Month-long Winter Road Trip 2012

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Month-long Winter Road Trip 2012

Postby eveningprimrose » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:33 am

Branson, Missouri (where we live) is a tourist town, and the place dies in the winter time (Mid December - Mid March). In fact, my place of employment is closed for those three months. Business also dies-down for my husband during those three months, so we decided that would be a great time for a month-long vacation.

We are planning to start out some time in January 2012...pull the teardrop down into southern Texas, and then drive west to Arizona, and back. We plan to spend 3 to 5 days in each campsite, before heading off to another location. We definitely want to set-up camp in the warmer parts of the state. We can always take day trips to visit places that aren't so warm.

Only problem is, I've never been west of Oklahoma and my husband has never been west of Missouri. So, we have no clue where to stay or what to do. I've sent off for a lot of travel brochures and information, but when you know absolutely nothing about a place, they tend to be overwhelming.

Any thoughts on good campgrounds in the warmer part of the state, and places to see, and things to do, would be greatly appreciated! Even though we have battery power on the teardrop, we prefer electricity. Water in each site is not necessary.

Thanks,
~ Mel
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby emiller » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:29 pm

What part of Arizona.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 pm

If you get a chance, see Karchner Caverns. They even have a campground near by. We did not stay in camp, so I can not give you an opinion about the campground, but the caverns are great.

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/KACA/
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby emiller » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:22 am

Karchner Caverns got vandalized, I hope they didn't do too much damage it is pretty neat too see.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby eveningprimrose » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:39 am

Emiller, that's the problem...we don't know "what part" of Arizona. I would say the southern part is where we'd like to set up camp...where it's warmer in the winter. Then, we can drive up to the cooler climate, during the day. We just know we want to go to Arizona. LOL

Wolfgang, thanks for the info on Karchner Caverns. I'll see what I can find on it, and the campground! Checking the map, I see that Benson, AZ (where Karchner Caverns is located) is a little southeast of Tucson, which would definitely be in the warmer part of the state. :thumbsup:
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby emiller » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:07 pm

From Benson you could visit Tombstone and The Shady Dell although it is pretty cold in Bisbee in the winter.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby ssrjim » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:37 pm

emiller wrote:From Benson you could visit Tombstone and The Shady Dell although it is pretty cold in Bisbee in the winter.

and pretty hot in the summer 8)
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Catalina State Park

Postby ssrjim » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:41 pm

You know what might be a good base camp. http://www.pr.state.az.us/parks/cata/index.html
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

There are lots of choices for ya!

Postby mkitchen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:49 pm

There are a lot of spots to camp comfortably in AZ in the winter. There are about 10 zillion snow birders along the Colorado river from Bullhead City to Yuma and there is lots to see in the area.

Then head over to Tucson. Catalina is a good base and would allow you to travel quite a bit in the area. Check out Tubac, Patagonia, Sonoita from there. Head over to Cochise County, Sierra Vista, Tombstone, Bisbee and Kartchner. The caverns have a nice campground with showers. Catalina has showers as well.

Head on up to the Phoenix area too. White tanks CG on the west side and Usury Mountain CG on the east side are both nice spots to base a stay. Lots to do and see in the Phoenix area. Check out the Boyce Thompson Arborietum, it's great. Really there is a lot to keep some folks busy for a season. If you get tired of the area, you can also head further west and spend some time at Anza Borrego state park in CA. A lot more there to keep you active. Good luck.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:50 pm

I think for Arizona, Casa Grande would be a good area to find a camp and explore from there. While I have never camped around there it seems to me to be rather well located for the Sonora Desert Monument, Highway 79 between Tucson and Apache Junction. Then highway 88 to Roosevelt Dam (one lane road that is a blast to drive, have a working horn). Down to Organ Pipe and the Rez. there. Tombstone is some place close by. Not to mention Casa Grande itself. And there are probably other Anasazi sights around there.

In New Mexico I like Columbus and the rural highways from there to Arizona. Staying south of Interstate 10. But then I just plain hate interstates. I been around there in the winter also. Was not cold for this Idaho native. Carlsbad Caverns is in southern NM and worth a look see. Even better if you can walk it. I am glad I did that about 20 years ago, don't know if I could today but might try it.

Just my 2 bits

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Just thought of another spot.

Postby mkitchen » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Right off of Highway 10, half way between Tucson and Phoenix is Picacho Peak state park. It has a nice campground and some hiking trails in the area. From there you can disperse to quite a few different spots.

Casa Grande is a bit better located but it is a farming town and not much for activities or sites.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Return to South West