Any Simple Recipes out there?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Any Simple Recipes out there?

Postby ae6black » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:22 pm

I am not really all that fancy of a cook at home so I am not expecting to go all that hog wild while I am out camping. Does anybody have any simple recipes for Chicken, Hamburg, Ham, Beef, Venison, or Rice that only have a few ingredients in them that they'd be willing to share? Some of the ingredients included in some of the recipes on this site include things I've never even heard of. When I think of a venison roast cooked in a DO, I think I'am getting pretty fancy with just a cup of Italian Seasoning added to the bit of water and bit of carrots and potatoes that I put in the pot. I'd love to find a recipe for chicken and rice that would do well in a DO without burning to much. I guess I am weird, I've always heard that things move slower when you're on Teardrop time, but I never seem to slow down and don't really want to take too much time to cook things when I am out Hunting or Fishing. Does anybody have any suggestions for someone with simple Culinary tastes like mine?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Any Simple Recipes out there?

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:15 pm

One of my favorites that does not take all that long: 1 or 2 cans (depending on your camp population) of you favorite vegetable chunky chicken soup (no noodles) in your DO.... after it's hot add canned biscuits or some Bisquick batter on top and a little while later you have camp style chicken and dumplings. :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Dinty Moore canned stew, one pot easy cleanup. If you want more cooking then check out the T&TTT cook book section http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=51 for lots of ideas. They are all good, and most are fairly easy. You can even download the cookbook

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Dutch Oven Peking Chicken:

Place chicken pieces in a dutch oven, cover with a bottle of Russian dressing (use your judgment on how much), dump a can of mandarin oranges over the top and bake until done.

And it's really-really tasty.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 pm

I think I might try that chicken recipe this week. Thanks! That's the sort of thing that I can prepare.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 am

Easiest Chicken dinner for four! :thumbsup:
12" Regular DO.....14 briquettes on top and 10 under
Oil up a whole chicken, salt, pepper, rosemary, and any other seasonings you like........place in DO and cook for 45 minutes.
Turn Chicken over and Change coals(same amount)
Add potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips, and fennel if you like it.........chopped to your desired size.
Cook for another 45 minutes to an hour........and place on table.
Do not worry about liquid! You will be amazed at how much will be produced by the Chicken & Vegetables.
This make the moistest and most fender Chicken you will ever eat!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:01 am

If you like hokien style soya sause chicken it's realy easy to make.
I make it in my Le crusiet enamel DO at home and my ecopot camping or a DO.
It's chicken poached in a "master stock" witch consists of chicken stock, soy sauce, sesame oil, and water as the base with the addition of bay leaf, cinnamon stick, star anese, garlic, ginger, and chill.
You can add more herbs spices and remove some as you like.
The actual principal to this method is to use the heat retention of the pot and the temperature of the liquid to poach the chicken to perfection.
Boil all the ingredients to the quantity you like for 15 minutes or so, add the whole chicken and and return to the boil, reduce to a fast simmer for 20-25 minutes then remove from heat and preferably wrap a towel around it if it's atmospheric cold.
The residual heat will cook it while you go for a walk or relax and a decent DO it will be ready from 1.5 hours but will still be as good several hours later.
If your concerned with food safety try it and check it with a temp probe and get used to your equipment.
This recipie is thousands of years old and fantastic.
Serve the chicken on rice with the stock ladled over and Asian greens or use noodles an greens in a noodle soup.
Trust me make it at home a couple of times and you'll have it down pat

I recently got an ecopot and I can do the chicken in the bottom pot, rice and greens in the top and it feeds a decent amount of people or good leftovers for sandwiches ect.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dales133 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:07 am

Best thing you can do is get one of these http://www.ecopot.com.au/
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Um, why do you need to cook differently in camp than you do at home?

Okay, a camp stove usually has two burners instead of four, but if you are used to cooking simple meals that shouldn't be a problem.

