Make your own instant oatmeal packets

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Make your own instant oatmeal packets

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:23 am

Make your own instant oat packets by chopping them in the blender. Place the oats in individual seal-able bags or Ziplock bags, adding in whatever you want. I like mine with a little Sucanat (raw sugar) & Craisins (dried cranberries) or maple sugar & raisins, etc. You can also add a little nonfat dry milk or dry milk substitute before sealing. When ready to use, open the packet, place in a bowl, add hot water, and stir. (For extra protein, you can add in a tablespoonful of peanut or other nut butter when you add the hot water.) See instructions for making quick cooking oats or instant oats, below.

From THE HAPPYHERBIVORE.COM
DIY: How to Turn Rolled Oats into Quick Cooking Oats
...Quick (or quick cooking) oats are just rolled (aka old fashioned) oats that have been pressed thinner to make them cook faster. If you have a recipe that calls for quick cooking oats and you only have rolled oats, here’s how to make your own:
Place rolled oats into the food processor and pulse 4-5 times until they are coarsely chopped but not powdery.
By cutting up the rolled oats, you make them faster to cook and very similar to store-bought quick oats. You only need a few pulses, otherwise the oats will turn to mush when they’re cooked (like those instant oats packets). Instead of keeping two different containers around, just buy rolled oats and turn them into quick oats whenever you need them.

A common question I get is what is the difference between instant oats and rolled oats and can you interchange them?
Rolled oats are bigger than instant oats and take longer to cook (see the size difference in the video). If a recipe calls for instant oats, but you only have rolled oats, no problem.
How to turn Rolled Oats into Instant Oats: Chop the rolled oats up in your food processor or blender so that they're smaller, more granulated and the consistency of instant oats.
You can also use instant oats in place of bread crumbs in most recipes, I actually really like using them in my burger recipes. Instead of bread crumbs I use a small handful of instant oats (about 1/3 cup).
When using oats instead of bread crumbs, do not automatically do a direct 1:1 substitution since oats are so much bulkier and they're thirsty, so they can dry out your food if you add too many. Start with less, about 1/3 cup and add more as necessary.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Make your own instant oatmeal packets

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:55 pm

Interesting I will bring this to Nancy's attention. We were talking about trying oatmeal in our small crock pot.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jonw » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:49 pm

A lot of times if it's cold out I'll heat/boil some water before going to bed. I'll put some regular (non-instant) oatmeal and hot water in a wide-mouth thermos, close it up, and let it cook all night. In the morning add raisins, sweetner, milk power and: instant oatmeal!

I'll also put some of the hot water in another thermos to use for hot/warm wash water the next morning.

Try it - you'll like it...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:27 pm

jonw wrote:A lot of times if it's cold out I'll heat/boil some water before going to bed. I'll put some regular (non-instant) oatmeal and hot water in a wide-mouth thermos, close it up, and let it cook all night. In the morning add raisins, sweetner, milk power and: instant oatmeal!

I'll also put some of the hot water in another thermos to use for hot/warm wash water the next morning.

I've heard of doing that and putting in the refrigerator overnight; but, the idea of putting it in a thermos overnight is a new one on me! I may have to drag my old thermos out of the back of the closet! Or...Esteban's Thermal Cooker (Saratoga Jack's) could work very well for that.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57592
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jonw » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:38 am

S. Heisley wrote:Or...Esteban's Thermal Cooker (Saratoga Jack's) could work very well for that.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57592

I too have a Saratoga Jacks thermal cooker, which is great if you're feeding a crowd. That's where I got the idea from for using a small wide mouth thermos to do the same thing for just one or two people.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:31 pm

jonw wrote:A lot of times if it's cold out I'll heat/boil some water before going to bed. I'll put some regular (non-instant) oatmeal and hot water in a wide-mouth thermos, close it up, and let it cook all night.

jon -

Do you use the recommended water and oatmeal portions or do you have to adjust for the long cooking time?
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby jonw » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:01 am

M C Toyer wrote:jon -

Do you use the recommended water and oatmeal portions or do you have to adjust for the long cooking time?

Depends on how you like your oatmeal. If you like it more firm and flaky, then put in twice as much water, for mushy then more water.

For a single serving use 1/2 cup oats to 1 cup water (for firm) or 1 1/2 cup water for looser. I probably use about 1 1/4 cups water to a 1/2 cup oats.

BTW, this is the thermos I bought for this purpose: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-Steel-Ounce-Midnight/dp/B008JC76XA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448204588&sr=8-2&keywords=wide+mouth+thermos
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:26 am

Hi Jon
You are still our Thermo Cooking hero! :thumbsup:
Will you make the IRG in 2016?
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby jonw » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Vedette wrote:Hi Jon
You are still our Thermo Cooking hero! :thumbsup:
Will you make the IRG in 2016?
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

Hey Brian and Sandi!

Depends on when it is. I have a dulcimer festival in Michigan in mid-July and am planning on heading out west after that for a 4-6 week trip to visit Glacier, Washington State, Vancouver, the Canadian Rockies, and the UP. If the timing works we'll take a detour to Jefferson State for the IRG, and any other teatdrop gatherings in session along the way.

Hope to see you guys there again...

Jon W
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1