Registering a trailer so old that it does not have a title

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

Registering a trailer so old that it does not have a title

Postby Adirondackersouth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:08 pm

If I am starting a new topic great if there is an old topic that can answer this obviously pressing issue. I purchased an old Cox pop-up trailer bed from a guy who sold it to me as is with a bill of sale, no title. I did some research on the trailer and I believe it to be built around 1965, and because its so old it may have never had a title anyway. Now it does have plates. I am trying to figure out what the best course of action to take.

While reading these forums for over a year now I have heard of folks making a teardrop and registering it in Maine even though they live in another state. Apparently Maine does not require a title to register old campers. If this is true then how would I insure it and license it in Maine if I do not live there?

To many of you this is probably academic but to me the newbie, I am dumbfounded and curious and need to resolve the situation.

Any advice out there

Cheers :beer:
David Medici
Mechanicsville, Virginia 23116
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Re: Registering a trailer so old that it does not have a tit

Postby Padilen » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 pm

I'm in Michigan. Say it's home built, get it weighed. Give weight slip and $ to S.S of S. And 10 days you have a title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Adirondackersouth » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:05 am

Padilen wrote:I'm in Michigan. Say it's home built, get it weighed. Give weight slip and $ to S.S of S. And 10 days you have a title.

8) That sounds so simple Padilen for you guys in Michigan. When you weighted your trailer, did you had to have it licensed and insured before you could bring it to be weighed?

I just found this document for the State of Virginia https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa22.pdf

It says that if its homemade the fee is $5.00

Thank you for sharing your experience.

David
Ashland, VA
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:44 am

I only did a popup to a utility trailer. But usually it's 10$ + at scale to be weighed and I think 10$ for the title. No insurance on trailers it's the TV that is.
You are allowed to haul "new" to you, to scale to get weighed. Can't get plates without a title and you can't get a title without some form of documents. While it's a possibility that you maybe asked- for build receipts, for materials & a explanation of how /what you did. I had all my materials so that's what I said. If the trailer is over a certain size and or weight there are other rules.
Ok here link, I looked it up since my internet is working.
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-12 ... --,00.html

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Adirondackersouth » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:33 am

Padilen wrote:I only did a popup to a utility trailer. But usually it's 10$ + at scale to be weighed and I think 10$ for the title. No insurance on trailers it's the TV that is.
You are allowed to haul "new" to you, to scale to get weighed. Can't get plates without a title and you can't get a title without some form of documents. While it's a possibility that you maybe asked- for build receipts, for materials & a explanation of how /what you did. I had all my materials so that's what I said. If the trailer is over a certain size and or weight there are other rules.
Ok here link, I looked it up since my internet is working.
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-12 ... --,00.html

Hey thats great information. Hopefully others can use it. Now you have me rethinking selling the trailer I just bought.

Last edited by Adirondackersouth on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Medici
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Return to For Sale/Wanted