The Terminators at it again. Lets here your comments

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

The Terminators at it again. Lets here your comments

Postby Ken Fincher » Fri May 29, 2009 9:47 pm

I figured this would be the best place to put this post scince this mainly affects our South West members.

If Arnold has his way he would close all of the Parks & Campgrounds.
:shock:
Arnold is not so cool anymore 8)
He needs to make a couple of movies & donate the money to California's economy.

This is realy sad because a lot travelers will change there camping & traveling plans to exclude California if his plan go's threw.

Us included :cry:
(We usually make at least 4 camping trips a year into Cal.)
There are a few nice Cailifornia State Parks in Cal. that are on national forest & (Parks) land that we have camped at, & it's always amazed me that we could never get the usuall discounts like we usually get when camping in a national forest & (National Parks).
The cure for these parks is to remove California's involvment with these parks & let the national forest & Parks take total control. :thumbsup:

You Californians have some real nice destinations to travel to, & a lot of nice Campgrounds, But they have slowly been dwindling :cry:

Well I guess If Arnold has his way we will all have to camp at Doug's house :lol:

I hope Pamplin Grove is not in Arnolds eye sights. :no: :( :no:

Ken F.
P.S. I may have to exclude Cal. state parks in my signature. :disappointed:
Thanks to the Highways & Byways & our National & State Parks,What a beautiful Country we live in.

( www.VegasTeardrop.com )
Ken Fincher
The 300 Club

Postby Kevin A » Fri May 29, 2009 10:58 pm

Ken, I hadn't heard about this bit of news. :x
Pamplin Grove is a County Park, I doubt it will be affected.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Yogi Bear » Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 pm

:thinking: No big changes in our state parks system.

Once a pond a time the Federal Parks were so broke.
They could not afford to pay someone to take the money at entrance gate... :o
Then our taxes went up and everything was O.K. then. :lol:
Now they have person at the gate taking the money too ;)

Keep on camping!
Paul

"It ain't over until it's over"
Yogi Berra
Yogi Bear
Teardrop Master

Postby Ken Fincher » Sat May 30, 2009 12:48 am

Kevin
Thats great :thumbsup:

We will keep our fingers crossed.
Here is a list of possible closures if Arnold the park terminator get his way.
Apperently he did not do much camping in his homeland as a boy, & apperently threw all of his fame once he came to the United States he must of seen many motel room walls & movie set trailers.

Thus he must of missed out on some great times this is his loss, It should'nt be ours.

He ought to be ashamed & am sure the Kennedy's are proud of his ideas on this matter, & Teddy Rosavelt is probably turning in his grave :shock:

Among parks officials said could be closed:

Henry W. Coe State Park, near Morgan Hill, the largest state park in Northern California
Candlestick Point State Recreation Area
Austin Creek State Recreation Area and Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve near Guerneville
Tomales Bay State Park in Inverness
Petaluma Adobe State Historic Park
Portola Redwoods State Park, near Cupertino
Benicia Capitol State Historic Park
Benicia State Recreation Area

State parks in the Bay Area
Marin County:
Angel Island
China Camp
Marconi Conference Center, historic park
Mount Tamalpais
Olompali, historic park
Samuel P. Taylor
Tomales Bay

Napa County:
Bale Grist Mill, historic park
Bothe-Napa Valley
Robert Louis Stevenson

San Francisco County:
Angel Island
Candlestick Point State Recreation Area

San Mateo County:
Año Nuevo, natural reserve
Bean Hollow, beach
Big Basin Redwoods
Burleigh H. Murray Ranch (park property)
Butano
Castle Rock
Gray Whale Cove, beach
Half Moon Bay, beach
Montara, beach
Pacifica, beach
Pescadero, beach
Pigeon Point Light Station, historic park
Point Montara Light Station (park property)
Pomponio, beach
Portola Redwoods
San Bruno Mountain
San Gregorio, beach
Thornton, beach

Santa Clara County:
Castle Rock
Henry W. Coe
Pacheco
Martial Cottle Project (park property)

Solano County:
Benicia, recreation area
Benicia Capitol, historic park

Sonoma County:
Annadel
Armstrong Redwoods, natural reserve
Austin Creek, recreation area
Bothe-Napa Valley
Fort Ross, historic park
Jack London, historic park
Kruse Rhododendron, natural reserve
Petaluma Adobe, historic park
Robert Louis Stevenson
Salt Point
Sonoma, historic park
Sonoma Coast
Sugarloaf Ridge

This information is wright from ABC News.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/state&id=6836054&rss=rss-kgo-article-6836054

(200+ Parks to close out of approx. 259 Parks if he has his way.)
:disappointed: Ken F. :x
P.S. We should be gratefull that Arnold the Parkenator can't run for president. :banana:
:cigar: HERE'S TO ARNOLD :cigar:
Thanks to the Highways & Byways & our National & State Parks,What a beautiful Country we live in.