How many will you be cooking for? One? Two? Easy peasy! I personally cook for three, but the kids are 13 now, so I look for recipes that feed 6. :lol:

Next, what pans will you be cooking with? I have two sets of pans, light-weight aluminum (from the ancient past when I backpacked with my dad, and including some of his backpacking gear) and cast iron. I mostly pack the cast iron now, and one large aluminum pot if I plan on pasta or rice. I no longer use non-stick pans, as high heat degrades the surface (and releases a toxic gas), and both camp fires and camp stoves can produce very high heat. Well-seasoned cast iron is essentially non-stick, so that is not a problem. If you really like eggs sunny side up or over easy, though, I would invest in a skillet or griddle 50-75 years old, as they have a smoother texture than modern cast iron, and an egg will just slip across the surface when it is well-seasoned. I have a round griddle, my comal, with just such a surface, that is perfect for eggs over easy and also fresh tortillas and crepes and pancakes. However, stainless steel is also a choice. Aluminum has a lower melting point, and I sometimes get my frying pan, um, screaming hot, which can warp/melt Al pans, so I don't use Al any more.

Oh, and you don't need a full set of pans in your camper. Take what you will use. When my kids were small, I took my 6-inch/1-qt Dutch oven (small desert), 8-inch/2-qt DO (main dish), a 70-yo 6-inch frying pan (for my egg, pre-comal), and 8-inch frying pan (general frying/browning/et.al), and sometimes the spaghetti pot. Now the 6-inchers stay home and I also have a 10-inch frying pan and a 10-inch DO. If you need a lid on a frying pan, the lid off of a similarly sized DO will work, although it won't be as tight a fit as on the DO itself. Alternatively, if you are using SS pans instead of CI, you can pick up a universal lid at the hardware store, in glass (maybe not), metal, or silicon.

We also plan some meals around pie-iron gadgets. We especially like the Bratt-cooker (for example, http://www.amazon.com/Romes-1905-Cooker ... B000E0PQ50) and we have a waffle iron (http://www.amazon.com/Romes-1405-Waffle ... 6JMZEYXMW1), although I need the larger size now (see above, 13-yos). Oh, and I bought a WaffleDog last spring (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waffle-Dog-Iron ... 3f30b94749). Love it with breakfast sausage and pancake batter! Also good with Italian sausage and cornbread batter!
:thumbsup:

Or do you plan to grill over the coals from your camp fire? That makes for an easy meal. Prep at home for easy cooking in camp.

1. Cut a good-sized sheet of aluminum foil for each camper. Lay it out flat. Take fresh green beans, topped and tailed, one handful per sheet of foil. Slice one small zucchini for every 2 campers, into longwise wedges., and line up with the beans in the center of the foil. Add minced garlic and onions, sliced pole to pole, as desired. I would add Italian herb mix to this, and a pinch of salt. Add just a touch of butter or a spray of olive oil, your choice. Fold up as shown here:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/how- ... il-packets
Olive oil is a solid at refrigerator/ice chest temperatures, so once chilled there is no danger of it spilling in your ice chest. I would slide these packets into a plastic bag for transport.

2. Marinate/Brine boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 per camper) for about ½ hour. Drain and store in a plastic bag, all the air squeezed out. Refrigerate or freeze, depending on how soon you plan to cook this in camp.

3. Wrap one corn cob per camper in foil. I would butter the corn before wrapping, and would add just the lightest dusting of chili powder. Just saying. Alternatively, wrap one potato per camper (small, medium, or large, your choice) in foil. I would oil the skin first.

Take long-handled tongs with you. They are the best for handling things like the foil packets and corn cobs!

