4x8 teardrop kit

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

4x8 teardrop kit

Postby dsherburn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Spring Lake Small Craft builds small stitch and glue boat kits with fiberglass and epoxy. We have some time so we designed and are building a proto-type teardrop. This teardrop is a very light weight, extremely basic shell. An alternative to tent camping, it gets you off the ground and protects you from the weather. No where near as deluxe as some of the builds here, but it does fit a niche.

The kit consists of light weight plywood CNC cut and notched/tabbed for quick and accurate assembly. It is designed to be coated with epoxy and covered with 6 oz. fiberglass cloth for strength while maintaining a light weight. Basically, a monocoque construction technique. 1/2" floor with a dado joint all round. The CNC machined sides fit in the joints. The top is kerfed to allow for bending and is notched and tabbed to fit in the sides.

The kit is the machined floor, the sides and roof pieces and interior shelfing. The design does have two doors and a rear lift door. Target price is around $300 plus freight from West Michigan. Designed to mount on a user supplied HF 4x8 trailer.

More details and pictures at http://www.slsmallcraft.com or email [email protected]
Attachments
IMG_5636.JPG
IMG_5636.JPG (481.41 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
dsherburn
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 4x8 teardrop kit

Postby greygoos » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:17 am

Location?
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby dsherburn » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Spring Lake Michigan near Grand Haven, MI
dsherburn
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 4x8 teardrop kit $300

Postby dsherburn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:08 pm

It looks like we can provide the basic kit for $300. Email [email protected] for details or see pictures at www.slsmallcraft.com Stitch and Glue epoxy and fiberglass construction similar to our boat kits. Light weight shell...alternative to tent camping. Uses a HF trailer or equivalent.
dsherburn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Looks like a good option for those wanting this style of construction but do not have the budget for a CLC teardrop. I have 4k in my CLC and when I tell some people that, they think that is too much. I would be curious to see how much people end up spending to complete this kit.

BTW, I did a budget minded interior covering in mine that would work great in this. Check out my build thread on the CLC if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby friz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:43 pm

A break down of material costs to complete would help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby dsherburn » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Sorry for the late reply...I had some boat orders to get out. It looks it will be closer to $400 for the CNC cut plywood kit due to some extra cuts/materials on the doors. My guess is that it will be an additional $300-$400 for epoxy and fiberglass cloth and tape. Having said that, the CLC kit is much more deluxe than what I'm proposing here. I wouldn't worry about the $4K price tag for the CLC as if the kit is done right the value of the completed trailer should be worth it.

I'm proposing a more straight forward, simple design as an alternative to a tent when attending events like Oshkosh or Road America.
Dan
dsherburn
Teardrop Inspector

Return to For Sale/Wanted