campground suggestions? CA coast

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

campground suggestions? CA coast

Postby DanKinAZ » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:05 pm

Hello --

We live in Arizona, and plan to travel to Carlsbad CA on Dec 31, but in the week prior to that, we are thinking of spending a week on the CA coast in our Teardrop, perhaps up around Santa Barbara??

So, we're wondering where the best spots are to spend a few days in our Teardrop on the coast? -- keeping in mind that we'll be coming from AZ and ending up in Carlsbad.

We'd like to have access to the coast for walking, and hiking in the hills, and also to some decent restaurants when cooking in the teardrop gets old! Another option might be to camp in the CA desert, but we're not all that familiar with options.

Any suggestions? Should we plan on camping north of LA? Or are there some decent places closer to Carlsbad?

Thanks,

Dan
DanKinAZ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Archer_1 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:24 pm

Try Carpenteria State Beach. Its mid-way between Carlsbad and Santa Barbara. They have hook-ups (if you need/want power) and I think there are still spots available. We made reservations there on Sunday for 12-26/27; so if you end up there, stop by.

A more southern location you might want to check is Doheny State Beach; a bit suth of LA. Very pretty; but I don't know about availability.
Everybody enjoys a good pun; its just that nobody has ever heard one!

2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra
Archer_1
Teardrop Advisor

Carlsbad

Postby crankshaft » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:33 pm

Dan

Try Carlsbad State Beach itself.. Right on the coast and pretty nice

Look it up on the internet.

Crankshaft
crankshaft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ma3tt » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:07 pm

Pfieffer Big Sur is one of my favorites great coastal drive south to your desintation http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=570

Then cruise to Leo Carrillo Malibu,
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=616
eat at Neptunes Net down the PCH.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby emiller » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:37 pm

8) It's hard to get spots at the beach without 6 months advance reservations but have had luck before and it's easier this time of year, Try Refugio State Park it's very nice http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=603 or McGrath is usually easy http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=607 although not as nice and one of my favorites is Malibu RV park http://www.maliburv.com/home.htm

:thumbsup: Eddie in Phoenix
emiller
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:41 pm

8) I forgot we stayed at San Clemente State Beach on new years boy was it rainy but its a nice place http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=646

Eddie in Phoenix
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:57 pm

Boy everyone has just about got the coast covered. I can't add anything except that there are about 4 north of Santa Barbara no futher than 15 miles north. There is also a couple down by Ventura. This time of the year, I've had luck just popping in for a quick get-a-way. Did some one mention El Capitan State Beach, another nice camp ground just north of Santa Barbara.

Have a safe trip & have a good day.

8)
"El Capitán State Beach offers visitors a sandy beach, rocky tidepools, and stands of sycamore and oaks along El Capitán Creek. It’s a perfect setting for swimming, fishing, surfing, picnicking and camping. A stairway provides access from the bluffs to the beach area. A bike trail connects the park with Refugio State Beach, 2.5 miles away."
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:43 am

You're just about to Carlsbad, but Doheny S.B. (Dana Point) has always been good to me.....(especially the sites right on the sand)

kurt
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

CA sites

Postby DanKinAZ » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:55 am

Thanks to you all. I wasn't aware of many of these. If we have time, we'll go further north and try the Big Sur area. If not, we'll check out some of the southerly sites.

I'm not used to camping in campgrounds since we usually dry camp out in the national forest -- it ensures privacy and (usually) quiet. Which leads me to another question -- do any of these parks have sections that are for small trailers and tents, or are we just as likely to be parked next to some 50' monster of an RV?

Thanks again,

Dan.
DanKinAZ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Archer_1 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:37 am

You're most likely going to be parked next to a monster; welcome to Kalifornia. 8)
Everybody enjoys a good pun; its just that nobody has ever heard one!

2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra
Archer_1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gage » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:13 pm

DanKinAZ wrote:---------- do any of these parks have sections that are for small trailers and tents, or are we just as likely to be parked next to some 50' monster of an RV?
Thanks again,
Dan.
Here's a couple of pics at El Capitán State Beach, lower section. It's also dry camping. water and rest rooms near by.

Have a good day and enjoy your trip to the Coast.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:55 pm

Whoa... Six months in advance??? :o
Things are a little bit different at this end of the state....
Let me know if you need some coastal campground info for Mendocino, Humboldt or Del Norte counties...

Postby emiller » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:15 pm

8) Dean I noticed that it's easier farther north we go. Planning in may to head up hwy1/101 to Oregon for vacation, might meet up with afew of you guys on our trip.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:26 pm

I forgot I have pics of Big Sur

and Monarchs at Leo Carrillo they are usually there from now until January
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Kevin A » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:24 pm

emiller wrote:8) Dean I noticed that it's easier farther north we go. Planning in may to head up hwy1/101 to Oregon for vacation, might meet up with afew of you guys on our trip.

What part of May? The dam gathering is going to be in early May. If you're coming through Eureka some time after that, we ought to all get together for a weekend somewhere. Waddya think Dean?
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Next

Return to South West