Winter Teardropping in Arizona...Any advice for me????

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Winter Teardropping in Arizona...Any advice for me????

Postby Kayperkay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:01 pm

My life has done yet another 180 but on the bright side I have the whole winter off!!! :twisted: I live in Oregon and have always wanted to spend a winter in Arizona or New Mexico :icedtea: . I'm looking for advice as to where some sweet spots are to camp down there. 8) Especially if it's free camping... I'm currently thinking after the holidays...Jan and Feb. so please send all the hot tips a girl can use for spending a couple of months down south....

Thanks.....Kay :ilovecamp:
Life is Divine Chaos..Embrace it..Forgive Yourself..Breathe..And Enjoy The Ride!!!
Kay
Director Jefferson State Tearjerkers
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Kay,

I just have a minute to answer you. Arizona is a big big state, so first I must ask you do you want to explore the state or find one place to reside for the winter? Arizona has more national monuments than any other state, so visiting all of those alone would keep you busy if you want to explore. And boondocking is an Arizona birthright with lots of BLM land to choose from. Quartzsite is a big time destination turned RV City in the months of January and February. You certainly wouldn't be alone.

Eddie Miller will probably chime in and is a great resource for AZ camping. He use to run the Arizona Round Up and still organizes teardrop gatherings all around the state.

Check out this link for more info:

Arizona National Monuments

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Kay,

I was thinking Quartzsite too. I've never been, but I've seen pics!!!

Here's a small page that just turned up!

http://www.rv-camping-lifestyle.com/rvi ... e-blm.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby triker45 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Kay,
You are going to miss the best part of our winter. Keep the shiny side up and have a ball. Arizona is a fun place to visit and I am sure you will be hearing from Eddie. Have been to several of his gatherings and had a ball. I think he has a couple scheduled for Jan. and Feb. Donna and I are thinking of going down to one of them. I think it is the one in Why, Arizona. May see you there. Talk to you later. Jerry, Donna and Sassy.
triker45
Teardrop Master

Postby ssrjim » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:47 pm

I live and camp in Arizona. In Jan and Feb you are going to want to stick to the deserts. It will get too cold in the high country. Do you need restrooms and the like?
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kayperkay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:07 pm

See...All you guys are totally the best! :thumbsup: I knew if I put this out there...the awesome people in this forum would lead me in the right direction.
First...I think I want to travel around and see everything possible...I also do want to stay in low elevation...whole reason for going south. I've never traveled there except along Hwy 10 so I have no clue which areas to look at.
Thanks for the tip on Quartzsite....looks interesting??? It will probably be a must see destination for sure!
And Jerry...Just think...If I'm gone all winter...I wont be able to paint her Pink! 8)
I'll be looking for dates and destinations from Eddie and keep the tips coming!!! :applause:

Kay
Kay
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Arizona, here she comes.

Postby Carol Reed » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:00 pm

Quartzite is supposed to be a total kick-in-the-pants. Yuma is full of snow-birds. And Vegas is on the way....

I sent you a PM with my #. Sorry, no hot-tub.....
Carol and Misty
FL Carol
2013 Camp-Inn 550 #609
Carol Reed
Teardrop Advisor

Snowbird

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:37 pm

8) Hi Kay,

For really good info, you might want to PM emiller (Eddie) as he has done TD gatherings and is a resident of the SW. I'm sure he could make some recommendations. A lot of folks in our area, from NoCal., go to Yuma, cuz it is really close for them. If you do go around the area you will find that staying at low elevations is going to be much warmer for you. Have a great season and keep on posting.

Joanie :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Kayperkay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Hey Carol....I will totally hit you up in Vegas...you were too much fun at The Glyphs 8) and sounds like we'll have too much fun in Arizona :twisted: :twisted: I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Kay

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Gage » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:17 am

Well Key, being how you want to stay in Southern AZ for the most part. Try and get to Bisbee, AZ. They have a Vintage trailer park (Shady Dell) there and welcome all Vintage Travel Trailers and Teardrops. You'll also go right through Tombstone on route 80 South off of the I-10. I haven't been there yet myself but hope to make it this next year.

http://www.theshadydell.com/
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Bisbee yes!

Postby ssrjim » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:27 am

Gage wrote:Well Key, being how you want to stay in Southern AZ for the most part. Try and get to Bisbee, AZ. They have a Vintage trailer park (Shady Dell) there and welcome all Vintage Travel Trailers and Teardrops. You'll also go right through Tombstone on route 80 South off of the I-10. I haven't been there yet myself but hope to make it this next year.

http://www.theshadydell.com/

Bisbee is very fun, do the ghost tour.
Lots of pictures here:
http://gallery.me.com/ramjim#100252

Checking into the Shady Dell
http://gallery.me.com/ramjim/100252/DSC_0435/web.jpg

Dinner at the dinner
http://gallery.me.com/ramjim/100252/DSC_0452/web.jpg
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gage » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:56 am

I met the past and new owners of Shady Dell last year at the Pismo Vintage Trailer Rally and I couldn't believe how young the new owners are.

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kayperkay » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:05 am

Shady Dell looks right up my Alley :thumbsup: I think I'll fit in with my 1956 Homebuilt....Oh Ya!! Thanks Guys
Carol...Wanna go? 8)
Kay

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby emiller » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:48 am

Yep Kay as they have told you stay on the southern end of Arizona. I think Flagstaff was 9 degrees yesterday with a high of 34. The southern deserts can be very chili as well. Your best bet for free dispersed camping would be the southern west part of Arizona like Quartzsite down to Yuma. Here is a map that gives you an idea of where BLM land is http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/ ... amping.pdf you can probably call them ask them to send you maps and info. http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recrea ... mping.html
We are having a gathering in Why, Arizona in February and should be fun. Also we will be in Quartzsite for the rock and roll car show in January.
http://www.quartzsitervshow.com/carshow.htm The Quartzsite link will also tell you about other venues there. I thing about Bisbee you can get snowed in in the winter. Its very cold in Bisbee but a very cool place to visit. I heard that the Shady Dell is thinking about getting rid of camping there and only having vintage trailers for camping. I also heard they might have to move out of there for mining expansion. the owners should be at the Goodguys event this November and I'll ask them. They usually have discounts with them also to stay there. I think George has stayed at Dome Rock off I-10 just before you come into Quartzsite from the west and is a popular stop to camp for free. Our friends from Canada are in Portland right now on there way down here. They are winter residents and our host when doing the Why, Arizona gathering and would be a good place to stay if you like. Here is my phone number if you need anything when your in Arizona 602-999-0163. Also let me know and my wife and I might camp with you a couple of nights.
Eddie
8)
emiller
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:11 am

emiller
Donating Member

Next

Return to South West