Oakland camping

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Oakland camping

Postby emiller » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Anyone know a good place to camp near Oakland. I need to pick up my wife at the airport in August on my way to Towerfest.
8)
emiller
Donating Member

Re: Oakland camping

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Anthony Chabot Regional Park might be okay. It's about a 20 minute drive east of the airport, via 98th Ave. or Hegenberger Rd.

The 5,000 acre park is on a hilltop with mature eucalyptus trees and good views. Out of a possible 10, it has a scenic rating of 7. Lake Cabot is about half a mile away; but, there is a trail to the lake near walk-in campsite #20. Fishing is said to be good but no swimming or motor boating is allowed at the lake. Also, there is a golf course nearby. There are 75 sites; but 10 of those are walk-ins and only 12 sites have full hookups. Restrooms have flush toilets and showers. Reservations are accepted at 888-327-2757, x2 or through reserveamerica.com. I just read that parts of the park will not be available, such as some of the trails and group campsites. Check to see if it is open when you need it. You can look at that park and other East Bay parks here: http://www.ebparks.org/parks

Wherever you go, have fun! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:27 am

Cool, Anthony Chabot park is almost in my backyard. I didn't know they had sites with hookups.

Thanks,

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby 46Kit » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:50 pm

I go to a monthly Black Powder shoot at Chabot and the campground is just down the road from the marksmanship range so I've toured through a couple of times. Seems like a pretty nice set-up! The sites I liked the most did not have hookups and were just about as far from the entrance as you could get, on a bluff overlooking the lake. In August you may not be able to have a camp fire as they're pretty paranoid in the Oakland Hills since '91, but really depends upon conditions at the time of your camp.

Regards-HW
46Kit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DragonFire » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:35 am

I would seriously consider Chabot if I were you. Nice stand of coastal redwoods there, too. I haven't camped there, but I've hiked and gone birding there...really nice. I used to live in that area...a bit north, but still in the general area. If I can remember any other campsites there I'll let you know, but I think this one is a winner! :applause:
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Be aware that Anthony Chabot Park campground is open weekends only until further notice. I was hoping to drag my trailer up there for a quick mid-week pre-season shakedown cruise.

There seem to be lots of sites available on weekends, but it's still pretty early spring here. More rain on its way.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby emiller » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 pm

That is where I was planning on staying but have other options I am working on.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:Be aware that Anthony Chabot Park campground is open weekends only until further notice. I was hoping to drag my trailer up there for a quick mid-week pre-season shakedown cruise.

There seem to be lots of sites available on weekends, but it's still pretty early spring here. More rain on its way.

<Chas>

As stated before, check before you go. That goes for any public park or campground. It's sad; but, many of California's parks are electing to either be open only at certain times or only have specific sections available for use. They have done that to save money; and, hopefully, keep parks from being closed completely due to budget constraints. The parks and recreation staff are doing the best they can. When the new fiscal year starts at the end of June, around 78 state parks will either be closed or cut back even more drastically. For now, it's best to always check with park staff or actual reservation staff before planning a visit. Don't even depend on the Internet because there is a chance that all the changes to the parks' fiscal patterns may not have been applied yet. Communities near various parks (especially historical) are trying to raise enough money to take over parks in their areas so that those can avoid closure.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to South West