Redwoods Revisted - Sept. 16th-18th '05

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:50 pm

doug hodder wrote:Rob...not to worry....somehow teardroppers can whip up a potluck out of thin air....you won't go hungry...believe me that wasn't a problem last time, but there are stores relatively close by if a potluck breaks out that you aren't prepared for....don't sweat it....come up and have fun....for me I have a brand new Dutch Oven and I would like to do a load of cinnamon rolls for breakfast....maybe I need to experiment first on the neighbors....Doug

Doug,
Have you seasoned and sealed it yet?
It's easier to do that at home. (IMO)

Hey Everyone,
(Those that are coming)
I will have two surprises there... :twisted:
(Four if you want to get technical)

Postby tupelosue » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:11 pm

OOH I love surprises! :applause: :applause:

i think i have to work fri half day so won't be up til sometime late afternoon or early evening. save me a place please. hopefully next to someone that cooks in an oven or dutch oven :lol:

i met courtney at burning man. that was pretty cool to find her tear. she's looking for dutch oven lessons in the redwoods.

i saw 2 other tears there also, a 57 turquoise scadabout with britney (?) from san luis obispo and a cammo tear pulled by a cammo jeep from new jersey, with kayaks and bikes. i didn't get pics, tho. saw lots of TTT"s.
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby billnut » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:21 am

:D Dean there well be two fo us in my Tear my Sis is is also comming (shirley) Wow a potluck sound's great :applause:
Do we need to what to get a spot for our tear?
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:44 pm

billnut wrote:Do we need to what to get a spot for our tear?

Show Just Up. :lol:

Postby mercy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:28 pm

:shake hands:
it was cool to meet you, sue!

question one, potluck...
should i bring one savory dish & one sweet dish? it won't be in a dutch oven, but it should be edible.

question two, directions...
how the heck do i get there?

question three, trees...
what's the timing on fall colors on this end of the continent? even if there aren't any colors in the redwoods, are there places for a good weekend drive to check out some good fall trees in the coming months?
-courtney
practice beautiful randomness and act kinda senseless
mercy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kevin A » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:55 pm

mercy wrote::shake hands:
it was cool to meet you, sue!

question one, potluck...
should i bring one savory dish & one sweet dish? it won't be in a dutch oven, but it should be edible.

question two, directions...
how the heck do i get there?

question three, trees...
what's the timing on fall colors on this end of the continent? even if there aren't any colors in the redwoods, are there places for a good weekend drive to check out some good fall trees in the coming months?

I'm not Sue, but I can answer question#2 8) Redwoods revisited directions, Ok, after you check out the map make a note that the campground is approximately 8 miles east of Carlotta on highway 36. Look for a brown sign for Van Duzen County Park, on your right. Dean may have a photo of the sign that he could post.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:40 pm

Courtney,
Head up 101. (North)
If you and Roy are on teardrop time... Check out the Avenue of the Giants on your way up, 31 miles of scenic redwoods and sites. (It's really just the old two lane highway)
If it's near or about lunchtime when you reach Garberville, take the exit just North of there back onto the AOTG at Phillipsville (Pville) and stop for lunch at the Chimney Tree.... World's Best Cheeseburger; The Chimney Burger. These folks own Fort Seward Ranch. (One of the county's larger, if not the largest cattle ranch) They take the best of their stock and turn it into hamburger for that little burger stand.
After lunch and a little stroll up Ohman Creek, or a nap... start heading North again....
Whoops, I forgot to mention checking out The Drive Thru Tree at Leggett. (South of Garberville)
OK.... As you head North you will drive past The Pacific Lumber Company at Scotia/Rio Dell. Next, you will drive across a bridge that spans the Van Duzen River. If you're tired, that bridge will wake you up because of the way the road surface is grooved. (Eeeh-ahhh, eeeh-ahhh)
Just after crossing that bridge you will come to the "junction" for Highway 36 East. (Don't blink, or you might miss it) Look for a run down Redwood Burl Gift Shop... Turn Right on 36 East. (Two lane road)
As you enter Hydseville, the road takes a sharp right hand turn... Continue on into Carlotta and start looking for a small country store on your right called Martin and Shirley's.
Pamplin Grove is less than a mile beyond the store and Swimmers Delight is just a bit further...
After passing the entrance to Pamplin Grove, be on the lookout for a long straight stretch that heads up hill, the entrance to Swimmers Delight is just beyond the crest of that hill.
You will see three brown signs. (Swimmer, Tent and Picnic Table)
Turn right there, that's the entrance road into Swimmers Delight, there will be a loop road to your left into the campground, just beyond the pay station.
Food; Bring what ever you feel like... Nobody goes hungry.
Fall colors?.... You might see a few here and there, but Redwood trees are green year round. (Be carefull not to strain your neck) ;)