Ken Fincher
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat May 30, 2009 3:17 am

Let's see... Summer's fast approaching.
That's when people go camping.
What an idiot!!! :thumbdown:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby satch » Sat May 30, 2009 6:36 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Let's see... Summer's fast approaching.
That's when people go camping.
What an idiot!!! :thumbdown:

The closers will take effect next year, they should be open this summer.
But either way, pretty sad state we live in.
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Ken Fincher » Sat May 30, 2009 10:53 am

Here is a few links reguarding the Parkenators plans.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_12481195?source=most_viewed

http://www.fox13now.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-us-california-parks,0,1064029.story

http://www.sacbee.com/capitolandcalifornia/story/1901017.html

Environmental groups already have begun to collect signatures on petitions and draft letters to legislators. A rally is planned at 5:30 p.m. on Monday at Santa Cruz's Natural Bridges State Beach — one of the parks slated for closure — by Friends of Santa Cruz State Parks.

Ken F.

Ken Fincher
The 300 Club

Postby jeep_bluetj » Sat May 30, 2009 6:14 pm

IMHO, it's the typical scare tactic Calif polititicians use EVERY time the voters get a tad bit fed up with being taxed so much.

The folks up in sacramento say, "We'll show em, we'll cut the stuff they really see and use, like parks."

Nothing about the hundreds of useless commisions, the insane overspending on all kinds of stuff, etc.. Nope, it's always "The schools are going to fall down, we'll fire all the teachers, cops won't have bullets, all the murderers will be released, the parks are going to be closed!!!!"

I'll bet a large number of calif state parks are/could be self-sufficient. I know I need to pay to get in, I pay for a car, I pay for the reservation, I pay quite a bit to go enjoy a park. If they're gonna close em, sell em. Private orgs will run them just fine.

And it _is_ shortsighted. Close the parks, remove a source of revenue, and remove all kinds of tourist $$ that feed the economy. (Of course, the largest tax increase in history, occuring during a recession, will undoubtably be great for the economy too...)

(I really should move, this state's politics are really just insane. My 9 year old understands economcs better than calif's leaders. )
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby satch » Sat May 30, 2009 6:45 pm

jeep_bluetj wrote:IMHO, it's the typical scare tactic Calif polititicians use EVERY time the voters get a tad bit fed up with being taxed so much.

The folks up in sacramento say, "We'll show em, we'll cut the stuff they really see and use, like parks."

Nothing about the hundreds of useless commisions, the insane overspending on all kinds of stuff, etc.. Nope, it's always "The schools are going to fall down, we'll fire all the teachers, cops won't have bullets, all the murderers will be released, the parks are going to be closed!!!!"

I'll bet a large number of calif state parks are/could be self-sufficient. I know I need to pay to get in, I pay for a car, I pay for the reservation, I pay quite a bit to go enjoy a park. If they're gonna close em, sell em. Private orgs will run them just fine.

And it _is_ shortsighted. Close the parks, remove a source of revenue, and remove all kinds of tourist $$ that feed the economy. (Of course, the largest tax increase in history, occuring during a recession, will undoubtably be great for the economy too...)

(I really should move, this state's politics are really just insane. My 9 year old understands economcs better than calif's leaders. )

Bro, after reading your post,I thought I thought I was reading my own thoughts. 90% of the parks I been too, had no one working there, had to "self pay" at the gate. I live/work in Sac, plus I'm a municipal employee (not the state,thank goodness) It would blow your mind how much money is flushed down the toilet.
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat May 30, 2009 10:56 pm

This is not politics just economy sadly
He is closing 8 out of 10 parks in San Luis Obispo County.
I guess he has to do something and this is what he choose.

Maybe you who want to come should be dropping a line to Our wonderful Gov. and tell him how much money you will not be spending in his state.

If you kept track of last years visit or prev. yrs add 10% and let him know that the closing of the parks or the ones you most go to will keep you away.

I belong to the California State Parks Foundation
The more the members the more powerful it becomes.
http://www.calparks.org/

Do not make it politcial just fact. He may not realize what he is missed.

http://gov.ca.gov/interact

If you live in CA you know what to say.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat May 30, 2009 11:49 pm

If you want to help stop park closing
the is a patision at the Cal. State parks foundation site.

