Vintage Racing Weekend May 5-6 2012

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Vintage Racing Weekend May 5-6 2012

Postby Midget » Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 am

Just got back from a weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway Park on the west side of the central valley across from Bakersfield. Had a great time watching the Vintage Auto Racing Association run and since it was their British Extravaganza weekend there was a british car show along with lunch time track drives. Looking at the facility I thought it would be a great place to have an informal trailer gathering. Lots of space for dry camping right along the fence that borders the track. They have flush toilets and outside showers. It was in the mid 70's but tends to get up into the 80's on the first weekend in May. Had a lot of folks come by and check out our trailer.

Would anyone be interested in getting together next year?

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Mon May 03, 2010 11:45 am

Would anyone be interested in getting together next year?

I certainly would. :pipe:

One of the reasons I'm building a teardrop is so that it can serve as a trackside companion... although I'm not currently participating in any HPDE open-track days, I have friends that still do. I am also well-acquainted with several long-time VARA racers.

My tear should be ready to go this fall or even this time next year, so, bump this thread when you'd like to nail us down.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Midget » Mon May 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Chris,

We have a bunch of folks involved with VARA also and have been doing the Buttonwillow event for years. I'll post the info later this year when the dates are confirmed.

By the way. It may not be the most beautiful place but for $10.00 it's a fun weekend.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Okay folks. I just check the VARA calendar and the British Extravaganza weekend is June 4 & 5. This is one month later than 2010 and will probably be a little warm during the day. If your interested reply back.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:25 pm

I used to have a campsite for the Monterey Historics, but could not go one year, and let my campsite go. Big mistake. I had a killer spot in the Chaparral campground, with pavement and showers, hook ups, and everything.

If you have a campsite, you get first priority the next year, but if not, you have to get in line, and pray for enough openings. I had a site for about five years. DOH!

I've heard good things about Buttonwillow. It would probably be a fun gathering for vintage racing fans. Also a good father/son thing, as we need to get kids interested in vintage racing, or it will go away.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Who knows, maybe I'll have my car ready by next year. To many trailer projects. :?

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Midget » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:10 am

Hey Gage,

I saw a guy put one of those on it's roof a couple years ago. They go like stink!

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:14 pm

I don't know how legal my suspension is. I've got limiting straps on the rear axles and the whole thing is set in a way that on high speed turns, I'll lift the inside front wheel and from what I can tell the rear end squats like a good little topsie car should. ;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Midget » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Here we go again. 2012 vintage racing weekend is May 5-6. We're planning to take our '72 Scotsman for it's first outing after restoration. Thought I would throw out an invite if anyone else is interested. This isn't a formal gathering but would be fun to get a bunch of vintage trailers mixed in with the vintage race cars. $20.00 for the entire weekend. We'll be there.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby martha24 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 am

Bob,
It sounds interesting. Not totally close for us (David & myself), but closer than a lot of destinations and we like vintage cars. I've never been to a race track before.

This coming May would the cars be British, or just vintage.

In the camping area is the enough room to put up easy ups or privacy tents? We are good with dry camping.

Any other general information you can give?

We have teardrop that looks vintage, but it is new built on an old frame.
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Midget » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 pm

Martha,

Camping is on a big grassy field. No designated camp sites so you can put up any kind of easy up. We normally park right against the fence for a good view of the track. It is the British Extravaganza weekend but all classes of cars run. Even the prewar class. You can walk through the pits and visit with the drivers too.

As for the trailers, most folks there don't know much about old trailers so anything that shows up is okay. Remember, it's not a formal gathering, just an invite to anyone who wants to go.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Re: Vintage Racing Weekend 2012

Postby Midget » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Thought I would update the title in case people thought it was from 2010.
Midget
Teardrop Master

Re: Vintage Racing Weekend May 5-6 2012

Postby Facemeltingly Epic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:34 pm

I'd love to; it'd be yet another track to tow the Track Shack to! Unfortunately, I have a scheduling conflict. I work part-time at Sears Point as a turn worker for pro events, and will be working the AMA race there that weekend.

Funny, I live in San Jose and have never made it down to Buttonwillow. Maybe one of these days I should at least see about heading down there to work an SCCA event (I hold a national F&C license).
Scot

My build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=42585

Not enough photos there? Try here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c3e73ca184

Or here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... cf567dd7b7

"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often, and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Facemeltingly Epic
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 am

Scot,

Looks like we'll be at to diffeent racing events that weekend. I checked out your build pics and like what you've done on the HF frame. It's much more fun staying at the track than finding a room somewhere else. Maybe we'll hook up at Buttonwillow in the future.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Sorry I missed this... wife and I bought a house in March and escrow closed late April. Been moving a bunch of mostly-useless stuff since!

:lol:

Did you have a good time? Did you take any pics?

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Next

Return to South West