Ocean Cove, Oct 7-10, 2011

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby jhb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:39 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote: WE'LL SEE YOU GUYS ON SATURDAY!!! :thumbsup:

Talk about tear droppers with a serious addiction to dutch ovens... The food supply just doubled. :twisted:
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby tupelosue » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:54 pm

John I just unearthed my DO from burningman man piles, still dusty, unwashed. I could heat up the leftovers that are still in there. That sound okay?

I'll probably roll in late friday afternoon or early evening.

See you all then!
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby jhb » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Humm...4 week old leftovers. Yum!

Sue, I can do you one better. My kids invited themselves over (along with their wives and one grand child) for my birthday dinner tonight...that means I buy and cook the $teak$...(and do the dishes), and for desert they brought chocolate dipped in bacon. Yes, you heard right, thick cut cooked bacon covered with chocolate. But here is the best part, there was some left over and I'm bringing it to OC for Friday night. So Sue, if the green fuzz in your DO that used to be mountain man breakfast scoots out of the pan by itself at the sight of steal wool and there is none left to eat, I have chocolate covered bacon... :roll:

See you Friday!
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Directions? Any recommendations on a route to take from the central valley? I was thinking about I-80 to Hwy 12 to Hwy 116 through Sebastopol, Guerneville, Jenner. My other thought was Hwy 37 through Petaluma then Bodega Hwy and up Hwy 1. Your thoughts? :thinking:

Thx,
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby jhb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:42 pm

I was thinking the road down the Russian River would be the best, but I was hoping someone closer who actually knows would chime in here... :thinking:

If not, both my Garmin and Google maps say Russian River.
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dave A » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:31 am

I prefer using River Road off of 101 north of Santa Rosa. To me it seems a more direct route.[/b]
Dave A
500 Club

Postby jhb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:11 am

The map says the River Road is 10 miles, and 2 minutes, longer than through Sebastopol or there is a route further south of that, but the River Road might be an easier drive, and you actually get to see the river if I recall correctly.

The weather is looking great for the weekend!
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby rbeemer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 am

Rob wrote:Directions? Any recommendations on a route to take from the central valley? I was thinking about I-80 to Hwy 12 to Hwy 116 through Sebastopol, Guerneville, Jenner. My other thought was Hwy 37 through Petaluma then Bodega Hwy and up Hwy 1. Your thoughts? :thinking:

Thx,

Rob,

If I remember correctly, if you take hwy 12 then when you are in Santa Rosa you can turn right on to College Ave to get to Hwy 101, this will save you some time and distance. Take Hwy 101 North to the River Rd exit go over the freeway to Guerneville. The Map my show you that this is a longer route but it has less curves than going through Sebastapool. Now on River rd as you go over the Freeway there was a winery right there that had some decent wine. I believe also that Korbel Winery is on River Rd too, though I could be wrong. It has been a few years(10) since I have been in the area. I used to go abalone diving up by Point Arena and Stewarts Point.

Have fun this weekend
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 pm

I was informed by my employer today that I will be receiving MSHA (Mine Safety & Health Administration) Training in Ukiah on Friday & Saturday, so I can work on a gold mine sometime real soon.
It's with a heavy heart to have to cancel our trip to Ocean Cove. :(
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby jhb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:12 pm

We'll miss you Dean.
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dave A » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:44 am

Oh no, starvation looms :lol: :lol:
Dave A
500 Club

Postby jhb » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Yea, I've had to head back to the store to pack more food... :cry: :lol:
Dean, shall I save a sack of shrimp for Sunday... :thinking:
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby 46Kit » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:09 pm

To get from Hwy. 101 to Hwy. 1 your best bet is probably Railroad Ave., Stoney Point Rd., Roblar Rd. & Valley Ford Rd. (see Google map) This route is the flattest and straightest.

http://tinyurl.com/3qsj8ob

Just North of Santa Rosa you can pick up River Rd./Hwy 116, but there are lots of towns & traffic as Russian River is a popular vacation/resort area.

Even further North is Stewarts Point Skaggs Spring Rd. that runs from Healdsburg to the coast, but this is NOT recommended for towing as there is lots of elevation change and most of the road is very narrow and twisty. Highly recommended for sports car or motorcycle travel, it's one of my favorite stretches of asphalt on the planet!

No matter which route you choose please pay attention to your rear view mirrors and take advantage of the many turnouts to allow faster traffic to pass. I do a fair amount of recreational driving/riding in Sonoma and Mendocino Counties and nothing is more frustrating than coming up behind slow moving vehicle who's driver refuses to take advantage of the turnouts as legal passing zones are few and far between... :x

Looking forward to meeting up with y'all sometime mid-day on Saturday, have a safe and courteous trip to Ocean Cove!

Regards-HW
46Kit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jhb » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:19 pm

I drove that route heading back to SLO from IRG last year. Only problem with it is I got stuck behind some bicycle riders who refused to share the road...
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 pm

All loaded up and heading out early in the morning, seeya all there....
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

PreviousNext

Return to South West