This is all I can say without getting into polatics.

Never have I seen the travel Trailer so indangered as to where they can and can not go :cry:

There are many naional forests and Parks as well as county parks and Priv. parks that can be camped at but this might be the tip of the iceburg. for Closures nation wide.
These are hard times and camping is the cheepist way to take a vacation, to think that this could be indangered :(
I do not know what more to say.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ken Fincher » Sun May 31, 2009 12:01 am

Well I just found out how California is going to start paying there debt.
:x
I just got home & started opening my mail & to my suprise I open a letter & theres a picture of the back of my Teardrop Trailer :shock:
The letters from the Violations Processing Department, :QM It's a Notice Of Toll Evasion they say that I evaded pay toll to cross the Golden Gate Bridge.

This is a bunch of B/S I paid $9 to cross the bridge on 5/4/09 as we we're working our way home from the Dam Gathering & we did'nt cross any of the other Bay Bridges after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge we headed staight for hyw 1 to go down the coast.

this realy erks me is they are saying I owe

$6.00 Toll Fee (which we paid the man in the booth $9 for the car & trailer)

$25.00 toll Evasion Penalty

$31.00 Total Amount Due

Maybe the toll man putt it in his pocket :QM
He was probably an elegal alien,(the elegals are what Arnold should take care of this would fix all of calif. problems)

And I really do not think we still have the reciept, If it was years ago probably would have kept it, But we've been across the GG Bridge so many times it is not quite as exciting as it use to be.

We do try to always avoid going into San Fransisco NOW it looks as if we will start avoiding the whole Bay area. :(

Now it looks as if we are going to fill out a statement & have it notorized which will cost $5 to $10 dollar + the inconvienience.

:lol: Maybe I'll send the bill for my expenses to 8) Arnold 8) :lol:

We all know how far that will go

Ken F.

Ken Fincher
The 300 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sun May 31, 2009 12:30 am

That does it, I'm sending Sarah down to straighten California up!!!! :R
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Ken Fincher » Sun May 31, 2009 2:44 am

Dave

OOOOOOWE

What a Pair that would make
:cigar: :wink:

If you we're to do that this is what Californian's
would have to do.
:surrender:

I do think it would be better if she stayed in Alaska so she can keep us all safe buy keeping an eye on Putin. :laughter:

Dave how long have you been in Juneau?

It has been around 4 years scince we've been to Juneau, I do have to say that Alaskan trip has to be in the top 3 of all of our trips.
I do hope to take a trip up into Alaska with a Teardrop within the next few years.

I would recomend to anyone out there if they can make a trip to Alaska,
DO IT
Either by Ship, Train or plane or a Teardrop because you will not be dissapointed it has to be the most beutiful state in our country, & if you have a chance to take a couple of helecopter tours it is well worth the money, There is nothing like taking chopper ride esspecially if it is a small helecopter, I would personally stay away from the big choppers like they fly out of Vegas to the Grand Canyon.
(if thats all thats availible still take it)

Dave you live in a great place.

Ken F.

Ken Fincher
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 31, 2009 9:32 am

What I've heard and read is that 220 parks out of 279 are on the possible list for closure. In the years since the property tax laws changed, some primitive campgrounds have been destroyed by floods or fire and have simply never been rebuilt. For lack of money, somewhere around a dozen campgrounds closed last year and will probably never open again. Most of those were the primitive, fee-free or nearly fee-free types. I suspect those types are what will be on the chopping block again this year.

In the past, the state would use the less evil variety of incarcerated criminals to help keep the parks clean and updated during the off-seasons. Now, many of these people are being let out early to save money in the prison system. This also adds to the burden of how to care for the state’s parks.

While legislators haven't decided which parks will close or for how long, they won't close any that are making money. They may close some forever; but, maybe there will be some that are only closed during the winter months. What I worry about are the ones that are slated for "temporary" closure for one year or more as there is the possibility that those may be sold or never open again. Also, the vandalism and fire danger are greater in a vacant park. Many of us would be willing to pay more to camp if we knew that it meant we could preserve more of our state park heritage. I am hoping the legislators will consider that.

I think it would be okay to sell some of the insignificant, seldom used parks…. I’d like to see some of the smaller ones turned into county parks. Selling/giving state parks to the National Park System is not necessarily good. Sometimes, the NPS sublets their parks to privately run groups who tend to neglect them in favor of the dollar.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to South West