Quinoa

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Quinoa

Postby SmokeyBob » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Anyone use Quinoa (kinwa) in their recipes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

I'm going to try this one today. Quinoa granola bars.

Ingre­di­ents

Cook­ing oil spray
2 ½ cups gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick)
½ cup quinoa flour
½ cup non­fat dry milk powder
½ cup unsweet­ened coconut
½ cup sliced almonds or chopped pecans
½ cup chopped dried apples or other dried fruit or berries
½ cup cur­rants or raisins
½ tea­spoon salt
1 cup dark honey
½ cup nat­ural almond but­ter or peanut butter
2 tea­spoons pure vanilla extract
TIP: You can eas­ily make quinoa flour by grind­ing whole quinoa seeds into a fine pow­der by using a cof­fee grinder, process about ¼ at a time. ¾ cup of quinoa seeds will yield approx­i­mately 1 cup of quinoa flour. This way, you can make as much as needed.

Method

Pre­heat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch bak­ing pan with cook­ing oil spray.
In a large mix­ing bowl, mea­sure the rolled oats, quinoa flour, milk pow­der, coconut, almonds, dried apples, cur­rants, and salt. Stir well to com­bine and set aside.
In a small saucepan, warm the honey and nut but­ter over low heat, stir­ring occa­sion­ally until blended. Do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
Add the warm honey mix­ture to the dry ingre­di­ents and quickly stir the mix­ture until it’s well com­bined. The mix­ture will be sticky but not wet.
Pat the mix­ture into the pre­pared bak­ing pan and press firmly with your hands to remove any air pock­ets. Bake the bars until they just begin to brown on the edges, about 25 minutes.
Cool for 10 min­utes and cut then into 24 bars, each about 1½ x 2¼ inches.
When the bars are just cool enough to han­dle, remove them from the pan to a cool­ing rack. When they are com­pletely cool, store them in an air­tight con­tainer. Keep the in the refrig­er­a­tor for opti­mal freshness.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Quinoa

Postby LandCommander » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Ohh these look yummy. I use quinoa al the time, such a great nutrition packed food. I make it at home in a rice maker in big batches and use it throughout the week. Great by itself with salt pepper and little vinegarette or sauté some pepper and onions. Also good for breakfast with a poached egg on top.

Eric
LandCommander
Teardrop Builder

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1