Might be heading south

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby jhb » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Ah yes, good 'ole Brew 102... Not exactly Moose Drool. Went on a Jeep trip with friends just after high school, didn't know they had seven cases of stout malt liquor hidden in the back of one of the Jeeps. None of us were 21. I didn't like stout at the time and after some in the group got drunk on the top of one of those sandstone formations, couldn't get down, and spent the night up there freezing their ___ off, well, we had extra beer we were selling at a nice profit.
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Re: Might be heading south

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Well I got my trip done and I made it back alive.

First stop was a BLM campground just north of Saint George Utah. Red Cliffs. A very nice campground, specially this time of year. Just off the interstate but can barely hear it. Has water, paved road and pads, $8. Would be a good place except in summer time and the very coldest days of winter. Weather was good so I went east to Toroweep. Gravel road was fantastic this time. Last time it was washboards for much of the way. Then the fun really started about 5 miles from the campground. That part of the road is much worse since my last trip in 2002. A bunch of dirt that was covering rocks has blown/washed away and there is a lot more rock as some of it very bad. But I made it without touching frame on rock. Took it slow. Had to ram one ledge a few times to get up and over it. I met another camper there that has been there a few times before and he also thought it had gotten worse. He said he once meet a guy back in there with a regular camping trailer. That he pulled in with a stock Corvette. I don't know how true that story is but no vett is going to get in there now even without a trailer. My trailer did just fine. When I built it in 2007 I built it with that road in mind and this is the first time it has made the trip. Weather was great for this time of year. Spent a few nights and then I to Nevada and the Cathedral Gorge State Park on Highway 93 north of Panaca. Well about 100 miles north of Las Vegas. A real nice campgound also that included showers. And the shower was nice and large unlike all I have seen in KOAs. I got a whole lot of reading done and completed another "bucket list" I finally finished "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" I started it back in 1977. Then restarted it in 2010.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Red Cliffs Campground

Red Cliffs

Toroweep camp

Maybe I will change the name of my trailer from The Flying Hippo to Toroweep as it has now been to the camp that it was made for

Grand Canyon

Cathedral Gorge State Park Nevada

Echo Canyon State Park Nevada

This is close to Cathedral Gorge and the campground there looks very nice. Might be busy when fishing is in high gear.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby jhb » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:39 am

I'm jealous as all get out. :thumbsup:
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:20 am

Was good trip. Hit three great campgrounds, one of which few people will ever see. And with the road getting worse even fewer get there. Which is a plus in my book. Wish I could get some new books and head back to it for about a week.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Previous

Return to South West