calico ghost town

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

calico ghost town

Postby bc toys » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:33 pm

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p299 ... st%20town/

trip to calli
click on this pic to see all pics of Calico Ca. trip. It would be a great place for a gathering for Las Vegas area and southern Az and southern Cali area. People are really nice and lots to do, they have hiking trails and jeep trails and ATV trails. The park rangers are willing to help us with reservations so we can be together. Let me know if anyone is enterested in getting together.

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:47 pm

Becky, your timing perfectly fit with Halloween. Knotts Berry Farm certainly has changed over the years! Great pictures. Thanks for sharing! :applause:

Do you happen to know why the town was named Calico?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gage » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:47 pm

There is going to be 7 of us there on the 10th of this next month (Nov.). :thumbsup:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Becky, your timing perfectly fit with Halloween. Knotts Berry Farm certainly has changed over the years!

Sharon, Calico Ghost town is no where close to Knotts Berry Farm . It is only owned buy the Knotts Corp. They added all the asphalt and restored the buildings and made it a tourists attraction. It's considered to be a San Bernardino County Regional Park. And it's North/East of Barstow off of I-15. ;) I remember when there was no asphalt and some of the buildings were falling down. That was back in the 50's.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm

S. Heisley

Do you happen to know why the town was named Calico?

Sharon, since I have heard the name all my life living in southern California (Knott's Berry Farm has an attraction with the name, too) I wanted to try to answer your question.

After a few minutes digging around on the int@rw3bz (ain't it great?!) I think the story goes something like this:

Calico is a coarse cotton weave brought to the Colonies via Britian, who first brought it from Calicut, or Calcutta (as we know it today), India.

Calico fabric is also printed or colored in patterns of red, black or blue and black, or red, orange, black, etc... over it's off-white natural color.

Calico, the town, is in the Calico Mountains, named for thier geologic and mineral composition resembling the colors of the printed Indian cotton(?)... (of course than there're the varying breeds of cat called Calico, for their coloring among other physiological features unique to the breed, apparently).

*phew*

/breathe

Definitions of Calico on the Web

Definitions of Calico Ghost Town on the Web

Calico Ghost Town Wiki

Calico Mountains (California)

Kinda cool, actually; I had been curious myself. Now we know, sorta!

:lol:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Hey Chris, you and I sure work good together. :lol:
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:43 pm

:lol:

:cheerswine:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks Gage. I didn't know Knotts owned land near the Barstow area and that's what confused me. It's been well over 20 years since I visited Knotts Berry Farm and I don't think I've ever been to Calico.

Thanks, Chris (Teardropfocus). I had a hunch the name came from the minerals in the area but wasn't sure if that was all or if there was a story behind it. You have definitely enlightened me and probably a lot of other folks, too.

Thanks again, Becky (BC Toys). The pictures were great fun to see!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gage » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:44 am

S. Heisley wrote:Thanks Gage. I didn't know Knotts owned land near the Barstow area and that's what confused me. It's been well over 20 years since I visited Knotts Berry Farm and I don't think I've ever been to Calico.
Today Knotts doesn't own any land out there. After Knotts restored the town, they donated it to San Bernardino County years ago. And the County created the RV Park. Below is some history in a nut shell that I pulled from the internet ( http://calicoghostwalk.com/About%20Cali ... 0Town.html )

"Calico Ghost Town, founded in 1881, is a historic silver mining town 10 miles north of Barstow, California. Purchased in 1950 by Walter Knott of Knott's Berry Farm, the town was restored to it's glory of the richest silver strike of the 1800's. The silver mining stayed strong until the late 1890's when the world value of sivler fell to pennies on the dollar. Fortunately for the town of Calico, rich deposits of borax were discovered in the Calico Mountains in the early 1890's. Mining still continued until around 1910 when large deposits of Borax were discovered a lot closer to Los Angeles near a town now know as Boron, CA. Walter Knott donated the Town of Calico to the County of San Bernardino in 1967. Since then it has been a County Regional Park, dedicated to preserving the towns history."
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Gage wrote:There is going to be 7 of us there on the 10th of this next month (Nov.). :thumbsup:

Is there an occasion for the private gathering? Are you staying at the Calico campground? Is it open to invitation?
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby alffink » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:11 pm

No private gathering, Calico is the meeting point for the mini-route66 tour next week, check the route66 thread, just below this one here in the south west section....there are plenty of camps-sites still available at calico for wednesday night

come on out and join the caravan/convoy through CA an AZ RT66

8)
alffink
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Yeah anyone can join us. The Cabelas show is for teardrops but there is plenty of parking everywhere we are going.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:28 am

Can someone give me a basic route plan. I'd like to figure out mileage etc. It would be a last minute addition if I do decide to go. So Wednesday evening at Calico, then what/where?

Thanks
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby emiller » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:27 am

Cliff,
I think most will arrive early at Calico so we can go through and check it out. I figure after breakfast on Thursday we would head out down to the National Trails highway (Route 66) and stay on Old Route 66 as much as possible, we would stop at Amboy to check it out and take pictures. We would drive as far as time allows and then find a place to camp. I figure we would spend the night in Seligman, AZ on Friday then head down to Glendale, Arizona for the Cabela's show. There won't be any time limits but the the route would be Route 66 from Barstow, CA to Seligman, AZ. Then from Seligman, AZ we would out east on I-40 to Ashfork, AZ taking HWY 89 south to Wickenburg, AZ then taking Hwy 60 to the 101 freeway where we will be only a couple of miles north of Cabela's.
Eddie
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Troy Palmer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:31 am

I plan to make my second trip in my freshly finished 5x10 teardrop this Thursday at Calico. if you're in the area stop by after 5pm in the campground and say hi. Looking forward to seeing how the 3/4 oak ply and double insolation (roof) keep the trailer warm with temps expected in the mid-20's.
Palmer Boy's Teardrop's
Troy Palmer
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to South West