Redding, CA - April 1st?

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Redding, CA - April 1st?

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:06 pm

Grant--

My sister in Redding told me she saw something about a festival in Redding on April 1st that will have teardrops on show. What's that all about?

Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby grant whipp » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:08 pm

I was waiting 'til I had all the details worked out and participating trailers confirmed before I announced it, here, but since you asked ... ;-} ;-} ... here's how it is shaping up ... so far:

Our local and nationally recognized Turtle Bay Museum & Educational Complex (also the site of the world famous Santiago Calatrava "Sundail Bridge") is currently running an exhibit called "Pleasurable Passtimes" that documents the recreational nature and history of our not-so-little part of Northern California - a 1947 Ken-Skill is part of the display. The Museum approached us about expanding the exhibit for one weekend and focus on teardrops and give some presentions on history, building, and show the current state of Teardropping today. There will be about 6 teardrops on display outside on the Bridge Plaza (between the Museum and the Sundial Bridge). Included will be one vintage original commercially mfgd. teardrop, a concourse-quality restored vintage mfgd. model, a vintage original homebuilt, a just-finished contemporary homebuilt (by a young lady as her Senior High School Project!), and one or two examples of currently available commercailly produced teardrops. All trailers will be set up as if they were at a campsite (which won't be much of a stretch, because the owners will actually be camping in their trailers on the Plaza!) and the owners/builders there to answer questions and show off their prized possesions. There will be several presentations/seminars given inside the Museum on both days (Sat. & Sun.), including the full presentation on Lydia's teardrop construction as required for her Senior Class Project.

Teardrop Trailers, Culture, and Education - it's going to be a slightly different weekend than we are used to, but fun and beneficial for all involved to be sure! Hope those of you who can will try to be there.

'Til later ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby grant whipp » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi, All!

Well, it's taken a little longer than I hoped it would, but things are solid as to what & who will be happening at what is now being called the Turtle Bay Teardrop Classic, here in Redding, CA, April 1 & 2.

The original plan called for about six trailers parked & camped on the Sundial Bridge Plaza at the south end of the Sundial Bridge, but then several concerns about 24-hour exposure to the general public were raised, and it was decided to move the trailers into the Paul Bunyan Logging Camp complex, which is far more secure. We also had considerably more room to expand the display, and now we have about 18 teardrops that will be attending. From the beginning, we wanted to give a good overall representation of the history of Teardropping and its resurgence today. I think you'll agree that we've come up with a pretty good cross-section for people to see.

WHO'S ON DISPLAY...
1937 Gypsy Caravan (original) - Norm & Ann Markus, Crockett, CA
1940-41 Slumbercoach (unrestored, as found in a blackberry patch) - Grant Whipp, Redding, CA
1947 KIT Kamper Deluxe (restored) - Don & Claudia East, Yreka, CA
1947 Modernistic (restored) - Dean Bessom, Camino, CA
1948-50 Ken-Skill (custom restored) - John & Phyllis Green, Sacramento, CA
1950 Homebuilt (restored) - Donn & Donna Marschall, Kelseyville, CA
1950 KampMaster (restored) - Mike & Debbie Smith, Sparks, NV
1950 Modernistic (unrestored, kit version) - Leah Harper, Redding, CA
195? Homebuilt (original) - Gunter Lisenski, Anderson, CA
1955 Kom-Pak (restoredl, boat-on-the-roof) - Jerry Rice, Petaluma, CA
1998 Homebuilt - Dan & Susie Ide, Shasta Lake, CA
2004 Camp-Inn - Jolene Dennis, San Bruno, CA
2004 Li'l Bear - Lisa Baechtle, Ono, CA
2005 Campster/Li'l Bear - Clyde Dragoo, McArthur, CA - no e-mail
2006 Homebuilt (Kuffle Creek Plans) - Lydia McElroy, Etna, CA
(there have been a couple of cancelations, and I'm currently working on finding replacements)

From the beginning, this display was to include some presentations to the public about a variety of elements of Teardropping, in a classroom or activity room-type setting. Here's what is in store:
• there will give a brief talk about the history of Teardrops.
• Lydia McElroy (a senior at Etna High School in Etna, CA) will give her (formal and graded) Senior Class Project presentation about the construction of her teardrop and what it entailed.
• there will be a discussion about building your own teardrop.
• a couple of the gals will give a little talk about seeking out and finding cool vintage accessories to give that special vintage look to your teardrop.
• a couple of the guys will give a little talk about the pitfalls and rewards of restoring/rebuilding a vintage teardrop.
• at least one camper will be showing off their DO cooking skills.

While this event is not a Gathering, per se, it is an excellent opportunity for further public education and exposure for Teardropping. If you are in the area, by all means come on out and join us - if you bring your teardrop or TTT, there will be ample space for parking (and if you want to spend a night or two, there are a limited number of "spaces" where you can park/camp 'round my shop - otherwise, there is a nice little former-KOA campground tucked away not too far from Turtle Bay).

More information about Turtle Bay and/or the Sundial Bridge (along with directions on how to get there) can be found on the Turtle Bay website, www.turtlebay.org

Hope to see a few of you there, so stop by and make yourself known!

'Til next time ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Turtle Bay

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:20 pm

8) What a fun way to display Pleasurable Pasttimes!

This sounds so GREAT! Not only teardrops, but a gorgeous location with so much to see and do right there at Turtle Bay. The Sundial Bridge, the Botantical Gardens, plus all the things to do at the exploratorium... I hope to get over there and check it out....in my car..... :R TDN
Update for the coming weekend: Dean & I will be there in spirit! Kids coming for the weekend, nasty weather in the mountains and unstable road conditions on my end of the county are ongoing. I think we'll wait until later in the spring with the HWY being closed intermittently for slides.
Have a wonderful time and share the joy of TDs with new found converts. :thumbsup:
Last edited by The Teardrop Nanny on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby tupelosue » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:58 am

grant, what a great collection you'll have. wish i could be there.

sue
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby sftiggee » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:16 pm

I cannot wait to go to this:) I have to drag my trailer out of storage and get it cleaned up, same with the bug.

I'm gonna pack light and just enjoy in the moment. I plan on making up a little scrapbook of sorts with pics of the trailer's build and some camping pics and gathering pics, and a brief description of my trailer and why i chose it. that way, people can still check out my trailer while i might be away from it.

Woohoo, my first trip of the year:)
Jolene, Luke, Jackson, Lilianne, and Bandit
2006 Camp-Inn Raindrop Ultra
2007 Dodge Magnum RT
sftiggee
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sftiggee » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:19 pm

can anyoen get ahold of Grant Whipp via cell phone or telephone and let him know that I'm having electrical trouble and I dont' know if i'm gonna make it to this festival!! :( :(

we're still working on it and if i even get it going, its gonna be saturday afternoon at the earliest before i get there :(
Jolene, Luke, Jackson, Lilianne, and Bandit
2006 Camp-Inn Raindrop Ultra
2007 Dodge Magnum RT
sftiggee
Platinum Donating Member

Return to South West