Hey Utah

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Hey Utah

Postby suckerpunched » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Let's get somthing going next season,,,,north, south,east ,or west.... :) .
If you see my harley on a trailer,,,,call the police cause it's being stolen...
suckerpunched
Teardrop Master

Postby sunny16 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm in. Been trying for a couple of years to get some kind of gathering together. No real response. I would like to see our area have some kind of gathering. I will help plan one. Pick an area/campground and a date and off we go. I know there are quite a few TDers around. I have been on this forum for at least five years. We tried to get something going on the Tearjerkers and there were a couple of camping trips in Nevada. So I think there is interest. Let me know what I can help with.

Sunny16
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Seems a bit hard to get something going in the northern part of the Great Basin. Even harder in Idaho. I hope to get something going for the 4th of July in Ledore Idaho, ( see sticky ) ( thanks Mods ) You all are invited to join in that if you wish. I like camping along the Old Continental Rail Road between Golden Spike and Lucin. But that is absolutely bring every thing you need and a bit more. Camping is free.

:lol:

If you can find each other there.

Or a more well known place with some amenities even if it is in Idaho. The City of Rocks. Just west of Snowville. I like that place and am planning to camp there a time for two before Thanksgiving. Won't be a warm camp. I am pretty sure it is in the Great Basin water shed. I know at least some of it is.

8)

But I am open to other ideas

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:45 am

There is interest out here, although it's apathetic (at least my situation is.) It seems like every weekend is filled up with shtuff to do weeks in advance. Dollars and cents are also forcing me to stay close to home, but I'd be willing to save up and flop down in a tent or the ol' Aristocrat if a get together is planned. Boondocking is A-OK w/ me (actually preferred).

I can't imagine being able to get my tear campable by spring (the "workshop" has 2" of snow in it this morning), but I guess anything's possible.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby sunny16 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:08 pm

So, Suckerpunched started me thinking again. I have been looking for a campground central to everyone in Utah that would be available and easy to get to. I found Maple Grove CG down by Scipio off by itself. I have been there before and it is quite nice and when I was there, there were hardly any other campers. There is a creek or stream running thru the campground and they have three group sites. I will go down there inthe spring to take a look again and see what the group sites can handle. It would have to be sometime after the middle of May as that is when the campground opens. So this would give us/me time to plan this. Just a get together for all teardroppers in and around Utah and get to meet everyone. Any other ideas on campgrounds/site are welcome. Let me know what you think.

Sunny16
Bryan
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:23 am

For a boondocking back country adventure I would like to suggest Fish Springs National Reserve sort of north of Delta Utah about 40 miles or so. There is no camping at the reserve but it is surrounded by BLM ground. The Reserve has a bunch of large ponds and hand powered water craft is allowed on some. I can't remember if fishing is allowed but off the top of my head i will say no. It is on the Pony Express route and the original Lincoln Highway route. If you haven't been there before you won't believe the amount of fresh water out there in the middle of the desert. The road from Delta is paved about 1/2 the way, if I remember right. The rest wasn't to bad.

I was there in June 2008 and been itching to go back again some time. Mid May would be a good time as the desert may not be dried up yet. We would have to take all that we need. And make me get busy making a potta pot for me.

No camping fees on the BLM ground, I know there is the remains of a Pony Express station 10 miles away. and another 20 miles further on that I camped near in 2008. And a whole lot of desert and not many people.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:59 am

I have been to Maple Grove many times ... incredible in the fall, wild turkeys, deer, waterfalls, big ledges, etc. I usually boondock about 3/4 of a mile to the NNW where there's a great big rope swing for the kids. The campground is right against the ledges, so the sun sets early, with lots of daylight afterwards (nice in the summer). If I remember correctly, vault toilets, water, no power (may have changed since I've been there, 2 years).

I usually camp just out of sight in the lower right of this image. The regular campground is 1/2 mile to the left.

Picture of the creek ...

Picture of the rope swing ... (I've seen adults enjoy it as well)

These pictures were taken 8 Oct 2005.

Unfortunately, I've never been to Fish Springs. Their website says that it's 70 miles from Delta.

Either location would interest me ...
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:06 am

Nice pics Corwin. Looks like a cool place to camp. I mentioned Fish Springs cause it is more central to the people reading this and in Utah. Yup, it is a long way out to a dry dusty hot desert boondock camp. I went to the Fish Springs sight. Go to the "Directions" section and read at least the "Wilson Springs" part down at the bottom. I got a kick out of that. Something you seldom see in a Gov. site.

:lol: :lol:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:20 am

I got a kick out of the Wilson Springs and the learning curves comments too. I think that it's exactly what should be said to many, Many, MANY people out there ... if you're foolish or downright stupid, it's gonna cost ya. The government can't afford to bail you out.

I really like the last phrase, "the only thing you will see is a spring about 10 feet across in the middle of a stinking mud hole." It really makes one want to go out there doesn't it... :roll:
Corwin
Image Image Image
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 am

What day shall we meet at Wilson Springs?

:lol: :lol:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby sunny16 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Anyone camping next weekend, October 20-23? UEA weekend here in Utah. Thursday and Friday off!
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Sounds good, but I will probably still be in harvest then. And if not will be broke.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:48 am

sunny16 wrote:Anyone camping next weekend, October 20-23? UEA weekend here in Utah. Thursday and Friday off!

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to get Mom & Dad's new house closed up for winter. That construction stuff takes longer than I thought it would.

Wolffarmer wrote:What day shall we meet at Wilson Springs?

Go ahead and arrange for the snowcat and the pallets w/ skids (for the trailers), and we'll park 'em all right around the spring. :roll: ;)
Corwin
Image Image Image
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby suckerpunched » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:42 am

Hey Sunny,,,,I'm ready,,,,,not sure what's down south for camping but ready to go,,,,let me know,,,need one last camp trip before winter sets in....
:) TC
If you see my harley on a trailer,,,,call the police cause it's being stolen...
suckerpunched
Teardrop Master

Postby sunny16 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Suckerpunched,
I think you will enjoy this. You seem like the biker type. If you noticed I haven't responded for a week. Last Friday, the 14th, I was driving home from visiting my Mother and not ever two miles from her house, I looked like a guys was gong to pull into traffic from a parking lot. I was in the inside lane and saw his eyes and thought he wouldn't do it. He lurched forward not once, ut twice and so I locked up the front wheel and pulled in the clutch at the same time. I felt my front tire slide out from under me. Next thing I know I am rolling on the ground in such pain in my face and left leg. I hit the street with my nose and upper lip, and yes, no helmut. People came out of no where to assist until the ambulance and cops arrived. THe blood was from the upper lip, which later, required 20 stitches and I broke off a chunk of my tibia platform and now have a plate and 13 screws in it. The dr.s and nurses have been great! My face was road rash from the nose down but looks much better today. Now just a long, 3 months recovery of no pressure on the left leg. The bike faired better tham me. I brock the front left turn signal light an a passing light off. A few scratches here and tere but it was ridable home, which my son di that night. It could have been worse. I lost a good pair of denims and a nice belt when they cut it off but they spaired my leather jacket. I don't wish this on anyone and hope to never go thru it again. But I will ride again. I didn't get hit and no one hit me. Keep the wheel down and be safe out there.
So , no I didn't get to camp out last week or this wekend. I am getting waited on hand and foot though! :lol:
Sunny16
Bryan
Gimpy (what m wife now calls me)
sunny16
The 300 Club

Next

Return to South West