White Beans and Sausage

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

White Beans and Sausage

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:53 am

Felixx inspired me. I got this from a grocery store circular, although I can never cook a recipe the way I find it. I was trying out a new-to-me vintage cast iron skillet with this one, and I can easily see myself cooking it in camp. I use a squeeze tube of tomato paste for ease of storage, and often use a squeeze of anchovy paste from a similar tube to add depth of flavor.

My kids gave this the thumbs-up :thumbsup: and told me it definitely goes into the menu rotation. :D

White Beans in Herbed Tomato Sauce with Sausages
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
4 sweet Italian sausages
2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 15-oz can Italian diced tomatoes
1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
1 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained
salt and pepper
Instructions
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Fry sausages until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes per side. Add remaining oil, garlic and tomato paste and heat 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes and juice and red pepper flakes, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add beans and season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer, occasionally stirring gently, taking care not to break up the beans, until sausage is cooked and sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes.
Serve with bread.
Nutritional Information
Serving Size: 1 servings. Amount per Serving: Calories 343; Calories from Fat 154.6; Total Fat 17.18g; Saturated Fat 298.95g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 1302.88mg; Total Carbohydrate 21.29g; Dietary Fiber 5.95g; Sugars 4.63g; Protein 22.77g.
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Re: White Beans and Sausage

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:34 am

Mom tested, kid approved....what could be better :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing, Catherine. This would be a great recipe for my Super Simple Skillet Suppers on OCIC.
Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Re: White Beans and Sausage

Postby felixx » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:43 pm

Awesome work!
It is all about keeping it simple

btw summer is coming for me so lots of recipes to come
felixx
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1