'05 Early Bird Redwood Get Together

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

'05 Early Bird Redwood Get Together

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:44 pm

Location: Swimmer's Delight Campground, Highway 36 near Carlotta, CA 12 miles East of Highway 101.
When: July 29th-31st.
Purpose: Escape the Heat. Tour Pamplin Grove, site of '06 Redwood gathering on Friday July 29th and start making plans for the '06 Redwood Gathering.
Cost: 15.00 per campsite each night, 5.00 per extra vehicle per night... 20.00 for RV site per night.

Notes on Swimmer's Delight: There are nice old growth redwood trees in this campround too, it's located right next to Pamplin Grove.
Van Duzen River located alongside campground.
Main bathroom has coin opperated hot showers.
Swimmer's Delight doesn't take reservations, first come-first serve. (Get there early if you want to get a campsite)
I would like to secure campsites #20, #21 and #22 as a central location, but unsure if anyone else will be able to get out there early enough... (I'll be heading out there on Weds. the 27th.
There are also 10 RV sites along the main entrance road, which have power... These sites are not located along the loop road in the main campground next to the river.

Directions coming from 101 South or North: Take Highway 36 to the East. (between Fortuna, to the North and Rio Del, to the South... Exit is right near Alton)
Exit is not a major exit, look for signs that also say Hydesville/Bridgeville.
There is a small redwood burl gift shop located at the exit.
Highway 36 is a two lane road.
Travel East through Hydesville and Carlotta and watch for a small store called Martin & Shirley's. (On the right)
Pamplin Grove is just past the store. (On the right)
Swimmer's Deight is just past Pamplin Grove. (On the right)

Directions from the I-5 corridor:
36 West at Red Bluff or 299 West to 101 (North of 36 Exit) or 20 West to 101. (South of 36 Exit)
Note: If traveling West on 36 from Red Bluff, Swimmer's Delight will be on your left... Shortly after passing by Griizzly Creek Redwoods State Park Campground.

Link For More Information On Swimmer's Delight: http://www.co.humboldt.ca.us/portal/living/county_parks/default.asp?parkID=VDUZEN1

Here's A Map...
The blue dot is where Pamplin Grove is.
The red dot is where Swimmer's Delight is.
(This map shows the 31 mile long Avenue of the Giants)

7 Day Weather Forecast: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?wfo=eka&zone=caz001&fire=caz201&county=cac023&dgtl=1&lat=40.529583333333&lon=-124.05125

Info about Pamplin Grove: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3959
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Postby tupelosue » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:08 pm

Hey Dean! good job on organizing this. i'm planning on driving up that fri am. maybe i can get a head start on thursday evening???

jan keller and i may try to caravan up together.

it will be a great weekend i'm sure. i just got back from a 2800 mile trip with my tear--the last nite was at lake shasta: it was SOOOOO hot! i realized why some people put ac in their tears. i kept opening my door to get it cooled off, but can't go to sleep for the nite that way! should be cooler in the redwoods. 8)
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:46 pm

That's why I live where I live...
It will deffinately be cooler up here in the redwood trees.
I spent all weekend working down in Southern Humboldt...
Daily highs were well over the hundred mark and two days prior to that I drove down to San Jose to get my future tow vehicle, again the temperatures soared well over one hundred.
I know some people don't consider that hot, but you have to remember... I'm a Fog Crawler!!! (Human equivalent to a spit bug)
I was very happy to find that cool moist ceiling of protection up in the sky when I neared home last night.
I think it got up to about 70F here over the weekend.

You gals might want to stop off in Legget and do the drive through tree. (Good photo op)
Jan is going to buy you lunch at the Chimney Tree in Phillipsville. ;)

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:52 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I think it got up to about 70F here over the weekend.

...ya know, I could really form an attitude about someone like that, this time of the year. :cry: :lol: ;) Especially since we have been sitting under a "Bermuda High" for the past month with temps in the upper 90's and humidity to match(double 90's)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:56 pm

...Dean, when I used to haul lumber outta the Eureka area I used to stop at a gift shop in a redwood tree. It was on one of the cut-across hi-ways between I-5 and 101 just south of Eureka(I think)...do you know where that is
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:10 am

Madjack,
There's a few of them down that way South of here.
You probably cut across on Highway 20 just North of Ukiah, runs by Clear Lake and comes out at Williams on I-5.
Was the floor of the gift shop inside the tree lower than ground level, kind of like a basement and did it have some really cool wood sash windows that were kind of like skylights right near the base of the tree?
That may be the one you are talking about, but I'll be damned if I know the name of it... I only drive by it about 70-100 times a year. :lol:

Postby madjack » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:18 am

...yep that's the one, you walked down into the tree base and the gift shop expanded out the back side of it. Always stopped there for a walkaround since there are few places a big truck can stop. The worst fog I have ever seen was in Eureka, I was laid over for the night and stayed at some little mom/pop truckstop restaurant and several of us truckers walked down to a nearby watering hole, when we went to leave the fog had rolled in and literally could not see your hand in front of your face...we like to have never found our trucks :lol: :lol: :lol:
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:27 am

It might be called the Enchanted Tree, but I'm not for certain, I've only stopped there a couple of times.
I'll bet that was back in the late 60's, early 70's... We don't seem to get that nice thick fog anymore.
I remember heading back from some hunting trips with my dad, coming down Lord Ellis Summit on the old 299 highway. The passenger (me) had to open the door of the Jeep and guide the driver along the road by looking down at the edge of the roadway.... Left Dad, Left!!!

Ahh!!! Found it!!!
It's the Eternal Tree House in Redcrest.

Postby madjack » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:56 am

...sure looks like the place!!! When I was up there it was in the mid/late 80's
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Red Woods

Postby billnut » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:40 am

:o Dean your a month to early my Hunter well not be ready till the 2nd week of Aug :cry: . Boy would I like to be there :applause: Have a great time :thumbsup:
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:16 am

Bill,
My tear won't be ready until about this time next year... I'm tenting it.

Postby mercy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:02 pm

ooh. want to go!

but roy (the husband) and i have committed to hosting a brew party that weekend (we also homebrew). :roll:

you want we should make a batch of brew for next year's gathering? :twisted:
-courtney
practice beautiful randomness and act kinda senseless
mercy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:03 pm

Courtney,
Move the brew party up to the Redwoods. ;)

Postby mercy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:37 pm

dang. y'all have fun up there... :(

but you've got me thinking now. we can bring the kettle to one gathering and brew on the spot, stick it in the bucket and bring it home, prep and bottle it, and have it ready for consumption at...say...another gathering a month or two later.

wonder if i can talk roy into this... :thinking:
-courtney
practice beautiful randomness and act kinda senseless
mercy
Teardrop Advisor

Return to South West