Tuweep - trip report 10/19/14

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby citylights » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Going on a weekend trip to Tuweep, north rim Grand Canyon in two weeks. Can anybody recommend trails or sights to see in that area?

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm
Last edited by citylights on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citylights
500 Club

Re: Tuweep

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:28 am

Dang! I've never been there but clicking on the link makes me want to. Sorry I can't help. Make sure you post some pics.

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Loren » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Unless the road has changed in the past couple of years, it will beat you to pieces and the last mile or so- past the ranger station- is a 4-wheel drive road. Watch the corners. Some clever person repaired washboarded corners with red clay so it can be really slick if damp. The site itself is beautiful, with a hidden cliffside spring and a pair of million-dollar composting toilets. At night the stars are amazing but carry a flashlight when moving about- rattlesnakes abound. I have been there several times thru the years and will go back again some day.
Loren
Loren
Teardrop Advisor

Postby citylights » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:46 pm

Loren wrote:Unless the road has changed in the past couple of years, it will beat you to pieces and the last mile or so- past the ranger station- is a 4-wheel drive road. Watch the corners. Some clever person repaired washboarded corners with red clay so it can be really slick if damp. The site itself is beautiful, with a hidden cliffside spring and a pair of million-dollar composting toilets. At night the stars are amazing but carry a flashlight when moving about- rattlesnakes abound. I have been there several times thru the years and will go back again some day.
Loren

Thanks for the tips. I will take it slow and easy.
citylights
500 Club

Postby citylights » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:45 pm

I went off the pavement onto the gravel road at Hilldale, the road was in good shape, not too washboarded.

There was a mandatory stop at the ranger station at the Grand Canyon national park boundary. The rangers said, the area is Day use only, unless you have a back country permit for camping. No fires in the campground or picnic area either. Yes, I saw that. Funny that camp fires are allowed in the surrounding BLM land. The rangers can not issue the permits onsite. I was prepared for this, I had researched and there is BLM dispersed camping allowed about 30 minutes outside of the Park.

Then the ranger told me I could not bring my trailer beyond the ranger station... WHAT? I did not see that on the website or in any of the research I did. WTF!?! That really ticked me off. So I pulled off the road, dropped my teardrop, and loaded my picnic on the FJ, then went the last five miles to the rim.

The last five miles of road were pretty rough. My trailer would have been fine on it if they would have just let it go in... The 10 spot campground only had 3 vehicles in it. Perfectly available an unused - I am sure because of their stupid rules.

Gorgeous sights. Just a lot saddened by restrictive rules.

Stopped just off pavement to let air pressure in the tires down. Expecting a long washboarded gravel road.

On the Rim

Picnic spot, sadly no teardrop!

Picnic! Yes I stripped all that gear out of the teardrop. I didn't get the kitchen sink, bit I got the cook top!

Camp spot on BLM land near Mt. Tremble, about 30 minutes outside of Grand Canyon National Park.

citylights
500 Club

Re: Tuweep - trip report 10/19/14

Postby Loren » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Glad the trip worked out (mostly) for you! I've camped there but it was before any permit thing. I usually tent camped on the ledge to the north of where you picnicked. Tucked around a corner is a walled-off cave done by a shepherd in the past. To the east of there, along the cliff that goes NE, is a spring that is the size of a bathtub and has always had water in it. I normally filtered water from the potholes to augment what I carried in. It really is a great spot. Last time I took a kite and 2000 ft of string so I could say I flew my kite 5000 ft above the river. Also spit on rafters 3000 ft below- they were in no danger tho!
Loren
Loren
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mkitchen » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 am

Sorry for the disappointment. We have gone to Torroweep a few times and the last one was just before the "Big Change" it is sad that they put in so many restrictions. In late August, we still had fire rings and we brought our trailer with us. I am going to attempt to get a waiver as we need our trailer for medical reasons (Mo and I both use CPAP's and the trailer is wired to run them). Worth a try anyhow.

Tuweep/Torroweep is in my opinion, one of the most spectacular campgrounds in any of the national parks, though Ruby Point on the south rim takes a close second and is a lot closer for us who live below the canyon. It too requires a back country permit. Both sites require a vehicle that can traverse small narrow two track roads.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Ack? need permits now? I was first there in June 2002. At that time there was 2 tent sites right on the rim. I think you picniced on the table that was at the one I spent 2 nights. I went back in Feb 2012 with my teardrop that had built to take that road. The two camp sights where gone so camped at the camp ground about 1/4 mile back for two nights. Never once did I see a ranger or any official on either trip.

Beautiful area but I can see that it has been abused by thoughtless/clueless people so now we all pay. I do not mind the no campfires thing. Probably to many people burning up the local plants or just plain leaving a mess. When camping alone I do like campfires any way.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to South West