I've been thinking I'd like to put together some spice packs

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

I've been thinking I'd like to put together some spice packs

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Hey Guys,

I've been thinking... oh, that's dangerous! But never mind that... I've been thinking I'd like to put together some spice packets, like the kind that you get at the store...

You know, Chili, and that kind of stuff.

And if any of them turn out decent, I could even give them away next Christmas.

Mixing the spices is not rocket science. The question here is, what is the best envelope or bag to put the spices into. Is there a good way to make labels to put on the envelopes?

Has anyone here ever put together something like this?

I can even see this being something I would take along camping!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: I've been thinking I'd like to put together some spice p

Postby Wanna Be » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Ziplock Snack size baggies work great !!
Use a sharpie marker to mark the bags so you know what your opening before you get a "WHOOPS" in the pot.

Wanna Be

;) ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:08 am

Tic tak boxes
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:20 am

If you use zip lock bags, permanent marker on the outside rubs off. So add a half of a 3 x5 file card to the inside of the bag. That way you can even add more directions or notes of what you put in so that you can try out different blends of the same thing like taco mix etc. There are lots of recipes on the Internet. Look up things like "Make a Mix". Here is a Pintrest Pin that has quite a few of the spice mixes scattered around in it. http://www.pinterest.com/pamdesigns/a-r ... ake-a-mix/. (To get to the actual page through Pintrest you have to click on the picture twice)

I like this lady's blog, and she has some good spice recipes that will get you started: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/201 ... tings.html

I would love to see what you come up with and some of your finished recipes.

Good luck.
Cindy
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:52 am

Nice website Cindy. Thanks.

I'm thinking about using some brown craft envelopes, 4" wide by 6" high. Maybe print some color labels for the front of it.

The recipes are going to be a little more challenging. For example, for the beef merlot recipe, do I use dehydrated merlot? Or do I attach the envelope to a tiny bottle of merlot?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:25 am

As someone that enjoys cooking, I would prefer the bottle versus the powdered version. It could be inside the bag. Same as I would rather use a real onion over dehydrated onion if given the choice. As for a plastic bag, they sell heavier plastic zip lock type bags in all sizes. I would rather get spices in one of those over a baggie. To me it is just more professional. I like the brown bags, and a cleaver label would make a nice presentation. Good luck with the project!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:41 am

Hi WB,

Of course, I prefer the fresh too! Today I am doing Bowls of Texas Red. I used fresh onion and garlic. But in a brown bag, I would probably have to use dehydrated... :(

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Zollinger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:11 am

Don't know if this helps you Mike, but this is what I do. I like to give this kind of stuff away as hostess gifts at Vintage Trailer Rally's ect. I buy all my mason/canning jars at garage sales and thrift shops. Make lables using my greeting card program, attach with clear contact paper. And Bob's Yer Uncle an instant gift! :D My husband named my company for me.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 pm

I like and would buy that, Dawn! Those would make nice gifts, too! However, for camping, I might transfer the ingredients into some sort of sealed plastic bag, just because bags usually take up less space, are easily packed, and aren't as harmful, if they break. So, I think it depends the purpose that the product is marketed for.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:18 pm

I make my own packets of my home-made instant hot chocolate. I haven't printed anything on the packets, yet, but I do label dear daughter's HC (she likes hers dessert sweet, I like mine a bit dark-chocolate-bitter with a touch of chile and cinnamon). This works if you have a seal-a-meal or a food saver.

Use freezer paper (paper on one side, plastic on the other). Once you know your size, cut out simple rectangle that will fold to the right size plus borders. Fold with the plastic on the inside. Use the hot wire on your FS or SAM to seal the edges, leaving one open to fill. (You can also use an iron just along the edge, I have used medium heat, as I recall.) Print anything you want at this stage. Fill, and then seal the final edge.

Another method for single-portion spices in much smaller amounts is the drinking straw method. For this, I use the fat straws you can find for frozen drinks, like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Large-Extra-Straw ... 6HGNM76Q8D
Pinch one end closed with pliers and use a flame to melt the plastic closed. Fill with a small/mini funnel. Pinch the other end closed and melt the plastic. Wrap a small piece of masking tape around it and label with contents. I just checked my kitchen cabinet and discovered I'm out of the fat ones, but I filled a standard 8" straw to check its volume, and it holds exactly 1 tsp (I used salt). I haven't done it with liquids, but my kids have talked about making their own honey sticks, and I have considered vanilla and almond extracts for DO baking in camp. (Got this basic idea from a backpacker youtube series.)

Catherine :coffee:

Hot Cocoa

1 Cup vanilla sugar
1 1/4 Cup Instant nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
(Optional 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch to 1/2 teaspoon of NM red chile powder (this is more like cayenne than the spice blend you can buy most places)
1/2 Cup baking cocoa powder (I use natural, NOT Dutch processed) (3/4 Cup for my dark chocolate version)

To make vanilla sugar, put a vanilla bean in a quart canning jar and add sugar to the top, dry. Leave for a week minimum. Use the sugar as desired and always top it up again so you have it for the next recipe. We also use it in pancakes, for example, and in cinnamon sugar. I try to replace the vanilla bean once a year, but have gone as much as two years. :oops:

Put the sugar and the dry milk in a dry blender containter, add cornstarch, salt, and spices if using. (DO NOT put the cocoa in. It starts to melt under the temperature of blending, just making a big mess.) Blend until fine. A blender really works much better than a food processor for this. Put through a sieve (I use one like this: http://www.amazon.com/HIC-Brands-Cook-S ... fine+sieve) and break up all lumps. This makes it easier to mix later. Put the cocoa powder through the same sieve into the same container. Mix well.

Now you have to play to decide how much to package up for each drink. I put 3 heaping teaspoons in each packet for myself, and mix in a 15-16 oz coffee mug. DD likes hers sweeter, as I said, so she puts 4 heaping teaspoons in each packet and mixes with less water.
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby celticquetzel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:00 pm

For small or single servings - little zip bags from the jewelry section at hobby lobby.
celticquetzel
Teardrop Master

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1