Road Racing - Buttonwillow, Ca

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Re: Road Racing - Buttonwillow, Ca

Postby SmokeyBear12 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:17 pm

]Here's a couple of photos I took at the SCCA MAJORS. It was a very impressive sunset on Saturday night. Unfortunately my cheapo cell phone didn't do it justice - not that I could do any better myself. In one you'll see Midget highlighted by the sunset.

140426_0002.jpg
Sunset at Buttonwillow
140426_0002.jpg (92.96 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
Attachments
140426_0003.jpg
Sunset and Midget
140426_0003.jpg (152.07 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
SmokeyBear12
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Midget » Fri May 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Ron,

They still turned out good. Buttonwillow has some really good sunsets. The racing was top notch too!

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby SmokeyBear12 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Bob,

I may have said this before but I'm saying it again to keep it fresh. In October 6-12 the SCCA Runoffs / National Championships will be held at Laguna Seca. It's the first time in 40 years it's been on the West Coast. Always top notch racing. If you are thinking of going and staying at Laguna Seca County Park, you need to make the reservation now. Otherwise the volunteers will take all the spots. Remember, there's places with full RV hook-ups, partial hook-ups, and plain tent/dry camping.

I'm not back to Buttonwillow until possibly 10/25-26.

Ron
SmokeyBear12
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Road Racing - Buttonwillow, Ca - Update July 18

Postby Midget » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:29 pm

While we're still stifled with the summer heat hear in the central valley I thought I would get the word out about the races coming up this fall. September 6-7 is the Vintage Auto Racing Association's Octoberfest which features German cars. Entry to the raceway is only $20 for the whole weekend. Then on October 25-26 we'll be heading back for the SCCA races. These weekends are free! If you're interested in joining us, let me know and I'll send you directions on where we camp.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:58 am

I was looking at the race track's schedule and found another SCCA race scheduled for September. The weekend of the 13 & 14. This is the weekend following the vintage races. We may do another back to back trip again if we get people interested. Let me know if you plan to attend any of these weekends.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:00 am

Next weekend (Sept 6-7) is the VARA Octoberfest event. We'll be rolling in Friday afternoon to set up camp on Sunset Corner. It may be a little warm as temps in the area have been hovering in the mid 90's all this week. It's $10 per person to get through the gate and full access to the paddock area all weekend. Hot showers and flush toilets too! I'm bringing my 5hp mini bike and a friend is bringing his Honda Trail 70 to ride around.

Let me know if your interested in attending.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Wow, What a hot weekend! I'm talking about the temperature in this case. We showed up at the track on Friday afternoon and it hit 98 degrees by 4pm. We camped in the shade of the Eucalyptus trees and had plenty of water but it was still a warm and toasty one. I felt sorry for the drivers as they wear full fire suits and ride around in cars with no insulation. The trailer was stuffy at night and it's a good thing I made up our screen door during the summer as we slept with the door open to get more air movement.

The racing was good as more cars are showing up now as in previous years. The economy hit the amateur racing world and a lot of people stopped racing. This was the Oktoberfest weekend for German cars. There was an all Formula V race on Saturday and a German car race on Sunday. Lot's of BMW 2002's with a few Porches sprinkled in. We had friends up from Southern California camp with us and we had really good food along with micro beers and wine in the evening. No other TNTTT's though. We'll get some of you out to join us some time.

This coming weekend is a SCCA race but due to the temperature we're going to skip it. Oh yeah - Our wine grapes need to be harvested so our weekend will be filled with harvesting and getting ready to make wine.

Next race weekend will be October 25-26 for a SCCA event. Temps will be a lot cooler so if you have a chance come on out. It's free!

Bob and Lynn
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:28 pm

It looks like we're done camping for the year. Have to find a new job so we're not spending any money unless absolutely necessary.

Hopefully we'll have another thread started for the 2015 racing season.
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Jerry Bleeg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 am

Bob and Lyn, are there any races coming up this spring at bottom willow? I have never done it, but am up for a teardrop meet-up when things dry up some. It would be fun to see some sports cars, vintage racers, and teardrops this spring. I have a buddy that worked at a recent driver training down there last week. I think it was put on by VARA. Sounded like a fun experience.

Missed you guys at the Treasure Island meet and greet this year. It was a great gathering and I hear that last year to be held on the SF side of the island. I hear next year, the organizers will be moving the flea market to the Oakland side of the island, as they are going to start developing the SF side. We shall see.

Jerry in San Jose
Jerry Bleeg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SmokeyBear12 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:41 am

Hi Jerry,

I will fill in for Midget because he is a friend of mine and I know he is somewhat busy. He recently changed jobs and has moved to Lodi.

Here is the link to Buttowiillow Raceway Park's schedule for 2017:

http://buttonwillowraceway.com/calendar-of-events/

I am planning on being there on these dates

4/28-30 SCCA Majors (Super Tour) Buttonwillow
5/20-21 SCCA Divisional/ Buttonwillow
Cal Club Championship/TT

9/2-3 SCCA Divisional/ Buttonwillow
Cal Club Championship/TT

Usually I am there more often, but I have conflicts with races at other Northern California tracks like Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway, and Thunderhill Raceway Park. I can not speak for Midget but I can tell you this. Since his last post on this thread he has joined me as a Volunteer Corner Worker for San Francisco Region, Sports Car Club of America. We do most of our racing at those tracks. You can see their schedules at

http://www.mazdaraceway.com

http://www.thunderhill.com

http://www.sonomaraceway.com

Anything you see on the schedule that is SCCA there is no admission charge, you can watch for free. As for camping, that is determined by the track. Check the individual web site. If you are really into racing, consider becoming a volunteer for SCCA. Admission, and camping, is always free. Let me know if you have any questions.

Somewhere I have this really neat photo of three teardrops parked side by side in worker camping at Laguna Seca. Midget, another worker, and me.
SmokeyBear12
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Midget » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Hey Jerry,

Ron is correct. We had a very busy end of year. New job which resulted in a relocation to the Lodi area. We are just now settling in and looking forward to getting out for some camping. Lynn and I have been thinking about the Dam Gathering at the end of May. We have never been as it was a long drive and the vintage racing weekend was usually the same weekend. Now that we're 3 hours further north, it is probably doable.

I have been volunteering with the SCCA flagging at races and will be hitting Thunderhill in Northern California and Mazda Raceway in Monterrey. Here's the picture Ron mentioned.

It's too bad the Terminal Island meet will move to the other side. The view of the city was amazing.

Hope to see you this year.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to South West