Cinnamon Rolls using only the stove top, no oven.

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby bktechflower » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:03 am

I wanted to make cinnamon rolls but I also keep my selection of cooking equipment minimal. I don't have a dutch oven. All I have is a cast iron pan and a stainless steel pot. I could not find anything online so I experimented. Typically the bottoms of the cinnamon rolls came out burnt. I also did not want to cook them in a fire as I don't usually have one going in the morning when I want the cinnamon rolls. Here is how it finally came to work.

-I use the standard store bought cinnamon rolls in a can. I know they aren't the best but they are convenient.
-I got some small terracotta containers. Mine were the ones that the creme brulee came in. You can find the creme brulee in the freeze section of many stores. Enjoy the creme brulee with someone special and then you have the terracotta containers that you need.
-Get out your cast iron pan and put it one the stove. Put it on the lowest heat possible.
-Take two of the uncooked rolls, unroll one of them and add it to the other making it a bigger roll so that it takes up most of the space of the terracotta container.
-Lightly coat the terracotta inside with butter and put the roll in it.
-Place the terracotta with roll in the middle of the cast iron pan and keep it on to the lowest heat possible.
-If you can get two of the containers in the pan then go for it.
-Place a little bit of water in the cast iron so that it will steam the roll and make it rise better.
-Put a lid on the pan and let it sit for about 6 min.
-Have the second terracotta container ready with a light coating of butter.
-Take the lid one off of the pan. The roll should be very puffed up. Pick it up and place the second terracotta container on top of it and flip it over so that the roll falls from the first container into the second container. What was the top will now be the bottom.
-Place the roll in the new container back into the cast iron pan and put the lid back on it.
-Set the timer for another 5 min then take it out, flip it out onto a plate and put your frosting on.
-It should be nice and very lite, puffy and yummy and a tiny bit golden brown.
ENJOY

Your times may need to vary a bit, either a little longer or shorter. Depending on how tall the side walls are of your cast iron pan, your lid, and how puffed up your rolls get they may end up touching your lid.

Please post any other successful ways you have found, or if you try my method how they came out for you.

Brian
bktechflower
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Cinnamon Rolls using only the stove top, no oven.

Postby lrrowe » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks Brian,
I am a dummy as I do. Ot know what creme' brulee is nor do I know what a terracotta container looks lik. But your receipe sounds interesting, so I going to give it to my wife as she is the expert in this area. Then I want her to try it. I will report on our results.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby bktechflower » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:39 pm

This is the creme brulee that I buy at Target.

http://www.target.com/p/archer-farms-creme-brulee-2ct/-/A-13274771

The terracota container is in the picture on the box. It is just a terracotta ramekin. Creme Brulee is that warm or cold pudding like desert with a melted sugar topping that you crack open with your spoon.

Brian
bktechflower
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:29 pm

bktechflower wrote:This is the creme brulee that I buy at Target.

http://www.target.com/p/archer-farms-creme-brulee-2ct/-/A-13274771

The terracota container is in the picture on the box. It is just a terracotta ramekin. Creme Brulee is that warm or cold pudding like desert with a melted sugar topping that you crack open with your spoon.

Brian

Thanks....I have seen that before, but do not recall ever trying it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Stop your making me crave cinnamon rolls.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby bktechflower » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:24 am

Here is a pic of how they turned out.

bktechflower
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:13 pm

How'd they taste?
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby bktechflower » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:31 am

They tasted great, just like I was hoping. Nice and lite and fluffy.
bktechflower
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:50 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442418608.784850.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442418608.784850.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1