Ren Fest Turkey Legs

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Ren Fest Turkey Legs

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:34 am

If you've ever had a turkey leg at the Ren Fest, you know how good they are...

Today's challenge is to come up with some equally good tasting turkey legs, right here at home! I soaked the legs in a brine overnight, and just put them out on the smoker. Here's what they look like right now...

Oh yea, there's a pork butt out there too. I couldn't let all that surface area on the smoker go to waste!!! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Ren Fest Turkey Legs

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:11 pm

It's 3:00 PM. Here's how it looks...

I got a new remote thermometer this morning so I was trying to determine if the meat was done according to that.

When the meat temps started dropping even though the smoker temps were constant, I knew something was wrong.

So first I pulled a drumstick. And tasted it. It was almost perfect. But it could have come off a half hour earlier.

Then I tasted the pork butt. It too was done, but it was not falling apart tender. I had hoped to do some pulled pork with it. So I brought it in the house, and dropped it into the crockpot. I'm hoping it's fall apart tender before I go to bed. Meanwhile I realize I still have a lot to learn! :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Ren Fest Turkey Legs

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:19 pm

It's a couple hours later, and the pork butt is doing good. I pulled the first chunk out of the crockpot and tried shredding it. It shredded well. And if you look, you can see the red in the meat from the smoker! :thumbsup:

A little bbq sauce and we can call it a meal! :thumbsup:

Mike...

mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1