Leaving Saturday for San Simeon and Big Sur...

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Leaving Saturday for San Simeon and Big Sur...

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:09 am

Looking forward to being back in one of my favorite areas. Reserved 3 days in the primitive section of San Simeon SP and going up to Big Sur at Kirk Creek for a day in between.

Then heading down to Oceano Dunes State Beach Recreational Vehicle Area in Pismo Beach. Never been there before and I think it will be a blast to camp right on the beach and "responsibly" explore around with the Jeep. (I hear there's a bit of tension with some local residents wanting that place shut down to OHVs.) However, I hope nights are quiet and I hear only the sound of ocean waves crashing. Any tips on the experience and things to do in town from those that have done it or are local?

Next to South Carlsbad SB for a couple of days. Biking around the beach town and hanging out.

Lastly, a day in the mountains of Boulevard Ca. at a retreat with friends and then home. (Gotta stop and have a date shake in Dateland, AZ on the way too- it's tradition!)

Any teardroppers in the area about the same time?
Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:25 am

We use to ATV in Pismo Beach in the 80's and at that time they were trying to shut it down for off road activities. It's a lot fun riding dunes along the ocean. Another spot similar would be Cantamar, Mexico but the dunes are somewhat smaller. Stay on established trails and don't run over vegetation and it should be available for others in the future. Sounds like a great trip, Carlsbad State Park is a premium spot to camp along the Pacific. Oregon Dunes is another primo spot along the Pacific and there's primitive camping available there, wonderful dunes. You didn't mention Imperial Dunes (Buttercup & Glamis) that are close to AZ. Must be too hot for you :lol: . :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby emiller » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:08 pm

Scott I camped at Oceano dunes acouple of years ago and couldn't wait to leave, it was very noisy for me with all the kids on atv's and sand buggies. Then we camped at a camp ground right on hwy 101 big mistake with trailers full of atv's there flags would make a lot of wipping noise most of the night then when you thought it would quite the darn amtrak would come by and blow his horn all the way thu town. Now if I would have taken my quad I would have had more fun.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:58 pm

emiller wrote:Scott I camped at Oceano dunes acouple of years ago and couldn't wait to leave, it was very noisy for me with all the kids on atv's and sand buggies. Then we camped at a camp ground right on hwy 101 big mistake with trailers full of atv's there flags would make a lot of wipping noise most of the night then when you thought it would quite the darn amtrak would come by and blow his horn all the way thu town. Now if I would have taken my quad I would have had more fun.

Whoa ... THAT was my only reservation about this... reservation. Seriously, I was concerned if this place would be too wild for me at "night". What I want to do is spend the day at Morro Bay on my way down the coast and then come in late to the dunes in hopes that at night the activities stop and it would be a nice ocean experience. Then in the morning possibly explore the dunes in the Jeep or just take off. So what I'm really concerned with is what's it like after the sun goes down. (I'm a non drinker too and don't know if this will be large groups of intoxicated party people?) Do you think by it being a Wednesday that I have a better chance of the kind of night I'm hoping for? Or should I just change my plans. My other option is to do San Onofre state beach. It would put me on the road sooner from Morro Bay, but so what if the dunes are out of control. Any more input?

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote: Carlsbad State Park is a premium spot to camp along the Pacific. Oregon Dunes is another primo spot along the Pacific and there's primitive camping available there, wonderful dunes. You didn't mention Imperial Dunes (Buttercup & Glamis) that are close to AZ. Must be too hot for you :lol: . :D Danny

Thanks for the send off Danny. I love Carlsbad and have stayed at their SP on the ocean about 6 times before so I know I got lucky landing a spot in the summer. It's always booked up 6 months in advance!

As far as anything below 6000 ft elevation in AZ in the summer... forget about it. We either go UP in our state - or OUT to another one.

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby emiller » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Scott we where there on a weekend and it was nuts, maybe Wednesday will be good. I love that part of California and actually from Malibu beach park all the way up to Astoria, Oregon is awsome. Love the coast. Oh and love San Diego area. Oh and love the Redwoods. Oh and love Glassen. Oh and oh well you get the picture I just like traveling and camping. Have a great time 8)
emiller
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:13 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:As far as anything below 6000 ft elevation in AZ in the summer... forget about it. We either go UP in our state - or OUT to another one.

Scott G.

