Fruit stand

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Fruit stand

Postby emiller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Where is there a good fruit stand along hwy 1 or 101 between Santa Barbara and Pismo Beech.
emiller
Donating Member

Re: Fruit stand

Postby Esteban » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:50 pm

I know its late. Maybe next time you or someone else can use the tips when in the area or driving through. We have many local farmers' markets too. Here's a sampling of what is available.

Local Harvest will help you find farmers' markets, fruit stands, and farmers all across the country.
The best organic food is what's grown closest to you. Use our website to find farmers' markets, family farms, and other sources of sustainably grown food in your area, where you can buy produce, grass-fed meats, and many other goodies.

California Certified Farmers' Markets Search for local (by city, county, or region) California certified farmers' markets, with links to many regional farmers' market websites. This website seems to have the most complete listing of California farmers' markets. It shows farmers' markets by day of the week too.

Organized traveling north from Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo:
link to Ventura County farmers' markets Ventura County area farmers' markets
Ventura County Certified Farmers' Markets Ventura County Certified Farmers' Markets
Santa Barbara area farmers' markets Solvang, Goleta, Santa Barbara, Montecito and Carpinteria
San Luis Obispo County Farmers' Markets San Luis Obispo County Farmers' Markets

Classic Organic Farm & Market 2323 Old Coast Hwy Gaviota, CA 93117 Classic Organic Farm and Market
Nature's true tastes and fresh-picked nutrition are available daily at the Classic Organic Farm & Market, owned and operated by Helmut Klauer, a classic organic farmer. A variety of lettuces, tomatoes, carrots, watermelons, strawberries, cucumbers, winter and summer squash, peppers, fennel, spinach, asparagus, onions, garlic and pumpkins are just a sampling of the many crops grown in season. Homestead Orchard fruit, kitchen herbs and organically produced eggs are also available.

Classic Organic Farm and Market is located 40 miles north of Santa Barbara & 4 miles south of Buellton, just off of Hwy 101. Traveling either North or South on Hwy. 101, watch for the small brown freeway sign that reads: "Nojoqui Park." The turnoff puts you on Old Coast Highway, an historic country road that runs through the farm. Classic Organic Farm and Market is just 400 yards down Old Coast Highway, after the turnoff from Hwy 101. There, hard-by an old barn embellished with a classic Peace Sign, Classic Organic produce is sold direct on the Honor System.

Hayashi Vegetable Stand, 2876 Cienaga St. Oceano, CA 93445 http://www.yelp.com/biz/hayashi-vegetable-stand-oceano
have been going to the Hayashi Vegetable stand since before YELP, since before the internet too! The strawberries that come from their fields are simply fabulous. The Douglas strawberries are huge (especially when you get the first crop, and mage the best strawberry short cake ever (of course with homemade short cake and real whipped cream! ) All the other vegetables are straight from the field and it is a must stop! I was through the other day and noticed no one had done a YELP! Whats up out there? Restaurants are nice, but a good home cooked meal with the freshest of vegetables and the strawberry short cake dessert, Well You just gotta be there! It is the best.
On Hwy. 1 west of Hwy. 101. They sell delicious fruits (yummy strawberries) and vegetables at local farmers' markets too

Okui's Strawberry & Fruit Stand, 1234 Highland Way, Grover Beach, CA 93433 http://www.yelp.com/biz/okuis-strawberry-n-fruit-stand-grover-beach
Welcome to my new favorite strawberry stand. This place is the current best of south county. The berries are so juicy and flavorful. The other veges are equally good and I will be returning to this place every time I hit the south county. It is a bit harder to find, as it is not on a main drag, but oh so worth it!
Close to Hwy. 1. The farm stand is on the edge of their strawberry field so in season they're very fresh.

Rutiz Family Farms, 1075 The Pike, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420 Rutiz Family Farm
Our 30 years of farming experience enables us to offer the local community fresh produce using sustainable farming practices. The retail market stand, located adjacent to the farm’s thirty acres of beautiful land just outside of Arroyo Grande, allows for direct sales of our farm products, harvested at their peak of ripeness and flavor.

