Ocean Cove's 2014 Gathering, intro & pics

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Ocean Cove's 2014 Gathering, intro & pics

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Ocean Cove, an introduction

Part of enjoying Ocean Cove might only be experienced when you understand its location and atmosphere.

Ocean Cove is found by driving north of Jenner, California for about 14 miles. The drive there is an adventure in itself, following the snaking curves of Hwy 1. As you drive along, you are treated to views of the lush hillsides above you on one side and spectacular cliffs and ocean below you, on the other. Glances at the scenery must be quick because you must keep your eyes on where the road is taking you next. At one point along the road, part of Hwy 1 has fallen down the cliff and there is a semi-permanent electronic signal system for cars to take turns, sharing the remaining 1 lane to drive both north and south..

Situated along Hwy 1, Ocean Cove Store and Campground has a relaxed atmosphere where they take your money, hand you a receipt but no map and tell you to camp wherever you want. The camp road meanders down to the cliffs with other camp roads turning off in a couple places. If you go straight to the end (straight is relative), there is a busy boat ramp and you know that not only have you gone too far; but also, you’re going to have to wait a while before you’ll be able to maneuver a turn-around to find where you’re supposed to be. (You don’t have to ask how I know.) So, plan on turning at the last road before the boat ramp and follow that road down to its end, where the teardrops and tiny trailers will be found.

I would guess that the atmosphere at this campground is similar to what might be found at a musical festival; but, instead of the music of man, you hear the music of the ocean waves, the wind, and the seagulls. Many people love it here and gather in groups, with the tent campers choosing to camp further up the hill or behind Cypresses where the wind is buffeted. There is little need for noise or party regulations because nature’s own regulator, the cold wind, comes in every afternoon/evening and influences people to retire to their camping shelters fairly early. The ground critter holes are another reason to go to bed early and stay sober. Critters love the cove and there are critter holes all through the center part of the campground; so, you need to walk carefully and always use a good flashlight at night.

The facilities offered are fairly basic. Pairs of portable, pump-out outhouses are peppered here and there. Water spigots are slightly rarer and harder to find. There are a couple outside showers near the boat ramp but I don’t think anybody was brave enough to try them...or cared.

Our 2014 Ocean Cove Gathering (click on picture to enlarge)

Some of us chose to park next to the sheltering trees; while others chose to park in the warming sun.

125355 125349 125356 125339 125350

During the day we would visit in small groups, here and there. But, when night came, most of us would gather together around a campfire.

125347 125346 125348

The views of Ocean Cove are spectacular and are part of what draws people to come here.

125360 125351 125359

The other draw is the Stillwater Cove Regional Park that can be accessed from the campground. It offers wonderful meandering trails, with a new viewing pleasure around every curve, including Stillwater Cove, itself.

125352 125342 125357 125358 125354 125345 125343 125344 125341
125340 125353
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Ocean Cove's 2014 Gathering, intro & pics

Postby rahtware » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Sorry I missed this one. I was all packed and ready to go, but came down with the flu. Hopefully I will make the next one.
Larry & Peggy
Real Airplanes Have Two Wings And Round Engines.
rahtware
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Postby rahtware » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Sorry I missed this one. I was all packed and ready to go, but came down with the flu. Hopefully I will make the next one.

When you're sick, it's not worth taking the chance, either with others or your own health.
It was really cold, Friday night...might've sent you into pneumonia.

Saturday was warm and nice with a restless ocean that sounded like thunder. ...Great for sleeping in a trailer, knowing you are warm and safe.

Feel better soon!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dave A » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:46 am

Sharon, thanks for posting
Dave
Dave A
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:19 pm

:D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby shootr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 pm

WOW! How do I keep in touch for next years gathering (if there is one)??? I'm in AZ but could see a road trip to here and Yosemite.

Great pics and info, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:43 am

shootr wrote:WOW! How do I keep in touch for next years gathering (if there is one)??? I'm in AZ but could see a road trip to here and Yosemite.

Great pics and info, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Grant Whipp organizes and publishes a schedule and contact information about upcoming gatherings http://www.teardrops.net/gatherings.html. There is a link up above in the blue banner. Its one of the TD Friendly Websites.

:thumbsup: :applause: Thank you Sharron for sharing your Ocean Cove Gathering photos. I too would like to go to one there in the future.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 pm

It has been an annual event for several years, now. It's the last major gathering of the Nor Cal camp season. As Esteban said, watch for the postings in Grant Whipp's Gatherings site. If you lose the address for that, go up to the pull-down menu by clicking on "TD Friendly Websites" in the blue header, above. Grant posts the gatherings as he hears about them and everybody knows to let him know if they are planning one. If you go, be sure to let the gathering host know that you are coming. His name and Internet address or whatever will be posted with the gathering information.

You're welcome, Steve. Glad you liked it. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to South West