Suggestions for Arizona winter camp sites?

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Suggestions for Arizona winter camp sites?

Postby mkitchen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Just got back from a camp trip to the Phoenix area and it got me to thinking about finding some "new to me" campsites for the winter. Since I am still one of those lucky fellows who still get to work all week, I need to find some new spots that aren't much over four hours from Kingman, ie. Phoenix or Colorado river area. That would give us enough time to get there by Friday night and still be able to get home in time on Sunday to get ready to go back to work. Feel free to suggest other sites that are out of this limit though as many other campers would no doubt like to hear about them. I would think that most any park that is at 2,000 feet elevation or less would do fine for some winter camping. I realize that during a cold snap, most any spot might be too cold, but for most days, winter camping works fine. I can recall a Christmas eve at Usury that was 34 degrees. That was cold but we still had a very nice time.

We have stayed in Usury Park many times as well as staying at Lost Dutchman during the Spring Clean, but who has suggestions for other spots that are low enough for comfortable winter camping. Has anyone stayed at White Tanks? How is it? We don't need any fancy amenities, we are pretty well set up and don't need power or water, but a bathroom would be nice but we can even cover that if needed. We would love to hear about some other spots to check out.
Thanks
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Re: Suggestions for Arizona winter camp sites?

Postby grant whipp » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Hey, Mikey!

I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of the campground that I stayed at after visiting the Grand Canyon in '05 ... it's outside of Williams ... so I looked it up on Google Maps (don't know why I didn't think of that earlier, 'cause I've been trying to remember the place for a couple of years now ... :roll: ...!) ... anyway, it's Kaibab Lake RA & Campground, and I remember it fondly! But then, I realized (remembered?) it's not exactly at a "lower" elevation, so Winter camping there would probably be out ... ;) ...! And, I have no idea what it's like these days. Do I at least get credit for trying ... :lol: ...?

There's just so much of the Southwest we want to explore and experience, and the sooner the better (but, I've got to finish the TugDrop and "retire" first), so I'll be watching this thread to see what folks suggest/recommend! As always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby bc toys » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Mikey I heard about a Indian area that you have right out side Kingman where you have to purchase a permit to go down to the colorado river and be right beside the river. If you find it or know about it I would like to find some info about it so we could come over there and go down to the river and camp for a few days. You could come to vegas and camp with us
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mkitchen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:52 pm

grant whipp wrote:Hey, Mikey!

I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of the campground that I stayed at after visiting the Grand Canyon in '05 ... it's outside of Williams ... so I looked it up on Google Maps (don't know why I didn't think of that earlier, 'cause I've been trying to remember the place for a couple of years now ... :roll: ...!) ... anyway, it's Kaibab Lake RA & Campground, and I remember it fondly! But then, I realized (remembered?) it's not exactly at a "lower" elevation, so Winter camping there would probably be out ... ;) ...! And, I have no idea what it's like these days. Do I at least get credit for trying ... :lol: ...?

There's just so much of the Southwest we want to explore and experience, and the sooner the better (but, I've got to finish the TugDrop and "retire" first), so I'll be watching this thread to see what folks suggest/recommend! As always ...

CHEERS!

LOL Yeah, you get credit for trying. There are lots of campgrounds in the Williams/Flagstaff area and all are pretty darn good. We sometimes go to a campground but more often just find a nice mountain meadow to camp at. But you are right, it is a bit cool now for those areas. We sure are glad to have those spots in the summer though.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby mkitchen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:59 pm

bc toys wrote:Mikey I heard about a Indian area that you have right out side Kingman where you have to purchase a permit to go down to the colorado river and be right beside the river. If you find it or know about it I would like to find some info about it so we could come over there and go down to the river and camp for a few days. You could come to vegas and camp with us

The spot you are talking about is Diamond Creek. It is on the Hualapai Reservation and you get your permit from the agency office within the motel/restaurant at Peach Springs. It is about a 35 mile ride from Peach Springs, on a well maintained dirt road (read washboards) and doable with most vehicles. Peach Springs is 50 miles east of Kingman on rt 66.

Diamond Creek is the only spot that you can drive to the Colorado River within the Grand Canyon. It is certainly worth the ride. I have not done it for a few years and I am not sure what the cost of a permit is now.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby shootr » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:46 pm

I just did a drive by last week of Lake Pleasant and they have all types of campgrounds from "primitive" to ones with pads and tables overlooking the lake. Lived here my entire 49 years and that's the first time I took a look around - seemed like a decent place to hang out.

We're going to try it in January.

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_pleasant/Camping.aspx
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby mkitchen » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:12 am

shootr wrote:I just did a drive by last week of Lake Pleasant and they have all types of campgrounds from "primitive" to ones with pads and tables overlooking the lake. Lived here my entire 49 years and that's the first time I took a look around - seemed like a decent place to hang out.

We're going to try it in January.

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_pleasant/Camping.aspx

I have not looked up in that area or above Cave Creek. I will have to check them both out.
Thanks
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby ssrjim » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Eddie usually does lake pleasant at New Years most every year.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mkitchen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:21 am

ssrjim wrote:Eddie usually does lake pleasant at New Years most every year.

Unfortunately, I will be in jail then, but I am on the side of he bars that gets paid. New Years is a bit of a busy time for us and it is hard to get off. Would love to see some pictures from the gathering.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Return to South West