Land of Mordor Expedition

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun May 24, 2015 12:47 am

Hey my Southwest friends. Something I am cooking up for 2016.

Randy
Last edited by Wolffarmer on Sun May 24, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Re: Land or Mordor Expedition

Postby Esteban » Sun May 24, 2015 1:01 pm

:thumbsup: Randy, this sounds like fun. It's nearly 1000 miles away so I could do a lot of exploring, sightseeing and camping there and back. :thinking: It's way too early to commit to coming. Lots of things would need to "fall into place" for me to make it. So I''m an indefinite maybe. Do you think a 2015 4 cyl. 170 hp Forester would be capable enough to tow a teardrop to Mordor?
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun May 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Steve, it has the power and traction. How much ground clearance? If you take it easy you will not need much more than the usual street car. But it is not "Low Rider" country out there.

We will not be traveling to fast out there so HP is not a big issue as long as you have the gears.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Sun May 24, 2015 3:02 pm

I think it is a great idea - if only I weren't 1500 miles away.

But, going back to visit my father's and grandparent's home in Rupert is on my bucket list so maybe I will make the trip. Might even bring my sister, Coeur d'Alene, who has never been to her namesake.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun May 24, 2015 4:08 pm

M C Toyer wrote:I think it is a great idea - if only I weren't 1500 miles away.

But, going back to visit my father's and grandparent's home in Rupert is on my bucket list so maybe I will make the trip. Might even bring my sister, Coeur d'Alene, who has never been to her namesake.

:thumbsup:
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Mon May 25, 2015 2:50 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Steve, it has the power and traction. How much ground clearance? If you take it easy you will not need much more than the usual street car. But it is not "Low Rider" country out there.

We will not be traveling to fast out there so HP is not a big issue as long as you have the gears.

My 2015 Forester has 8.7" of ground clearance...according to Subaru.

If I come I'd feel safer with a full size spare tire for the Forester and also a spare for the teardrop. The Forester comes with a smaller temporary spare tire. Unfortunately a full size spare doesn't fit in the trunk wheel well.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Land of Mordor Expedition

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon May 25, 2015 7:09 am

Steve. That should be enough clearance as there is no need to drive like we are making an auto commercial. A real spare tire would be better than a temporary tire. But in all the trips I have made out there I have only had one flat. It was winter and plenty of snow. I was about 20-30 miles from the nearest other human ( no phone and nobody knew I was out there ) and with the snow hiding obstacles I ripped the side wall open on a rock. Fortunately my spare worked and I made it home. In all we should not be more than 2 hours from a repair shop, unless it is Sunday. So You should be good.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Mon May 25, 2015 5:17 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Steve. That should be enough clearance as there is no need to drive like we are making an auto commercial. A real spare tire would be better than a temporary tire. But in all the trips I have made out there I have only had one flat. It was winter and plenty of snow. I was about 20-30 miles from the nearest other human ( no phone and nobody knew I was out there ) and with the snow hiding obstacles I ripped the side wall open on a rock. Fortunately my spare worked and I made it home. In all we should not be more than 2 hours from a repair shop, unless it is Sunday. So You should be good.

Randy

Thanks Randy. Your adventure is enticing me. It's a year away which gives me time to complete my teardrop and do some shorter "shake down" camping trips before doing a long distance one. Consider me an indefinite maybee. In 2016 I also want to go to IRG if Dean and Joanie do it again. The Summer of 2016 may be rich with adventure.

I have a green slime patch kit and compressor in my Forester as a backup/alternative to changing a tire.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon May 25, 2015 5:46 pm

That is one victim, er participant.

Will you be with any SO's?

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Mon May 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Hey, Randy!

Kay & I are a definite maybe, too ... still too soon to make a solid commitment, but it's a great idea/adventure that is right up our alley ... :thumbsup: ...!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon May 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Super. You planning on a teardrop or a trailer?

I have a Shower/changing room/porta pot holder. Any suggestions on a porta pot for it?

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon May 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Super. You planning on a teardrop or a trailer?

I have a Shower/changing room/porta pot holder. Any suggestions on a porta pot for it?

Randy

Randy:

We used these on a five-day Missouri canoe paddle last year. They work well. http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products ... oilet+bags

Along with this: http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products ... ottie+bags

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue May 26, 2015 12:57 am

Tony. I been trending along that way. I got or can get lots of buckets and who really needs the seat? :D :D

I imagine the Expedition will be coed and my knees do not like squatting behind a bush these days. It can be a bit undignified. I would like to get a 7 gallon bucket, the handicapped model.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue May 26, 2015 9:22 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Tony. I been trending along that way. I got or can get lots of buckets and who really needs the seat? :D :D

I imagine the Expedition will be coed and my knees do not like squatting behind a bush these days. It can be a bit undignified. I would like to get a 7 gallon bucket, the handicapped model.

Randy

Yeah, old knees.

Those sacks are spendy but damn handy. They have a powder in them that gels the liquid and a heavy duty ziplock to seal it well. No touchy, no feelie. And no smell.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sun May 31, 2015 5:30 am

Wolffarmer wrote:That is one victim, er participant.

Will you be with any SO's?

Randy

:thinking: That's indefinite too. :worship: In a year, with a little luck, I may have a SO in my life. ideally a (one) SO who likes to :vroom:
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Next

Return to South West