campgrounds

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

campgrounds

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:41 am

hubby and i are in the discussion/planning stages of a trip from the east coast to the west coast. making disneyland our west coast destination.

are there any campgrounds that you all know of in that area to stay a night or two?

i am just starting to look at maps and driving directions, so i am not sure about anything else at this time. would love to try and wing most of the trip, but i know we will need a place once we (if) we do this.

thanks for any and all advice and help.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby LWW » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:37 am

Sounds like a good trip. I'd like to follow this thread because I'm planning the same East to West trip to at least as far as the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam. Larryw
LWW
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:02 am

hey i'll be pasing you on the way!

it looks like this is the route we plan (so far, this is just the beginning, so things could change).

va, thru to tenn, stop for the night at a friends house.

short stop at hot springs ar,

drive thru ok into texas and find a place around amarillo.

thru to grand canyon. stop for the night with more than likely 2 nights. will need a rest for sure by this time.
thinking about a trip up to las vegas, or arches national park, i don't even know where that is yet, but still looking.

then on to death valley, not sure about staying a night there yet, then onto disneyland.
need to find a place here. at least one day and night.

then i am thinking of driving up california to the redwoods, drive thru a tree, and will start looking at the return trip across the top states thru south dakota, mt rushmore, badlands, and make a beeline back home.

hubby only has 2 weeks for this.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

That is a lot of pavement for two weeks

Postby mkitchen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:35 am

You look to cover a lot of miles for two weeks. You might consider cutting it back a bit to leave a bit more time to explore the areas that you will be going through. Just a thought.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby LWW » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Sounds like an ambitus trip. I'm hoping to take about 1 1/2 months to do it. I'm going to try to do it and see as much as I can. Plus I don't want to push my old jeep to hard.Larryw
LWW
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:18 pm

eaglesdare wrote:hubby only has 2 weeks for this.
I've done this trip twice, only West to East. Two weeks is not enough to relax and see anything. Four weeks is just right, although we've taken 6 and 7 weeks to do it the other direction. There is a lot to see between here and there. :thinking:

This was our route in 2007.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:42 pm

would love to take a 4 week trip, however hubby just can't take that long. i can see it taking on the chevy chase vacation: stop, look, go. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby notned » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:45 pm

"Two weeks is not enough to relax and see anything." --- This.

and this.

"You look to cover a lot of miles for two weeks. You might consider cutting it back a bit "

We all want to help you but you have to let us help.
notned
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:47 pm

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/campsites.htm
It is hard to find camping in the L.A. area. Not sure near Disneyland but I thought there was camping at Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm when I was much younger.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby notned » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Ten X campground near Grand Canyon is popular here. I checked it - I agree. There are also possibilities for free boondocking in Kaibab forest.
notned
Donating Member

Return to South West