Scott, I got to go to 7,000 feet some day and see where my brother lives in Show Low AZ but I bet it's hot :sweaty: there in the summer too. I never camped on the beach in Pismo since we stayed in my cousins driveway. It was quiet, very close to the dunes and her yard was nothing but sand. Maybe you could see if there's another park close by. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:57 pm

The biggest vintage trailer rally in the US is held at Pismo Coast Village RV Park.
it is the first place I spent the night in my teardrop. Very nice and full service. Nothing in the area is far away, it is very compact. It is right on the ocean and as far from the freeway as you can get. You will need to call ahead for reservations but it is worth it. You can drive to the dunes area and sleep in comfort. ;)
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:29 am

dmb90260 wrote:The biggest vintage trailer rally in the US is held at Pismo Coast Village RV Park.
it is the first place I spent the night in my teardrop. Very nice and full service. Nothing in the area is far away, it is very compact. It is right on the ocean and as far from the freeway as you can get. You will need to call ahead for reservations but it is worth it. You can drive to the dunes area and sleep in comfort. ;)

Thanks, I think I might hang my hat and gamble on that last statement of yours!

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:43 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:
Oasis Maker wrote:As far as anything below 6000 ft elevation in AZ in the summer... forget about it. We either go UP in our state - or OUT to another one.

Scott G.

Scott, I got to go to 7,000 feet some day and see where my brother lives in Show Low AZ but I bet it's hot :sweaty: there in the summer too. I never camped on the beach in Pismo since we stayed in my cousins driveway. It was quiet, very close to the dunes and her yard was nothing but sand. Maybe you could see if there's another park close by. :D Danny

Hey Danny, your brother is sittin pretty. Show Low is definitely relief as compared to Phoenix. Always good sleeping temps anyway. (Speaking of sleeping). I'm going to give Oceano the once over and if I get a bad vibe about it I'm movin on. I just hope I don't have a domino effect like the one Eddie had! (We've all been there before in some shape or fashion though.) :lol:

I'm taking off to San Dimas East Shores RV Campground now. There's a Jazz Fest going on at Bonelli Park which neighbors it, so an already nice and popular campground is booked up for the fesitivites. Again, I got lucky to get in. San Dimas is always my halfway stopping point to Cambria and East Shores is my preferred spot (way over priced though). There's even a hot tub spa right next door looking at sunset views and the night lights of L.A. Nice place to take your lady/wife/mother-in-law... hey it's nice. :lol:

Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby emiller » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:09 pm

Man Cambria is a sweet place, spent one 4th of July on the beach half way between Cambri and Cayucas and saw both town fireworks besides all the people on the beach having fun with there fireworks and bon-fires. Your making me jealous Scott. :R
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:43 pm

how strange I posted on here this morning and I am not there.

If you need any sites of what is what in the area let me know

Ron Dickey
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:34 am

Teardrop sighting in San Dimas at Motel 6. Homebuilt with compact red tow vehicle. Forum member maybe? I'm on my way to 24hr Fitness for a 5 dollar workout, shower and clothes wash. Yep, I soap up and shower with my workout gear on after I train & boom, ready to go. So not a bad deal. Then off to Cambria where I am just blown away by the 51 degree cooler temperature as compared to Phoenix right now... yow - that's nice. Thanks for the local info offered on my travels and I will certainly be checking back for tips - local knowledge is very much appreciated and explored by me!
Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Esteban » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Scott, welcome to the neighborhood. If you're going to be in Morro Bay and hungry for fresh seafood I have two suggestions. Both places serve the freshest seafood available in the area and have casual outdoor bay front patios where you can relax and enjoy your meal.

Tognazzini’s Dockside Restaurant
1245 Embarcadero, Morro Bay, CA 93442
(805) 772-8100
Summer Hours
Sunday through Thursday 11:00 to 9:00
Friday & Saturday 11:00 to 10:00
They also have a fish market, DocksideII, with take out food you can enjoy on their patio.

Giovanni's Fish Market serves fresh locally caught seafood from a take out window. They have a bay front patio where you can relax and enjoy your meal.
Giovannis Fresh Fish Market
1001 Front St.
Morro Bay, CA 93442
(805) 772-1276
located on the Waterfront Embarcadero

If you'd want to camp in Morro Bay, instead of Oceano, the Morro Bay State Park campground is on the edge of town. Montana de Oro State Park, about 10-12 miles south, has a primitive campground within walking distance of an ocean cove and beach.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:55 pm

I would vote for Montana de Oro, but the SLO angels are not there to protect you. :lol:
emiller
Donating Member

Next

Return to South West