Gorn place

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Gorn place

Postby asianflava » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 pm

I don't know how to ask this because I don't know the name of it, I just call it the "Gorn place." It is a rock outcropping where James T Kirk fought the Gorn (lizard man). I've seen it in numerous movies and commercials. All I know is that it is 30miles from LA.

I was wondering if anyone knows where it is or even what it is called. Has anyone been there? Gage? Do they have camping facilities?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby emiller » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:12 pm

:thumbsup: I remeber my dad taking me to Vasques rocks. Also I remember a canyon I believe on the highway to Lancaster that was the original wagon crossing through the mountains. Is that the 14 freeway?
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:17 pm

I was the supervisor at that vazquez for 7 years I will post some pictures on friday. I have some tales about that park! No camping for individuals but we might be able to score a gathering, insurance is the problem! and springtime is the only time to visit flowers, weather etc. Primative camping at best. I spent many a night there with all the filming.

Here is a picture......

Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby asianflava » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:42 pm

That's it! :thumbsup:
I knew somebody here would know what I was talking about. It is also a possible stop. I'm just gathering possible stops right now. I'll streamline the plan once we decide where we are going.

Thanks guys.

BTW: It'll still be called the "Gorn Place" to me.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:50 pm

They also filmed the Flintstones (the movie) there a few years back. Ma377, My parents camped there for two nights in a class 'C' motorhome about 25/30 years ago. Also at the time there was not suppose to be any overnight camping. The rangers put them west and south of the ranger's house. A portion of the park that visitors don't usually see. He was a good talker.

asianflava, it's only about 15 or so miles up hwy 14 from I-5. And while your in the area, you might as well stop off at Magic Mountain for the day. ;) It's just over the hill on I-5.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby emiller » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:33 pm

:thumbsup: Here is the canyon I was talking about http://employees.oxy.edu/jerry/beale.htm
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:11 am

Darn, I meant to post that also above. Yep, good old Beals Cut. It's amost been destroyed by vandals. There is no more plaque on Seirra hwy any more and it's now fenced off so you can't get to it.

-Beals Cut 1872-
-Tom Mix jumping Beals Cut in 1923 (did he or didn't he? answer below)-

"One thing is certain about the jump over Beale's Cut: Mix didn't do it. Several movie stuntmen claim credit for the jump over Beale's Cut, but the jump in the film is most likely a composite. (In spite of the ramp at upper left, consider the proportions of the horse and rider to the actual crevice.) What is likely, however, is that a stuntman or two — including Andy Jauregui of Newhall — did make a similar jump over Beale's Cut, doubling for Mix, for three (?) trailers that were shot for various releases of the film."

Have a good day.
:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:05 am

Ma3tt wrote:I was the supervisor at that vazquez for 7 years I will post some pictures on friday. I have some tales about that park!

Oh do tell!
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:18 am

I worked hundreds of hours on the flintsones but it was closed to cameras. we did 5- 15 photo permits a week for fashion shoots, car ads tv show and feature films. Good Times.
For some of the best shots check out "Amazon Women On the Moon"

Here is a big set under construction about 2 weeks into it they flew an airplane into it I don't recall what movie this was but it was big explosions!

Special effects training for rangers..

Don't Mess with the Ranger... during a Bette Midler Film

I'm the one on the left. NOtice what I'm wearing I have two pairs of pants plus long underwear, two sweaters and it was still COLD!
Be Good
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:25 am

Ma3tt--

You're one tough lookin' hombre sittin' on the bumper of tha Humvee. Bet the chicks dig it. :lol: By the way, if you were cold with multiple layers what about the guy from the Knights of the Roundtable? :snow:
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby owenmpk » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:59 am

Well if we are talking rocks then I just have to add "The geology of Vasquez Rocks consists of coarse clastics deposited upon volcanic rocks released as the North American tectonic plate initially collided with the Pacific Plate about 25 million years ago." :awesome:

And on another note. Drive up 14 to 395 then Lone Pine to see the Alabama Hills. Many movies and TV commercials have been made there. Oh and on the way you will pass Red Rock Canyon another film spot
owenmpk
Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:53 pm

Owenmpk ---- Flaglomerate (sp.)? or conglomerate?

Rob That aint no Humvee thats a half track it had tank tread in the back and regular wheels in front. And rollin' 50s on the top! It was fun to drive. They flew two P-51 s about 10 feet of the top of the rocks during one shot. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

The funniest response we ever got from a park patron was when Taco Bell fiomed an ad there, and how we had sold out by letting fast food joints build a resturant in our parks. It was just a prop. a full scale with tables etc prop.
Be Good
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby owenmpk » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 am

Ma3tt wrote:Owenmpk ---- Flaglomerate (sp.)? or conglomerate?

Not sure but here is the definition: "When a conglomerate is formed deep within alluvial fans in desert environments, the resulting rock is often called a fanglomerate."

So based on this and my recolection of the outcrops as I have driving by at 65 mph in the 60s and many Star Trek reruns et al, I would say there are to many fines for it to be called a Flanglomerate.
owenmpk
Donating Member

Return to South West