The Secret to Grilled Tri Tip.

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

The Secret to Grilled Tri Tip.

Postby Andymanout » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:18 am

Friends I am a bit of a foodie. I tried to master Tri-tip for years. What I found is that it is much simpler than most people think. The most important consideration is your taste. In other words you're going to like either a smoky, spicy or roasted flavor and most of that flavor is achieved with spices. Now let's get down to how simple this is.

Here is the cooking secret that no one will tell you about, This is going to sound a little odd but bare with me. 450-15-15-15-3-3-30

When picking your Tri-tip look for an even marbling throughout. Those lines are the fat in the meat. Don't fear the fat! We will be cooking it out of the meat. This is called rendering. It makes the meat tender and very tasty. You can get away with a little sea salt rubbed into your roast. However, you would be well served to choose your seasoning. There are a multitude of seasonings at your local big box store. Look for a seasoning called porter house by Weber or Montreal Steak seasoning or any other flavor you like. Liberally rub the seasoning into the Tri-tip. Leave no surface uncovered with spice. Then let it set in you cooler for at least an hour. Overnight is best.

A four pound Tri-tip will need to be cooked indirectly for most of the time on the grill. Heat up a gas or charcoal grill to 450 or simply put, get that thing cranked up! Make sure it's hot, and you have a cool side to the grill by placing the charcoal to one side of the grill or only lighting one of your two burners etc..., Then place you roast over the cool side of the grill and close the lid. If your lookin you ain't cookin. Leave it in there for 15 minutes. Then and only then flip the Tri-tip over remaining on the cool side and go for another 15 minutes. Once again flip it and let it cook for fifteen more. Now open the grill up and cook your Tri-tip over the open flame turning it every 3 minute for two more flips. Once a good char color is added to the tri tip your almost done.

Take the Tri-tip off the grill and wrap it in about three feet of foil then wrap that in a towel and set aside for 30 minutes. Don't rush this process.The juices in the meat at this point are convecting or flowing freely through the meat. You want this process to stop and the only way is to let the meat rest. You can tell when this process is interrupted when someone cuts into a steak or roast and all the juices flow out. You want those juices in your meat not on your plate.

Now this is the most important thing I can teach you serving beef. Cut against the grain. Look at your glistening grilled masterpiece. It will a grain in the meat. Just like a Woody! slice your Tri-tip in half to facilitate even slices. Slice your Tri-tip with a very sharp carving knife. Cutting at a slight angle against the grain.

Serve with potato bombs and grilled tomatoes for a meal you won't soon forget. Here is to you finding your inner master griller!

Andyman Out!
"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." I'm gonna do it in a teardrop.
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1