Camp Skillman in Tahoe Nat. Forest

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Camp Skillman in Tahoe Nat. Forest

Postby Woodpecker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:25 pm

I just sent off the signed contract for next season and I'll be heading up in early April to run Camp Skillman again.

It's actually a horse camp but we get lots of people without horses. It's a California Land management Campground in the TNF.
The outside spaces have stalls, the inside ones don't. Have a horse take an outside space. No horse, take a space with no stall.
If anyone makes it over that way stop in and there will be an open site and a friendly face waiting.
The only time I can't promise a site is on the special event weekends when we close to the public.
It's a nice small campground on HWY 20 about 15 miles West of Grass Valley, lots of trails and close by mountain lakes and sights.
It's hard to find on maps, has no address. White Cloud is the closest campground and has a Ranger station. It's 5 - 6 miles West on 20 from Skillman.
I can even close the place up for $300 a night. 16 big sites but room for over 50 teardrops easy. We love groups.
You should see the place when Wild West days packs in 90 horse trailers!

I go "off grid" there. No power or internet reception. That's the worst part. Reception is a mile.5 up the road at a lookout.
We do have awesome water and nice bathrooms. I keep them clean! lol
I will check in when I can and post the closed weekends.
I play in a band with a few other campers and locals there so don't be surprised if you hear a sax wailing through the woods or Mustang Sally being belted out badly!
We did have a pretty good sized party there the September 19th weekend last year and will be doing that again, live band and all.

:beer:
Woodpecker
Teardrop Master

Re: Camp Skillman in Tahoe Nat. Forest

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 pm

Here is Moon's California Camping book review, by Tom Stienstra (16th edition):

SKILLMAN FAMILY, EQUESTRIAN, AND GROUP CAMP in Tahoe National Forest

Hiking, biking, leashed pets, RV campers and tent campers.....Scenic rating 5 (out of a possible 10)

Skillman Group Camp is set at 4,400 feet, on a loop access road just off Highway 20, and historic Pioneer Trail runs right through it. (Historic Pioneer Trail is one of the top mountain-bike routes in the Sierra Nevada.)

There are 16 sites for tents or RV's up to 25 feet (no hookups). The campground can also be used as a group camp for tents or RV's up to 25 feet and can accommodate up to 75 people. Picnic tables and fire grills are provided. Vault toilets and drinking water are available. Horse corrals, tie rails, troughs, and stock water are available. ...Reservations are accepted at 877/444/6777 or http://www.recreation.gov ...Open May through October, weather permitting.

Directions: From Sacramento, drive east on I-80 past Emigrant Gap to Highway 20. Turn west on Highway 20 and drive 12 miles to the campground entrance on the left.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby desertmoose » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:22 am

I remember camping there when I was a kid. We'd have huge family campouts with Grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Probably 30-40 fam-damily. That was a (few) years ago... (mid 60's). Pretty undeveloped then. Just a clearing in the trees. I don't remember anything to do with horse accomodations, but there were a lot of bats after dark which was fun to watch.
If I remember right, it was called Skillman Flats then?

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby Woodpecker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:00 am

Ayep! It was Skillman Flats before. It was a lumberyard at one time then a fire burned it down and the Feds turned it into a campground.

Still not much more than clearings with tables and fire pits but I keep them nice. 2 Bathrooms, no showers.
Very primitive, the water comes from a well a mile uphill and is a closed system.' No electricity.
The Horse corrals were added a few years ago and just to the outside spots. It's down in a Gully so no reception in the campground itself.
We do seem to get a lot of groups and family reunions. A lot of the spots are "connected" so groups can be together.

The beginning of the season is beautiful there. Lots of Dogwoods and Flowers everywhere!
Woodpecker
Teardrop Master

Return to South West