Registering a Craigslist trailer in Arizona

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Registering a Craigslist trailer in Arizona

Postby shootr » Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm trying to find some definitive information on registering a trailer (teardrop-to-be) in Arizona, and I've searched the site as well as the DMV site without any real solid answers, so here goes:

Scenario 1: I find a used trailer on craigslist (boat trailer, utility, etc) and turn it into a regular flatbed style trailer. Can I go to DMV and get a permanent plate, then turn it into a teardrop and still be good to go, or will DPS or other entity deem it unlawful? Is a receipt from the seller good enough to apply or am I opening a can of worms if the seller doesn't have paperwork (assuming it's not a homebuilt)?

Scenario 2: Just build the teardrop then apply for a registration and pay licensing fee's at regular intervals like other camp trailers?

Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :NC
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Re: Registering a Craigslist trailer in Arizona

Postby milliejohn » Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 am

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/F ... tion%20fee

52) How are trailers registered?
Trailers registrations are determined by whether or not the trailer will be used for commercial purposes, and on the weight of the trailer (both as certified by the owner). A trailer may be eligible for a regular registration (one, two or five year) or a permanent registration.

Proof of ownership is not required for a homemade trailer less than $1,000 in value that is being titled for the first time. A registration from another state may be accepted as proof of ownership if that state does not title trailers.

A physical inspection is required for homemade trailers.

Permanent registration will be issued for the following:

Noncommercial trailers with a declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 10,000 lbs or less (initial one-time $125 registration fee, reduced to $75 if converting a current commercial trailer registration to noncommercial)
Trailers with a declared GVW of more than 10,001 lbs (one-time $800 registration fee). If previously registered in another state and the model year of the trailer is less than six years old (fee is reduced to $500), if at least six years old (fee is reduced to $195).
Permanent registration is a one-time fee and a PERM license plate tab is issued. There is no annual billing for vehicle license tax or registration fees. If the trailer has a special plate, only the fee for the plate will be billed annually.

The following are not eligible for permanent registration:

Travel trailer or camper/tent trailer
Commercial trailer with declared GVW of 10,000 pounds or less
Historic trailer that is designed for commercial use, but is not used for commercial purposes
See #4 and #5 above for more information on titling and registering.
Image ~I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left~
milliejohn
Teardrop Master

Postby ssrjim » Tue May 28, 2013 9:16 am

In Arizona it all depends on the inspector. If they are smart they know what it is and give you a renewing plate. Sometimes they think it is a cargo trailer and give you a permeant plate. Even the renewing every year is cheap, it is based on value. Show less receipts to keep costs down but do take the essential receipts to show you built it. It is like 10, 20 bucks a year.

The building a flat trailer works too.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby billinb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 am

I know this is an older thread but I just recently ran into this scenario. I decided to go to the DMV and ask. I am an artist and will be using this to carry my work and tent set up to and from art festivals but will also be using it for camping. He said if I could get away with telling a cop it is used to haul camping gear then it would be fine to register as utility but if I made it all fancy with electricity, galley and looked more like a camper rather than transporting stuff, then I would need to register it as a camper.
billinb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:46 am

billinb wrote:I know this is an older thread but I just recently ran into this scenario. I decided to go to the DMV and ask. I am an artist and will be using this to carry my work and tent set up to and from art festivals but will also be using it for camping. He said if I could get away with telling a cop it is used to haul camping gear then it would be fine to register as utility but if I made it all fancy with electricity, galley and looked more like a camper rather than transporting stuff, then I would need to register it as a camper.

That's sorta what I thought may happen sometime to me. I registered my homebuilt, years ago (bought in completely different form, at a swap-meet for $50) as a "utility trailer", which is what it was at the time. I re-registered it again, with modifications to the trailer (with the original-unreadable-vin plate removed, since only parts were retained), and said that it would be a cargo/camper dual-purpose trailer (hauls gear, not people), and the clerk was OK with that. But I see that, in Texas at least, I may eventually be pulled over since the trailer is now outwardly a camper, not a utility. My response to that will be to open it up, show all the built in tie-downs and e-tracks installed and being used for hauling cargo (camping gear, mattress, pillows, etc are really cargo!), and show that the capacity matches the weight rating for the utility licensing. The majority of police should be OK with that, since you oughta see what else is trailered (with and without plates, probably unregistered) on Texas roads.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CCOWAN » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:29 am

I've been doing research on the same issue so that I go into my build on the right foot. It wasn't easy to find, but Arizona defines a travel trailer as:

ARS 28-2003
B. For the purposes of this section, "travel trailer" means a trailer that is:
1. Mounted on wheels.
2. Designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use.
3. Less than eight feet in width and less than forty feet in length.

and as such, a "travel trailer" cannot be issued permanent plates. They can, however, go through the inspection process and be registered under regular registration for 1, 2, or 5 years. Unfortunately, there are no requirements (such as toilet, plumbing, etc.) that a teardrop could fall exempt from to gain permanent registration. If pulled over, it really would boil down to trying to convince the cop that it's not a trailer meeting the above definition. Risky game- AZ DPS practically NEVER gives warnings. I'm just going to title mine as a regular travel trailer.
CCOWAN
Teardrop Inspector

Return to South West