Postby Gage » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:28 pm

Hmmm, only a 10 hour drive for me if I don't stop for gas. I better plan on 12 hours and make some gas stops.

Say Bill, when do you plan on leaving for up there :QM

Have a good day, while I think about a pot luck, I just love food. Besides, Courtney promised me something.
;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Have a super time

Postby Guy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:03 pm

Dear All,
Geez, I am still on the east coast and now have missed two redwood events. Have a great time, all.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Have a super time

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:52 pm

Guy wrote:Dear All,
Geez, I am still on the east coast and now have missed two redwood events. Have a great time, all.

Psst... Hey Guy,
At least you know what the surprises are... ;) :thinking: :shhh:

Gage,
I hope you can make it... I'm looking forward to meeting you! :thumbsup:

Postby Gage » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:12 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
Gage,
I hope you can make it... I'm looking forward to meeting you! :thumbsup:

I talked to mama after I made that posting and right now she says no way, not with us going to Cottonwood, AZ the very next weekend. Besides she can't get Friday & Monday off. But I'm still working on it. Maybe I'll come up on my own. I've still got a week. Are you going Thursday or Friday?

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:16 am

Gage wrote: Are you going Thursday or Friday?

Gage,
Most likely... Friday.
Joanie teaches school at Hydesville, so she will be checking in at the campground starting Wednesday after school.
I've got three storefront jobs to do next week. I've got the first one scheduled for this Sunday. All the glass is here, but I haven't recieved any storefront yet. (That should have shipped out this past Wednesday, but I haven't recieved anything yet... I'll know more later today)
I'm just finishing up a contract on a new bank job, which bids at 2:00PM this afternoon... been working on it for the past two weeks. I'm still lacking a quote from one supplier for all the bullet resistant glass and doors.
I'll put up another post or PM you after 2:00PM when the dust settles.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:42 pm

Welp,
The way things are shaping up, looks like I'll be heading out there late Thursday morning. Hell... I may as well head out Wednesday afternoon. Just like last time, with all my running back and fourth...I'll be doing the same, shuttling my kids back and fourth for school. (No biggie)
I am NOT a happy camper though... I'm going to have to bug out early Sunday morning and go to work. (Thanks to my storefront supplier being late with my shipments)

Postby billnut » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:46 pm

Gage I would love to leave thursday with 5 hour's of sun light
and get there early friday. But I don't drive at night, I ffigure 13 hours driving. So I think my Sis and I well leave sunup Friday!
I don't think she can leave thursday :cry:
So if you see a red PT pulling a teardrop that be us! :lol:
And if you see CHP pulling over a Red PT for going to fast
that be us!! :lol:
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby mercy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:30 pm

i wish roy and i could leave during the day, we both love road trips, and we're both suckers for a good hamburger joint. however, i have to wait until after class before we can leave, which means we hit the road at 8.30 friday night. :(
that should put us there somewhere in the neighborhood of midnight, but i don't care. we've already missed one, i don't want to miss another one.
-courtney
practice beautiful randomness and act kinda senseless
mercy
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to South West