Question Owens Valley where to camp out

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Question Owens Valley where to camp out

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:46 pm

any one know of good places to camp in Owens Valley California. I working on going there in Aug. and have never been there except in snow.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey, Ron!

Depends on where in the Owens Valley you want to stay ... just west of Lone Pine, on the way to Whitney Portal, is a nice CG ... Keoh (sp?) Hot Springs just south of Bishop (west of why 395) ... almost any of the roads up into the Sierras have great CGs on high mountain lakes (or close by) ... and I know a GREAT spot near the south end of the Adobe Valley (between Lee Vining and Benson on why 140), right after you cross a cattle guard, up on a little knoll with a great view of the valley and the Sierras.

Good Luck, and have FUN!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Owens Valley

Postby nrody » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:42 am

Love the Sierras and the Owens Valley. Camping only is limited to your imagination. If you like private campgrounds there are several but I tend to stick to BLM or forest service facilities. Do you want to stay in the valley or go up into the mountains?
Bishop Creek Canyon offers several forest service campgrounds that are spectacular for the fishing and scenery. There are several campgrounds in the valley too. Rock Creek Canyon is a favorite too. At Rock Creek Canyon and HWY 395 is Toms Place- If you are in the area for dinner they have really good home cooked meals for reasonable prices and a small general store.
www.monocounty.org Check out this link for some great information. Also if you have AAA get a camping map of both Northers and Southern California. This lists all the campgrounds and amenities a wealth of information.
Also go online to get a visitor guide for Bishop, Mammoth, Bridgport they are really fast at getting info out for potential visitors. This is an endless playground for the whole family and you will enjoy it very much.
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

Postby notned » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:58 am

My two cents is that further north is better. We liked June Lake.

http://www.mammothlakes.com/June_Lake/Pine_Cliff_Resort.html
notned
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:39 am

Thanks guys, I got to relax but it was hot. Stayed above Independence
one day at Lower Grays Meadow Campground, the second 2 at Upper Grays Meadow Campground. the creek was running fast and made me wish I had a fishing pole.
We drove up to Onion Valley Campground in a friends 4x4, the car and trailer would have been a slow climb. Glad we stayed down below.
finally got to use a Bear Box but they said they had not seen any for 4 years.
We were told the bear boxes work so well they could not get much food.

If we do this again I am going to try and get a truck.

Ron
Relaxed now.... ;)
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby jhb » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:47 am

There are a couple of steep hills heading up out of the valley south of Bishop... :vroom:
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Return to South West