Might be heading south

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Might be heading south

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:24 pm

I am think about heading southish in a week or two for a little trip before the farming starts.

Not sure of, if, when or where.

Nice to have plans. The plans I do have is to head south for lower elevations where it will probably be warmer. The high plateau of Utah ( well the colorado uplift ) is just a bit to cold yet. I am kind of thinking about first night getting to th BLM Red Cliffs camp ground north of Saint George. Then if weather is good heading to Toroweep Grand Canyon

Don't look Down

I was there in my pickup in 2002 and when I built my trailer I made it with that 61 mile road in mind. It is one fantastic area. But this time of year it can be cold and road conditions not great. Have to play it by ear. Other than that don't know where I might go. If I do go.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:15 pm

Sure looks purty!

Enjoy your trip
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:27 pm

About a year after I was there National Geographic put out a book "100 must see places" or something like that. The cover photo was taken about 50 feet from where I had my tent. From my tent I could have thrown a rock over the edge of the canyon and it is 3000 feet to the river. And no guard rails at all. I have heard they have closed those 2 camp sites.

And on the other side of the canyon there are several cinder cones that sprang up in rather recent history (geologic time ) and lavas and part of the cone ran down into the canyon. It is an amazing place. There is one place you can set and watch the boaters going over Lava Falls. Not a place for someone with extreme vertigo.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:26 pm

Wolffarmer wrote: I have heard they have closed those 2 camp sites.

That is correct, Randy. There is camping still available, but it is further back from the rim.

I would suggest a road condition inquiry by calling either the BLM ranger station in Cedar City or better yet the Tuweep Ranger Station (928-638-7875).

Great place, for sure, I've been there several times. Once taking the Lava Trail hike to the bottom, then back up.

StPatron
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 pm

I might get down the lava trail. maybe in mostly one piece. No way would I ever get back up.

I was lucky I went 2002 and got one of the 2 sites on the rim. It was just incredible. The main camp ground is not to bad looking. I probably will not go for at least 2 weeks. There is a bit more day light. I hate winter camping when I am alone cause the nights are just to dang long. And a chance of warmer weather. And more time to chicken out.

Oh and if I go I will take at least 2 spares. In 2002 I did have a flat on the way out. Luckily only 1 flat.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Good plan on the spares, not a lot of traffic on that road especially this time of year.

During one trip I drove in from Cedar City and then out towards Fredonia. I had welded a contraption that fit into my receiver hitch for hauling my 78 Yamaha 400 Enduro across the back of my truck. As compared with the west road, the east road is smoother making it easy to build up speed and move along. I didn't slow down enough when crossing one of the many washes, heard a loud noise. Next stop, welding shop in Fredonia. :lol:
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 pm

:lol: :lol:
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby jhb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:57 am

Randy, I'll be thinking of you while you are out camping in that terribly remote and foreboding landscape while I sit in my cozy office... and program software. YOU SUCK! :lol: And I have so much work I can't join you. :cry: Have a great time, my friend. :thumbsup:
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Randy,

Looks like another place to add to the list. Sounds like it's maybe only 6 hours from here.
Enjoy and post some picture when you get back.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:33 pm

It will be about 5 hours from your home to the beginning of "The Road" then another 3 hours after that. And I don't know if your trailer can make it. Probably can but you will be going very slow in places. And take extra car tires. The trailer you can leave and go get a tire fixed. It is not the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

:lol: :lol:
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Randy,
Thanks for the info. I guessed it was the north side of the canyon. I've taken the trailer for some pretty rough stuff in death valley. She was built to go places, not just sit in a trailer park. Now that we moved into the house here in Salt lake, can't wait to get all my stuff unpacked so we have time to go camping. Should be a little warmer be then also. :thumbsup:
This cold and snow takes some getting used to.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:01 am

I am still unpacking from my last move in 2005. And found some stuff I haven't seen since a move in 1990.

Heck, this has been a warm winter. Really it has been. I have never seen so little snow before. How you like Salt Lake area?

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:55 pm

So far so good. Folks at work are friendly. Weather has not been bad. Like you said, not much snow so far this year.
Unpacking sucks almost as much as having to pack up in the first place. Last weekend I spend 1/2 an hour looking for a stupid nail in the garage. Hope to get a little more organized this weekend.
The only thing that has been disappointing so far is the beer selection in the Sate liqueur store. Heck, most grocery stores in California had more choices in beer. Oh well......
But all in all I think it will be all right in the long run.
In a couple of month with a little luck it will be camping time in southern Utah. :applause: :thumbsup: :)
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Gage » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:01 am

Wolfgang92025 wrote:The only thing that has been disappointing so far is the beer selection in the Sate liqueur store. Heck, most grocery stores in California had more choices in beer. Oh well......

Boy I know how that is. Grandfather had a small farm in Santaquin that we used to go up and do yearly chores. The one thing we had to be sure to bring was two cases of Coors for him. It was 3.2 and all he could get up there was 2.8 beer. :beer: This was back in the 70's. Things may have changed a little sense then. ;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 am

They have changed a little but it can still be a bit of an adventure in Utah. In the past I only went to some beer bars in Utah. Pretty much like any others in Idaho even if the suds was watered down. I never did go to other types where you had to take your own and join a club. if I remember right. I remember way back in the early 70s up in Moscow Idaho my favorite bar i had to join the club to get in. Which was just signing your name on the list the first time you went in. Real stupid laws.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Next

Return to South West