BOOKING IN ADVANCE?

Camping in Ontario & Quebec and the Central Canadian Chapter of TearJerkers

BOOKING IN ADVANCE?

Postby demtears » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Hello all! well I don't really want to say this but here in Southern Ontario summer will be slowly fading into fall colours and wished I could have gotten more camping in then we did. It seemed when we did have the chance to go camping it (A) was rainy and cold or (B) seemed that the Provincial parks in my area where already booked up. The majority of my camping is leaving work at 5.00 o'clock on a Friday and being able to drive 1 to 2 hours away from home to spend a weekend from the hype of home at a nice Provincial park! Where have the days gone, when are parents loaded us up in the car on that Friday to drive to pretty much any Provincial park pay the park dues drive around the park to find the site of their choice and enjoy the weekend. Well I have notice an increase over the years to the point that I need to book a site sometimes months before. Are others experiencing the increase in camping population or is it just my geographic location.

How long do you need to book at your favorite site?

What is your choice of alternate camping (Conservation area, privately owned?)

Any nice Provincial parks or Conservation area's you would recommend that seems to not have a waiting list?

Thanks
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Darrin,

Out here in southern California I almost always make reservations.
Some places like Yosemite, Sequoia and to central coast I would not even bother to go without a reservation. I would hate the thought of driving 4 or more hours only to find out all campgrounds are full. But right now I still have to camp in a tent. Once the teardrop is done, it may change. All of a sudden it makes it a lot easier to find a quite spot on the side of the road for a night and try again the next day to get a proper spot.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Where in Ontario?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby demtears » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Where in Ontario?

Located Sarnia, Ontario. Sarnia borders Port Huron MI.
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:37 pm

If we know where we are going to be, we'll book in advance. It just makes things so much easier...

When we are winging it we'll use the cell phone in the car and call ahead, until we find someone with an opening... We have a campground directory that we take with us...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:45 pm

Wolfgang92025 wrote:Darrin,

Out here in southern California I almost always make reservations.
Some places like Yosemite, Sequoia and to central coast I would not even bother to go without a reservation. I would hate the thought of driving 4 or more hours only to find out all campgrounds are full.

Wolfgang

Yeah you know it. It's a whole different game in Cali. Campgrounds book up SIX MONTHS in advance. I like staying on the ocean in Carlsbad SP and the only way you can get a site without booking it far in advance is to be ultra quick on your computer for the split second a cancellation shows an availability.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Here, in California, popular state and national campgrounds require reservations. Other more primitive (no showers, etc.) campgrounds are first come, first served. There are a lot of those, many within a few miles of each other. I have a book that contains most California campgrounds; but, if I were going someplace that I wasn't familiar with, either in California or some other area, I would call ahead and ask the rangers' advice and/or get reservations. A lot of times, the rangers will even tell you which individual campsites are the best to camp in. The Internet can be extremely helpful, also.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby demtears » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 pm

What I seem to have noticed as time goes by the need to book further in advance increases. We started calling and booking are camping outings about ten years ago after being stuck without a camp site. we ended up sleeping in a church parking lot where we just slept in the car, at that time we where just tent campers and I believe the church wouldn't have appreciated a tent in the middle of the parking lot. Are provincial parks probably like State parks always had a percentage of sites as non reserve for travelers that are stuck and is the luck of the draw if you where able to get one or not. Guess there is always Wal- mart :roll: [/u]
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby jawbone » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:21 pm

I know where you coming from Dem - I'm not big on long range planning myself - I think the Prov. Parks are supposed to keep a number of sites available for walk-in but I think they go fast. You may have better luck after school is in. I don't think Conservation Areas are quite as busy.
Blues, The Whole Blues and Nuthin' But the Blues
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby demtears » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:31 pm

jawbone wrote:I know where you coming from Dem - I'm not big on long range planning myself - I think the Prov. Parks are supposed to keep a number of sites available for walk-in but I think they go fast. You may have better luck after school is in. I don't think Conservation Areas are quite as busy.

By far some of the best camping is when school is in. We really enjoy fall camping and are looking forward to the season. :thumbsup:
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Demtears wrote:
What I seem to have noticed as time goes by the need to book further in advance increases. We started calling and booking are camping outings about ten years ago after being stuck without a camp site. we ended up sleeping in a church parking lot where we just slept in the car, at that time we where just tent campers and I believe the church wouldn't have appreciated a tent in the middle of the parking lot. Are provincial parks probably like State parks always had a percentage of sites as non reserve for travelers that are stuck and is the luck of the draw if you where able to get one or not. Guess there is always Wal- mart

I noticed that the Calif. State parks have handicapped sites that they must leave open; but, if no handicapped camper camps there by a certain hour (not sure....4:30PM?) you can rent the spot for the night. But, you have to be gone the next morning. Also, in California, I think a self-contained RVer is still allowed to spend the night at a CA State picnic/day-park as long as they are gone by 8:00 AM the next day.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby demtears » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:20 am

S. Heisley wrote:Demtears wrote:
What I seem to have noticed as time goes by the need to book further in advance increases. We started calling and booking are camping outings about ten years ago after being stuck without a camp site. we ended up sleeping in a church parking lot where we just slept in the car, at that time we where just tent campers and I believe the church wouldn't have appreciated a tent in the middle of the parking lot. Are provincial parks probably like State parks always had a percentage of sites as non reserve for travelers that are stuck and is the luck of the draw if you where able to get one or not. Guess there is always Wal- mart

I noticed that the Calif. State parks have handicapped sites that they must leave open; but, if no handicapped camper camps there by a certain hour (not sure....4:30PM?) you can rent the spot for the night. But, you have to be gone the next morning. Also, in California, I think a self-contained RVer is still allowed to spend the night at a CA State picnic/day-park as long as they are gone by 8:00 AM the next day.

Don't know about rules and regulations regarding handicap sites I would imagine if there where handicapped sites and like you said not reserved by a certain time it could be offered. As far as using day picnic areas in Ontario I would say it is not permitted to camp overnight, on a return camping trip after making a few stops at motels and other camp parks we made a stop as everyone from my camping party was dead tired from canoeing interior in Algonquin park, One of Ontarios largest national park. We stopped at a day picnic area en-route home, and the Ontario Provincial police knocked on the van window and explained we couldn't park and sleep. I explained at the time the situation and was not fit to drive due to being overtired and was concerned about the safety of us and other drivers if i was forced to continue driving. He requested that I sleep a bit and as soon as I felt fit continue on my way so I would say no.
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 am

off-season, I don't worry about reserving a site. Also on-season (july/august), I don't usually reserve if it is during the week, but do on weekends.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Ontario & Quebec, Canada