Spring Plans 2013

Camping in Ontario & Quebec and the Central Canadian Chapter of TearJerkers

Spring Plans 2013

Postby whitby guy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Winter is trying to settle in now...the parks are starting to take reservations. Anyone thinking of early spring camping yet? (other than me?)
Near North in early May before the wee beasties come out...I can almost smell the camp fire now

This is a call out for favourites or recommendations...give me some ideas of where you've been or want to go.
nothing is foolproof..to a sufficiently talented fool
If everything is under control, you're not driving fast enough
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Re: Spring Plans 2013

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:06 pm

We will be headed for Lake Superior Provincial Park some time next summer, I am already looking at which camp sites at Agaway Bay. Many of the considerations that went into our tear were with this in mind. My daughter wants to spend a couple of days with us maybe with the two year old twins. She was the one that most loved Agawa Bay and canoeing the many lakes.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby whitby guy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:23 pm

That's a long drive for both of us. I was thinking of something closer to home as a bit of a warm up to the summer. Something like Six Mile Lake or Awenda, maybe Silent Lake or Bon Echo...
Anyone done bookings yet?

There're our provincial parks. With the way the government is working around here, if we don't use 'em we'll loose 'em.
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby whitby guy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:28 pm

O.K. I'll break the ice (tongue firmly in cheek). Booked into Charleston Lake P.P. for Friday May 10 site 305 for two nights.
It's opening weekend for most provincial parks, and I'm hoping the ice will be off the lake by then. Lots of kayaking potential here. Sites with power are available for heaters, if that's whats holding you back.
As always, standing invite to all for pot luck Saturday night if you care to join in. Sufficient interest includes cake...

Remember, this is pre mosquito season in Ontario...that's important.
Not sure if alcohol ban is in effect, but anything taken from a Timmys cup looks like coffee, right? :roll:
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby 1firefly » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:15 am

Hi there I mark it done in my camping calender there are so many trips come up it is hard to choose from and some that have not been posted yet. alot of them are soooo far away. alot of big gathering in 2013 tear up adk in june/ rolling home aug/ crossroad july. I have book tear over niagara four mile creek s.p. are you think of going to that one? I hope we will get to see each other again (no gathering yet for ont??? )
:ilovecamp:
Last edited by 1firefly on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1firefly
Teardrop Builder

Postby whitby guy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:32 am

Hi T. How are you doing?
I agree there seems to be lots of cool events that are just too far away for a weekend camping trip.
I've looked at the Niagara event, still undecided (my family is from the Ontario side and it seems like camping in the backyard). ADK is one I'll ask time off work for, haven't been for a couple of years and it's always a nice spot to visit (Lake Placid is beautiful any time of year). Patrick says he will announce a Central Canada Tearjerker gathering soon, so I'll keep the calendar open for that one.
I've been trying to get out for opening season in the parks as I truly feel that with service cutbacks from the government they are targets for "cost cutting". Without support from campers using the parks I'm afraid the logic might be to quietly close down the less used places and then it will be hard to ever get them open again. Trying to get out and see a few of them while I still can. JMO, or maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety.

Sandy
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby 1firefly » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:24 am

adk is beautiful my first time last year love the lake. it has become one of my favorite along with letchworth sp. / watkins glen sp/ pinery p.p./ killbear p.p for charleston lake will you be doing a stop over for one night or do you just drive thought.
charleston lake Provincial Park
100930 100931
1firefly
Teardrop Builder

Postby GlamperGirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Happy New Year to all ... thanks for the spring plans, Sandy ... I'll check with MountainBiker and see if he wants to give it a go - definitely be wanting an electric site!

Maureen
"Not all who wander are lost."
J.R.R. Tolkien
GlamperGirl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby whitby guy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm

1firefly wrote:adk is beautiful my first time last year love the lake. it has become one of my favorite along with letchworth sp. / watkins glen sp/ pinery p.p./ killbear p.p for charleston lake will you be doing a stop over for one night or do you just drive thought.
charleston lake Provincial Park
100930 100931

Hi T. Those are some great places for sure. Letchworth in the fall is pretty cool. Would like to try Watkins Glen (maybe during the vintage car racing).
As for Charleston Lake, it's only three hours from Whitby so I'll be going up Friday morning (trying to talk my daughter and her boyfriend into joining in). Should be a quick trip up the 401 for me.
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby whitby guy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 pm

GlamperGirl wrote:Happy New Year to all ... thanks for the spring plans, Sandy ... I'll check with MountainBiker and see if he wants to give it a go - definitely be wanting an electric site!

Maureen

Hey Maureen.
Be glad to see you and mountain biker again.
The electric site would be for a heater, right? Not a slow cooker or some type of oven, right? This competitive campfire cooking has got me kinda worried. Tamara's got cast iron...could be a cook off brewin'.
Hope you guys can make it...might shake some of the other lurkers out of the bushes.

Sandy
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby GlamperGirl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:34 pm

whitby guy wrote:Hey Maureen.
Be glad to see you and mountain biker again.
The electric site would be for a heater, right? Not a slow cooker or some type of oven, right? This competitive campfire cooking has got me kinda worried. Tamara's got cast iron...could be a cook off brewin'.
Hope you guys can make it...might shake some of the other lurkers out of the bushes.

Sandy

Ha! Ha! - no, no worries, Sandy. The electric would purely be for a heater. I'm still trying to learn the nuances of cooking on my Cobb charcoal bbq - last year's brownies were done on it (we like to keep things fair, after all :D )
Mind you, Brenda bringing the crock pot sure was a great idea ... Hey, Jawbone, are you out there? And John? Wake up! We're all dreaming of spring camping - hope we can all meet up again.

Sandy, how long of a drive from Burlington? Around 4 hours?
J.R.R. Tolkien
GlamperGirl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby whitby guy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi Maureen.
Google maps says just under three hours from Whitby, so I would think four hours should about cover it. Lot depends on the traffic through Toronto.

Sandy
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby GlamperGirl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 am

Hey Sandy - yeah, I checked last night on google and its looking to be around 4 hours. If we come up we will likely book the day off from work in order to come across Toronto so as to avoid the grid-lock on the Friday.
J.R.R. Tolkien
GlamperGirl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 1firefly » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 pm

jawbone and john & the other will soon be wakeing up and wondering camping or what for supper
1firefly
Teardrop Builder

Postby jawbone » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Hey!!!! Who got a picture of me before I've had coffee!!??!!! :o
Blues, The Whole Blues and Nuthin' But the Blues
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Ontario & Quebec, Canada