Wanted in Texas

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

Wanted in Texas

Postby alambamaslamma » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:50 am

Looking for a vehicle to take camping and to burn events, including the drive out to the desert in Nevada from Dallas.
We would love a teardrop trailer in decent shape. We don't have a lot of money to invest though.
We're willing to deck out the inside, so interior condition is not as important.

Thanks
alambamaslamma
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:48 pm

'Bama, welcome to the site, wish you luck in your quest and hope someone hools you up...looking forward to you showing us some pics of what you do get(even a tent) and some of pics of your trip to Burningman...we really do luv da pics around here...by the way, you should consider building if you are onna budget, you are looking at 2 to four grand to get into a usable tear
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Wanted in Texas

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:06 pm

Hey AL,

Welcome to the forum, you got my attention with a couple or three things in your 1st post.
1. You're wanted in Texas? Is there a reeward?
2. Are you still in the slamma in Alabama? If so ya need anything to pass the time? Files/hacksaw blades, that kind of stuff.
3. Please tell the folks what an Alabamaslamma is. Think I drank a few of those once.

Don't mean to offend but I usually do. :D

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby tupelosue » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:33 pm

Hey alabammaslamma!!!

welcome to the forum!! hope you can find a little tear to bring to burningman. there may be a small gathering of teardrops there. just watch the board closer to the time and i'll post details (if there are any...)

8) 8) 8)
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby PapaDave » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:20 am

alambamaslamma wrote:Looking for a vehicle to take camping and to burn events, including the drive out to the desert in Nevada from Dallas.
We would love a teardrop trailer in decent shape. We don't have a lot of money to invest though.
We're willing to deck out the inside, so interior condition is not as important.

Thanks

I build a teardrop un-finished that we call "raw"--you have to stain/varnish inside and out, install your own galley counter etc. and cabin cabinets/shelves. Floor is plywood--you lay carpet or vinyl. Comes without windows or roof vent but we tell you where to get those and how to install. See more at www.bigwoodycampers.com
PapaDave
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:58 pm

Hey PapaDave,

Do you build 5Ft wide ones in the U-finish model and how long does it take for completion once the order is placed :)
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:57 pm

Price: $3695 - At that price, I'd build you a 5 wide shell on a HF frame. Talk about making money on nothing. For what is provided, it should only cost about $600 max and that includes the HF frame. :o
You can get a complete kit from the Teardrop Fix-it-shop for probably less than $2000. All you have to do is put it together.

Check
HERE

Have a good day.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:06 pm

Gage,

Am I understanding this right, for $2,000.00 you can get a full complete kit with all the hinges, molding, etc. and all you have to do is put it together?

No frills I understand, that has to be done by the buyer.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:57 pm

PresTx82 wrote:Gage,
Am I understanding this right, for $2,000.00 you can get a full complete kit with all the hinges, molding, etc. and all you have to do is put it together?
No frills I understand, that has to be done by the buyer.

Pretty damn close. The wood kit for the 'Kit' type teardrop is $1250 and the wood kit for the 'Kenskill' is $1970. Then you have to buy all the moldings, alum sht and frame. I know this gal who built up one of George's Kenskill kits and it turned out great. You can't hardly tell the difference between a real Kenskill and the finished kit teardrop.

Check him out. His home page is at:
http://www.teardropparts.com/index.htm
Teardrop Fix-It-Shop
Parts, Service & Sales
(406) 642-9835
email: [email protected]

Have a good day. Oh, and I have nothing to do with the Teardrop Fix-it-shop. Just friends with George and I think he put a pretty good kit together if that's the way you would like to go.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:00 pm

Gage, those prices aren't to bad at all! Even individual pieces aren't bad either.
Thanks for the link.
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby kurtibm » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:19 pm

alambamaslamma wrote:Looking for a vehicle to take camping and to burn events, including the drive out to the desert in Nevada from Dallas.

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tear-Drop-Trailer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66470QQitemZ4614108513QQrdZ1
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby PapaDave » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:20 am

Todah Tear wrote:Hey PapaDave,

Do you build 5Ft wide ones in the U-finish model and how long does it take for completion once the order is placed :)

No, I don't make a 5' model, just the 4x8. Time from order to delivery is 3-4 weeks. Some on this forum think $3695 is out of line, but materials cost me a LOT more than $600 (more like $2000) and then there is overheand like shop rent, utilities, insurance and of course, labor. I build these for folks who either can't or don't want to build their own. I also have a "raw" model--no stain or finish on any surface, you supply windows and roof vent and all details. This is like a kit that has been assembled but not finished and it goes for $2700. compare that to unassembled kit prices and you'll see that the so-called profit pays rent and labor at minimum wage. Any questions, holler at my email.
PapaDave
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gage » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:06 pm

PapaDave wrote:<snip>
Some on this forum think $3695 is out of line, but materials cost me a LOT more than $600 (more like $2000) and then there is overheand like shop rent, utilities, insurance and of course, labor.
<snip>

Aw to have a shop with all that overhead. Not to be shooting you down Dave, But if I go out to buy a teardrop, I look for the best deal at the best price. And overhead hurts. That's why a lot of the big boys don't sale super bacic, because the cost is to high to meet the overhead. The main product that shows the craftsmanship is the money maker.

And like that, with
alambamaslamma being a newbe, just letting him know the options that are out there. There are to many out there right now that think that they just have to have a teardrop now and get screwed getting one. And like that, there are better deals out there, as for your bare bones teardrop. Just my opinion.

So PapaDave, a good mfg will take the criticism and try and improve on it instead of getting upset.

Have a good day.
8)
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to For Sale/Wanted