Route 66 advice...

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby jhb » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Not being a DO kind of person, and having a nice little gas BBQ that hooks up to the side of the trailer, I usually grill some chicken, pork or a steak, and anyone is welcome to use it. I will probably stop by TJs and get some frozen shrimp and asparagus (grilled shrimp and asparagus is how I've redeemed myself when camping with the DO folks), so might do that for an appetiser, that and sausages.

The wine rack will be full, but that isn't opened until the driving is done for the day.

I also have a built in gas oven (Il rent out for a slice of whatever is cooked in it) if anyone needs to bake something without all the fuss of a DO.

5 days and counting! :thumbsup:
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby martha24 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:16 am

When traveling we usually keep our meals pretty simple.

But it is time to start menu planning, shopping and the such. In the beginning it seemed so far away and now it is just around the corner. Time to get things pulled together.

And then let the fun begin. :thumbsup:
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby emiller » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:22 am

We are not taking much for meals. I do plan on eating at the Snowcap in Seligman. But between there and here easy meals.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby alffink » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:07 am

That is basically what I was planning
I'll pass all your comments along to Karen

The Snowcap sounds like a good idea, I'm always on the lookout for a good Malt

Just recently I saw a travle channel show, that featured the Snowcap and the family, that has ran it for many years, heck they were probably there when I last was there, summer of 1964

I am really looking forward to this, my family used to go camping one year, then roadtrip the next usually to either Ohio or Georgia, from about 1948 to 1965, went in the service summer of '66 but....life got in the way to continue this for me as an adult, maybe that will change

8)
alffink
Donating Member

Postby jhb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am

I'm always up for a meal out! 8)
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Otto13 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:48 am

Last night around 9:30 PM we got a phone call that my mother-in-law fell. Turns out she broke some ribs and collapsed a lung. She's 85 years old and in intensive care at the moment with a tube in her chest and my wife at her side. My wife will be adding Monday-Wednesday to her already Thursday & Friday time off. I will be staying with my 87 year old, frail father-in-law tonight and probably Monday through Wednesday night (I work down the street from their condo).

I am extremely grateful that we haven't lost Mom...but also kind of ticked (rather than disappointed) that we may not be making this run. To say we were looking forward to this would be an understatement. We have been putting in long hours at work knowing we would be soon tooling around in the desert with like-minded travelers...

The timing could not be worse...I mentioned to my wife this morning about Route 66 trip and she sighed and said, "I'd like to just hook up the Teardrop and NOT come back..."

We're not out yet but...
Otto13
Teardrop Builder

Postby jhb » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:11 pm

Bummer. A lot of us could, in just a few seconds, be in the same boat. Every time we plan a trip we wonder if we are going to get 'that call', so our hearts, thoughts, and prayers go out to you.

We to want to just hook up the trailer and not come back. And we haven't had anything bad happen!
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby martha24 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Otto,
I'm really sorry to hear that. It especially doesn't seem fair as you were the original ones who started the ball rolling so to speak. :(

I'm off to help out at my elderly parent's house right now, so I understand completely. Fortunately there are a variety of family members who live in town with us, but if someone ends up in the hospital, that is another situation entirely.

I hope everything can work out somehow. Plus prayers for the whole situation and people involved. :worship:
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby emiller » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Real bummer for everyone. Well you need to take care of family first. Route 66 will be here for a long time. I just can't wait to go. I am ready to get out of town.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 am

The teardrop is packed, the car is pack. See you all tomorrow (oops, later today) at Calico. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby emiller » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:51 am

I am just leaving. 8)
emiller
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Boy what a neat trip we had. A bit windy at first in Calico and cold but we got to see Calico and ride the train. And because it was too windy we ate dinner at Calico and the next morning we ate breakfast at Peggy Sue's Diner. We stopped a few times before our next Camp spot at Cool Springs, AZ. From there no with winds died down we went on and camped at Seligman after having lunch at the Snow Cap. Got up Saturday to a 34 degree morning had a small breakfast and down the hill we went and arrived at Cabela's at 12:00 noon. Spent the night at Cabela's and I am now home. The California group headed out starting out around 10:00 am with another then 3 left for Dome Rock at 1:00 pm. so thanks to those who braved the cold and wind what dedicated tear droppers. :thumbsup:
emiller
Donating Member

Postby alffink » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:20 am

It was a great trip along RT66 through the CA and AZ desert into the AZ mountains.

The camp site at Cool Springs was unique, but was old 66 at it's best, need pictures to describe it, it was a photo-op unto itself.

Karen and I are already discussing doing this at least as far as Kansas....
No dates probably will have to wait for retirement, but this is now high on the list.

:thumbsup:

Oh, Ed any word on the outcome of Bud's surgery??
we're praying for him.
:worship:
alffink
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37 am

Al I posted a update on Bud on the general discussion.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:02 pm

I posted pictures on the trips and pics section of the forum.
emiller
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to South West