When you get to camp, start your fire/charcoal. Set up camp, greet the neighbors, relax a bit while your fire develops some nice coals. Set the grill over the coals to preheat. Oddly enough, the veggies take longer to cook than the meat, so nestle the corn or potatoes into the coals, set the foil packets on top of some, and give them 15 to 20 min. Shake the foil packets every now and then, and turn the corn or potatoes. If the foil starts to blacken, pull it to the edge where it will stay warm but not burn. When ready, take a paper towel with a bit of oil on it, hold it with the tongs, and wipe the grill with it. I also tend to spray both sides of the chicken with oil (AWAY FROM THE FIRE) to keep it from sticking. Put it on the grill and start cooking. When the chicken is cooked, carefully open your veggies up and either eat from the foil or dump on your plate, add the chicken and the carefully unwrapped corn, and eat up!

Need desert? Make a pie-iron pie! Bring pre-made pie crusts with you (Pilsbury, or go generic like I do), and the pie filling of your choice. Cut 2 squares out of the pie crusts and fit one to one side of the pie iron. Spoon some pie filling into the well. Cover with the other square. Clamp the pie iron closed, squishing the edges of the pie crust to seal. Cook over low coals until done. Alternatively, the pie crusts can be squished white bread (classic!), or biscuits-in-a-tube squished out and smushed together into a seamless sheet, or crescent roll sheets. A can of pressurized whipped cream finishes this off nicely, of course.

Oh, pack pancake batter in a Tovolo pancake pen http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003 ... d_i=507846, already made, dispenser end up, in your ice chest, if you are planning pancakes/waffles the morning after you arrive, or make the batter in camp and use the pen to dispense.

Oh, Oh, use baking spray with flour in it for bready things in pie irons (for example, http://smile.amazon.com/PAM-Baking-No-S ... king+spray, although buying this sort of thing online would be silly). It REALLY reduces sticking. I advise buying generic. Always use spray oils AWAY FROM THE FIRE.

Use baking parchment in your DOs for bready AND sticky things (biscuits, whole wheat bread, cinnamon buns, cakes, fruit crisps). Cut a round and use a pan or can just smaller than the interior to pre-fold the parchment into shape, trim just below the level of the oven so the lid still fits tightly. It makes clean-up easier, AND you can just pull your baked stuff out of the DO whole for serving.

I use an egg ring to make my breakfast eggs perfectly round. But I'm NOT OCD or anything like that. :lol: Actually, it helps corral the egg white when the camp stove is not level. I toast my bread on the griddle next to the cooking egg, or I make a matching-sized pancake.

Prefer poached eggs? Use silicon baking cups, lightly sprayed with oil, break the egg into the cup, nestle the cup into a skillet with about an inch of boiling water, and cover. Remember it will take longer than usual to poach the egg if you are camping at high altitude.

Finally, I learned my camping skills from my dad, who was first a backpacker. That man planned and planned and planned every meal so we all got enough calories to survive his mile-eating treks (every year we did part of the Continental Divide trail in Colorado, as well as other hikes that had become favorites over the years), but carried not a single extra ounce! We also camped in the tent top trailer my grandfather built, usually when driving to and from my dad's summer jobs (he was a college teacher, and took teaching jobs at "vacation" spots in the summers before he bought his farm), but my dad still planned the meals with great precision. We car camp, so I don't worry about every ounce, but I do try to think of everything. At home I prepare the meals, but the kids snack (A LOT) to fill up the empty legs. I have to remember the meals to cook, the cold meals, some fresh fruit, something salty, etc. Oh, and something to drink, in addition to water. They usually get juice and club soda as their treat, and I get boxed or bagged wine.
:wine:

Hope some of this helps.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby ae6black » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Tony I tried your chicken recipe. It was very good. I ll definately make it again.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:13 pm

ae6black wrote:Tony I tried your chicken recipe. It was very good. I ll definately make it again.

Art

:stompspam: :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:22 am

Hey, I remember many breakfasts served with Spam. My dad may have been a OCD backpacker, but when we camped in the trailer Spam was his go-to bacon replacement. Ahh, fond memories. (But when I tried Spam a few years ago, I found it WAY TOO salty.)

Catherine :D
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1