Death Valley

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Death Valley

Postby Q » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:59 pm

A couple of us Teardroppers will be camping at Death Valley from March 26th thru April 1st. We'll spend most of our time at Stove Pipe Wells with a couple days at Texas Springs. We'll be bringing our motorized bicycles, hiking shoes, and cameras for photographing sunrise on the dunes.

Join us if you can.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby tupelosue » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:35 pm

i had just started thinking about a trip to the desert in the spring to see the wildflowers blooming. i was going to ask some friends for advice on the when and where's for the best views.

is your trip planned for wildflower time???

sue 8)
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby Q » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:30 am

Sue,

Our trip is planned for my daughter's spring break from school. I've been in Death Valley several times during that time of year and it's often good timing for wild flowers. All depends on if they have a wet winter.

BTW, the Vespa in your avitar looks like a 1953 model. Do you have a Vespa?

tupelosue wrote:i had just started thinking about a trip to the desert in the spring to see the wildflowers blooming. i was going to ask some friends for advice on the when and where's for the best views.

is your trip planned for wildflower time???

sue 8)
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby tupelosue » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:09 pm

[quote="Q"].

You must know vespas!! the one in my avatar is probably and possibly whatever you say it is. I don't know. I do have a vespa, but a new one, 2003 i think.

i'm interested in your motorized bikes. i have an old cruiser that would be fun to motorize (especially for burningman) and i think my son could use one--living in lake tahoe, no driv. license...

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby Q » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:11 pm

Nice picture Sue!

I go way back with Vespa, since I was able to stand up on the floor board in front of my dad in about 1955. Both my dad and my uncle were Vespa dealers in Portland Oregon and the Bay Area. I worked at their shops as well as Vespa of San Francisco in the 70. Over the years I've put over 300,000 miles on Vespa scooters. Needless to say I'm fond of Vespas.

If you get down to Death Valley next spring you're quite welcome to take the motorbikes for a ride. They're fun but quite crude compared to your scooter.

BTW, Here are a couple pics of my scoot during my 78 trip up the Alcan to Alaska.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/QDM/alaska1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/QDM/alaska2.jpg

Q

tupelosue wrote:
Q wrote:.

You must know vespas!! the one in my avatar is probably and possibly whatever you say it is. I don't know. I do have a vespa, but a new one, 2003 i think.

i'm interested in your motorized bikes. i have an old cruiser that would be fun to motorize (especially for burningman) and i think my son could use one--living in lake tahoe, no driv. license...
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:45 pm

Sue....that's a great pic of you and the scooter!!!!...just to let you know that your post didn't go unnoticed....you need to bring the tear over here some weekend with some dimensions on the scooter and I'll weld up a bracket, roll down ramp for you....that way...next gathering, I can go for a ride on the scooter!!!!....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:49 pm

doug hodder wrote:Sue....that's a great pic of you and the scooter!!!!...just to let you know that your post didn't go unnoticed....Doug

yeah, ya just gotta luv them biker babes, doancha :o :lol: ;) you go Sue
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tupelosue » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:05 am

doug hodder wrote:Sue....that's a great pic of you and the scooter!!!!...just to let you know that your post didn't go unnoticed....you need to bring the tear over here some weekend with some dimensions on the scooter and I'll weld up a bracket, roll down ramp for you....that way...next gathering, I can go for a ride on the scooter!!!!....Doug

YOU'RE ON!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:10 am

I just can't remember what you have for tongue length on your tear...and I don't know what the weight is on the scooter....if you have a manual on it, it is probably given....however...we'll have to do some tests....and measuring to make sure it can be done....I've done this before, hung a Honda Elsinore 250 on the back of a Maverick....easy on and off load...We'll put in a hitchpin and a hinge...cuz yer a girrrrl!!! just need to deal with the suspension issue on the Subaru....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby tupelosue » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:20 am

if i could borrow a pick-up i could bring scooter and the tear.

that would be my fantasy trip, with the kayak loaded on top as well. then i might not ever go home.

when it's time to change vehicles a pick-up might be my next move.

i'll wander up there sometime with both maybe. :D

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:45 am

Alcan on a Vespa! I thought my uncle was nuts riding his Honda Helix from Tampa to Key West then to NYC and back. That Helix is rocketship compared to a Vespa.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby tupelosue » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Hey Q!!

I'm considering trying to come down to death valley the last week of march. haven't been able to get my hands on vacation calendar at work, so can't confirm yet. might try to drive down on the wednesday, head north on the saturday i think. or else head over to the coast for a day or 2.

i'll let you know when i confirm the time off at work.
are you staying anywhere that res's are needed??

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby Q » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Hi Sue,

Not staying anywhere that requires reservations. Will probably spend most of the time at Stovepipe Wells, but if the weather is warm we may spend a couple days at Mesquite Springs, and may move down to Texas Springs campground near Furnace Creek.

Let me know when you have firm dates and we'll arrange to meet up. You can email me directly at [email protected].

Q

tupelosue wrote:Hey Q!!

I'm considering trying to come down to death valley the last week of march. haven't been able to get my hands on vacation calendar at work, so can't confirm yet. might try to drive down on the wednesday, head north on the saturday i think. or else head over to the coast for a day or 2.

i'll let you know when i confirm the time off at work.
are you staying anywhere that res's are needed??
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby billnut » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:20 pm

:D Gosh i've never been to Death Valley let alone
camp there. Hmmm kill two birds with one stone1
How about it Sis :thumbsup:
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby tupelosue » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:40 am

hey bill, it'd be good to see you and sis again. bring your cool stove!!

i'm hoping there'll be a good show of wildflowers, but not sure if there's been a lot of rain. last year was supposed to be pretty good! :pictures:

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Next

Return to South West