Home-made Teardrop ICE-CREAM?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Home-made Teardrop ICE-CREAM?

Postby SafariBear » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:14 am

Home-made ice-cream is always a treat! Here is a fun project that will keep the kids busy ... but it does require a little advance preparation.

You will need a couple of zip-lock freezer bags and a large coffee can or other suitable container (for the ice). I use a large plastic cashew nut jar I got from Sam's.

Pour about a cup or so of half-and-half cream (or just plain milk if that is all you have) into a zip-lock bag. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar, a dash of salt (to help make it freeze), and A VERY SMALL SPLASH of vanilla flavoring (too much will keep it from freezing). If you want to add some chocolate chips, peanut butter, etc., that is ok, too.

Put that freezer bag inside a second bag (it helps to keep it from leaking) and place it inside the large can/jar. Fill with ice from the cooler, pour some salt onto the ice (the more, the better), and tighten the lid.

Give the can/jar to the kids and tell them to roll it around the campsite, shake it up, or even toss it to each other .... anything to keep it moving while it freezes (about 12 to 20 minutes, depending on a lot of factors).

When frozen, remove the inner bag from the outter bag. Snip off one corner and squeeze out delicious home-made ice-cream!
SafariBear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:51 pm

I have done this with a class of kids for Science and it works great! Thanks for reminding me about it. Then you can leave the old hand crank machine at home. :R

TD Nanny
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1