Crawling South On Calif. Hwy. One After IRG 5.0

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Crawling South On Calif. Hwy. One After IRG 5.0

Postby Esteban » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 pm

This is just a wild idea, at this time. I'm thinking of traveling south on Highway One along the California coast after IRG 5.0. My initial idea is to take 4 days (maybe more, maybe less) to travel from Pamplin Grove in Humboldt County to San Luis Obispo. Wondering if anyone else is going to do a similar trip south? If so, we might travel together.

My initial idea is to camp Monday night in Fort Bragg or Mendocino. Old friends of mine live near Mendocino a little inland from Van Damme State Park. They offered me a place to camp. Their camping offer may be extended for a small group.

Tuesday I/we might camp in Ocean Cove oceancove.org/campground a favorite camp spot for the Northern California and Jefferson State Tearjerkers.

Wednesday I/we might camp near the S.F. Bay Area. Location is very open. Initial ideas are to camp at Bodega Bay, or in Point Reyes or in/near Bolinas.

Thursday I/we might camp in Half Moon Bay or Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Or somewhere else that I/we decide.

Friday I/we can camp in Big Sur. bigsurcalifornia.org/camping Or in King City if we take 101 south instead. San Lorenzo campground in King City

Saturday I/we could camp in San Luis Obispo County. slostateparks.com/camping Ideas are San Simeon, Morro Bay, or Montana de Oro (the site of our first SLO Gathering) just south of Morro Bay. San Luis Obispo is my home town. If you look at the SLO Gathering pictures, I'm the tall guy wearing a wide brimTilley hat in the morning waffles picture.

Right now this is a wild idea that may become a reality if there is enough shared interest in doing it. People with teardrops, not attending IRG, might join us along the way for one night, or more. Or know of a special place along the way to stay or to visit to add to the fun.

If there are people heading further south you might camp at Jalama Beach south of Lompoc, Cachuma Lake, or one of the state park campgrounds on the Gaviota Coast north of Santa Barbara. californiasbestbeaches.com/gaviota_camping

Is anyone interested in traveling together Crawling South On California Hwy. One After IRG 5.0? :thinking:

One initial Crawl idea on Google Maps: Hwy. One Crawl
Last edited by Esteban on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Crawling South On Calif. Hwy. One After IRG 5.0

Postby Vedette » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Love the idea of "Crawls"
I am thinking about the same thing to the North after the IRG 5.0.
Applegate is the weekend after the IRG and would make a wonderful first leg of "Our" trip home to host a Canadian Gathering on July 24-27.
Or of a circle from IRG.....to Applegate Gathering......back around to Jefferson State King Canyon Gathering July 24-27.
All food for thought.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBear12 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm

What is the Jefferson State King Canyon Gathering? Please, tell me more.
SmokeyBear12
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Esteban » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 pm

:vroom:
Vedette wrote:Love the idea of "Crawls"
I am thinking about the same thing to the North after the IRG 5.0.
Applegate is the weekend after the IRG and would make a wonderful first leg of "Our" trip home to host a Canadian Gathering on July 24-27.
Or of a circle from IRG.....to Applegate Gathering......back around to Jefferson State King Canyon Gathering July 24-27.
All food for thought.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

After crawling south from IRG, I might rest up, recuperate, and restock at home in SLO, then head out again to meet up with the Jefferson State Tearjerkers at their Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP gathering.
July 24-27, 2014 near Visalia, CALIFORNIA
Jefferson State TearJerkers go to Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP ... more details coming soon, info from [email protected]

The quote is from Grant's Destinations Destinations

Google map: SLO to Kings Canyon/Three Rivers is an easy half days drive. The travel time & distance will depend on the where the rondezvous point is. Waving Hi Kay!
:thinking: :) :vroom:
Last edited by Esteban on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31 am

SmokeyBear12 wrote:What is the Jefferson State King Canyon Gathering? Please, tell me more.

Go to the top of this page, click on TD Friendly Websites. Dropdown box will appear with "Destinations" in it.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:40 am

Big Basin State Park is highly recommended as is Doran Regional Park at Bodega Bay. Both from personal experience.

Best to have reservations at that time of year.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:58 am

I am trying to consider places to stay that are a comfortable driving distance apart, beautiful, readily available, and not too costly.

My friend, Andy, in Mendocino fishes commercially. He might be open to supplying freshly caught seafood for a small gathering at their homestead. Need to work out the ideas/details. This is very, very preliminary.

Ideas are welcomed and highly encouraged! :thumbsup:

I might add an overnight stop in the Avenue of the Giants. There is a campground near the visitors center I camped at in 2008 that has showers, which may be very welcome after IRG. Wish I knew its name/location. I may be thinking of the Burlington campground.
Humboldt Redwoods State Park Camping Information

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:24 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:Big Basin State Park is highly recommended as is Doran Regional Park at Bodega Bay. Both from personal experience.

Best to have reservations at that time of year.

<Chas>

Yelp has reviews and photos of both parks:
yelp.com/doran-beach-bodega-bay
yelp.com/big-basin-redwoods-state-park-boulder-creek
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBear12 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks esteban and Vedette. Now I know what & where, just not when - yet. Since this is in my back yard, I should be there schedule permitting. The more I see of Esteban's plans, the more I wish I could be joining him.
SmokeyBear12
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Esteban » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:14 pm

SmokeyBear12 wrote:Thanks esteban and Vedette. Now I know what & where, just not when - yet. Since this is in my back yard, I should be there schedule permitting. The more I see of Esteban's plans, the more I wish I could be joining him.

Smokey,
Here is the entire quote copied from Grant Whipp's Destinations page:
July 24-27, 2014 near Visalia, CALIFORNIA
Jefferson State TearJerkers go to Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP ... more details coming soon, info from [email protected]
Grant and Kay are a couple. I think Kay is a TearJerker's director for the Jefferson State chapter. I bolded the date information. Looks like Kay will have more information available "soon." :thinking:

:thinking: There may be more information on the Tearjerker's website, I haven't looked yet. (Not sure I remember my TearJerkers password)
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBear12 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks Esteban. I read all of it except the date... Duh!
SmokeyBear12
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Midget » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Just got off the phone with the guy doing the Seven Sisters Festival and they haven't figured out how their going to do the camping/festival ticket set up yet. They are taking names for a waiting list to get a camp site so our name is on the list. Also, no dogs allowed into the festival :( so we'll have to set up arrangements for her for the weekend.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Return to South West