Avila Valley Barn is just north of Pismo Beach. Avila Valley Barn
Among locals a smile forms on the face when Avila Valley Barn is mentioned. A favorite spot to stop off and buy the freshest fruit and vegetables grown locally, pick up a pie or bakery treat, stop off for lunch from our deli or get an ice cream on the way to Avila Beach.
560 Avila Beach Drive • San Luis Obispo CA 93405 • 805.595.2810 or 805.595.2816
A touristy place just off Hwy. 101 on the way to Avila Beach. Their selection of in-season fruits and vegetables is probably the largest of local fruit stands. Delicious bakery goods. Can get crowded during holidays and weekends.

Gopher Glen Apple Farm, 2899 See Canyon Road, San Luis Obispo, CA Gopher Glen Apple Farm
Come visit our roadside stand and taste our apples and "home-made" apple cider that's fresh pressed regularly at Gopher Glen.
The apple season usually begins the last week of July and runs through mid December. Our roadside stand offers a wide choice of apple varieties, sizes and prices. The dates of ripening listed below are only approximate since timing varies somewhat each year, depending on "mother nature."
Summer Hours- 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Daily
Fall/Winter Hours- 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Daily

Traveling from the south (about 2 miles from Pismo Beach) begin looking for the San Luis Bay Drive exit and go west.
Go about 1 mile and turn right on See Canyon Road (across from Belleview School). Gopher Glen is approximately 2 1/2 miles up this tree covered canyon road. Follow the signs. The stand is located on See Canyon Road, just a few yards past the Cider Lane sign.
On the way to Gopher Glen you will observe small apple orchards and over 100 year old apple trees. You will also enjoy many oak, sycamore and maple trees. The drive through See Canyon is truly a remarkable experience.
We look forward to your visit!
They're up a beautiful country road in the Avila Beach area, between Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo. In season their apples are farm fresh, often picked that day, with many varieties to choose from. Apple prices here and at nearby orchards on See Canyon Road are lower than at the nearby Avila Valley Barn. See Canyon Fruit Ranch and Creekside Farm Apples http://www.santabarbaraview.com/day-trips-from-santa-barbara-creekside-farm-apples-in-see-canyon/ are also very good. photos of apple farms in See Canyon

San Luis Obispo Thursday evening farmers' market http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-luis-obispo-farmers-market-san-luis-obispo-2
If you are anywhere near SLO on a Thursday evening this farmers market is a great spot to walk around, taste some great local food and enjoy the best of what SLO has to offer. I FINALLY made it up here on a Thursday night after 15 years of a Thursday never coinciding with my visit to SLO! This market runs rain or shine throughout the year and is from 6-9 pm.

I was absolutely shocked at how many people visit this farmers market which spans several blocks on Higuera Street in downtown SLO. This part of Higuera Street is closed down to traffic and people really do fill up the streets. At one point I moved to the sidewalk because it was so crowded.

All of the best BBQ spots in the area smoke away and try to lure in guests with their most recent BBQ accolades and their delicious looking food. After multiple recommendations from locals, I stopped at Mclintocks booth for dinner. The line was long but moved fast. Everyone I talked to said the beef ribs are where its at and they were correct. The rib was seasoned perfectly, and it was delicious. Their special beans were also great although a bit salty but addicting. I think I paid $5 total for the rib and the beans and it was filling, delicious and a value.

I loved seeing people just finding a spot wherever they could to chow down on some great food. Curbsides were popular as well as a special area on a side street that was set up with round tables and chairs.

slocountyfarmers Almost every town or city in San Luis Obispo County has a farmers' market. Several cities have multiple farmers markets each week. In season there is one or more every day of the week! Avila Beach has an ocean front fishermans' and farmers' market Friday evenings in the spring through the early fall.

Printable schedule (2 page pdf) of SLO county farmer's markets with their days, locations, and times. San Luis Obispo County Certified Farmers' Markets Schedule
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Return to South West