Super easy cobler question

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Super easy cobler question

Postby ae6black » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Twice I've made that super easy cobbler where you put the canned cherries or whatever in the bottom of a dutch oven. (Like Bob Henry's suggestion of using parchment paper to virtually eliminate cleanup issues) However, both times I've made it. Once with Bob Henry's volcano method of poking a hole in the cake mix and pouring Cherry Coke inside and another where I just put the cake mix on top of the fruit filling and sprinkling the coke uniformly on top of the whole batch. Both times I've gotten rock hard nuggets of cake mix clumping on top. Would it be better to just mix the soda all through the cake mix and then pour it on top of the fruit sitting in the pot or are the nuggets supposed to be gathering at the top for some kind of texture that goes with the recipe?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Super easy cobler question

Postby Olddog1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:42 pm

When I do peach cobblers I prepack the cake mix in a 1 gallon baggie. When ready to cook I pour the Sprite/ 7up in with the mix and squish and knead until well mixed. Normally doesn't take a whole bottle. Cut off one corner of the baggie and squeeze the cake mix into the parchment lined DO. Open a large can of peaches and cube right onto the top of the mix. Drizzle maybe 1/3 of the juice on top of everything. Add a few pats of butter and some cinnamon.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ae6black » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Now that I think about it, I never used the butter or margarine. Been cutting down on my fat intake and have just gotten used to not cooking with it or using it. Could that be where my nuggets came from?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby jonw » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:48 pm

I suspect the cake mix had lumps in it, probably from humidity. Try either first running it through a strainer or put it in a plastic bag and knead it will until all lumps have been broken up.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1