Camping near Kingston - Joyceville??

Camping in Ontario & Quebec and the Central Canadian Chapter of TearJerkers

Camping near Kingston - Joyceville??

Postby jawbone » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:02 pm

Hey Gang - I'm thinking of taking in the Border Collie Trials Aug. 7, 8 & 9 in the Joyceville area - any good, short notice camping near there?
Blues, The Whole Blues and Nuthin' But the Blues
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:51 pm

google joyceville canada camping and you will find what you want... I went to the Kingston trial run by Amanda Milliken a couple of years back.... I've never seen so many spectators...... and great trial.

I help judge trials and I highly recommend the canadian trio, where 3 trials are held in one week.... would love to go this year, but am just moving in and mentally overtaxed.

If you are from the states, the nationals will, again, be held in the east, in Middletown, VA, which I will help out with.... at the Canadian or USA nationals, you will see the best of the best, but Canada trials are great to attend.... have fun. Wish I was there.

visit here for the whole list in the usa... http://www.usbcha.com/upcomingtrials.htm
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: Camping near Kingston - Joyceville??

Postby HABSFAN2006 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:07 pm

jawbone wrote:Hey Gang - I'm thinking of taking in the Border Collie Trials Aug. 7, 8 & 9 in the Joyceville area - any good, short notice camping near there?

you could try http://www.rideauacres.com/directions.html
have booked there on short notice, nice place, with large lots,
some by the water
:thumbsup:

I love border collies, but decided to raise an English Springer Spaniel.
these are two, very smart, high energy dogs !!

Have fun...
Life is an experience... Learn from it!

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... er_id=9012
HABSFAN2006
Teardrop Inspector

Postby xrover » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:24 pm

Depends on how close you need to be, but Sharbot Lake is north of there, about 30 minutes.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:07 am

Rideauacres is where I stayed when I went to the Kingston trial. I got a discount because of good sam club, so you might want to ask them up front about it. I would rank it about average. It does have a nice little lake with an island you can wade to, so if it is hot (and it was brutal during the day when we were there), that is a nice touch.

Not sure how far it is from Joyceville, but it was close to grass creek park where that trial was held, about 8 miles.

Note:if you are going to a trial, you need to bring a chair. Also, in the summer, one of those beach umbrellas that you stick in the ground is very nice. I made a pounder out of a piece of elec. conduit that I make the hole with (using a rubber mallet), then put the umbrella into the hole, as the umbrellas are made for putting into sand and bend easily when trying to push them into hard soil.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby jawbone » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanx guys - this gives me something to chew on - Hey Arne, was it a huge mass of people at the Kingston trials? I'm thinking of checking out a smaller one at Peterborough.
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:57 pm

The crowd at grass creek was very noticeable, but livable (next to the national, the biggest crowd I've seen at a trial). There is a berm along the edge of the trial field that gave a great view and it was chair to chair all along the berm.... great venue.

for me, any sheep dog trial is a good sheep dog trial... even the smaller trials have their charms..... I've done small farm trials and the national, and had fun at every one of them.... the dogs are great.. and the people friendly.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby SlyTerry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Hey Jawbone,
There are four penitenturies in Kingston Area with large front lawns. Im sure it you played your harps for them they would let you stay for the night. Just look sad and post some signs about cruelty to Public Service Employees :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If you get busted just call and I will adopt Brenda, :) then use the last of my last credit card to bail you out,son :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Been a long day....If your at Peterborough or Kingston and need a place to crash just call, you and Brenda are always welcome and the dogs too. Just dont tell Micro469 where the Bat Cave is.
SlyTerry
Teardrop Master

Postby jawbone » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanx, but I'm still tryin' to figure out why these Border Collies are on trial in the first place!!! :lol: :thinking: :shock:
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby SlyTerry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Because they are smart. :ok: The only thing that beats being smarter than your dog is owning him...... ;)
SlyTerry
Teardrop Master

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 pm

SlyTerry wrote:Hey Jawbone,
There are four penitenturies in Kingston Area with large front lawns. Im sure it you played your harps for them they would let you stay for the night. Just look sad and post some signs about cruelty to Public Service Employees :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If you get busted just call and I will adopt Brenda, :) then use the last of my last credit card to bail you out,son :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Been a long day....If your at Peterborough or Kingston and need a place to crash just call, you and Brenda are always welcome and the dogs too. Just dont tell Micro469 where the Bat Cave is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Arne » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:25 am

The sheep are on trial, and the border collies are the cops telling where they should be going... and the judges tell the handlers how well they and their dogs have done their job.

At the end of each handler/dog run, the sheep are lead to the 'exhaust chute' by another border collie sent out to collect them. At the end of the exhaust chute it 'the pen'...... trial over, they do their time, usually under a large shade tree, munching grass.

The dog that did the trial run is usually over heated and there is a tub of water that they jump in and cool off.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby SlyTerry » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Amazing stuff really, I cant even get two humans to agree what colour the car was that we just bought. And now you tell me that dogs, sheep and judges all speak the same language..... :cry: :cry: :cry: QUICK BEAM ME UP BEFORE ITS TOOOOOOOOO LAAAAAAAAAATE :lol: :lol:
SlyTerry
Teardrop Master

Return to Ontario & Quebec, Canada