Quick introduction & Help with TD design!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Quick introduction & Help with TD design!

Postby FIREBALL05 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Hello all, I've been speaking with the frame/chassis maker (Adventure Trailers) to figure out the size of the chassis. Looks like total length would be ~193": 120" cabin, ~19" of storage space b/w the front of the cabin and the tongue box, then tongue box and then 18" extension before the max coupler.

I've moved the stove to the first shelf just below the c-top. It will be at about 41"H, which is probably just a touch higher than ideal but not terrible. The drop down table on the driver side of the cabin will be at ~42-44" depending on the height of the air bag suspension. For longer stops where we are camped for a night or two I can drop the bags all the way down so the trailer is as low as possible. I should be able to tuck a 5# propane bottle on the driver side as well.

Because of the axle and fender placement, the cabin doors aren't quite as far back as I'd like. Ideally these would be at about the midpoint of the bed, this would make getting in and out of bed easier, and likely allow for access to the footwell cabinetry without climbing the whole way into the cabin. Oh well, can't have everything!

I'm still debating on where or not to go with the integrated 19 gal water tank in the frame.

Any other thoughts opinions or ideas are greatly welcomed!!!

FIREBALL05
Teardrop Builder

Postby DMcCam » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Fireball05,

Your design looks very cool. It's a great idea to work out everything in plan form. Ergonomics are a huge consideration with these little trailers. I have a few thoughts to throw your way.

Your galley counter is sitting at almost 4'. That's really high for ease of use as standard counters sit around 36". I know it's a difficult balance for an off road TD between height and functionality. You don't have much food storage in the galley. You might consider continuing your cabinets over where you currently have a Jerry can. By using a more square plastic water container you'd have space for the extra food storage cabinet.

I imagine that your planning on some sort of hand grab to make closing your hatch easier for a short person (your open hatch sits at almost 81")?

Your door openings look to be about 32" from the ground. That's a pretty high seat height for most people so I can see why the Mobey trailer has a foot step. It couldn't hurt marital bliss.

I'm a big fan of mock ups. If you can get some large sheets of cardboard, you might think about making a rough galley layout and set up rough working height surfaces to make sure they will work for you and your wife. If there's any trepidation about the layouts, you can alter them easily in cardboard.

Just a few idea to consider.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Unless you are both 7 feet tall this galley design is going to be a nightmare. It is just too damn tall for comfortable work. Perhaps you might entertain attaching your outboard counters extending from the side outward instead of forward.Image

This allows you to drop them to a more workable height. It also gets them out of your way when entering the trailer side doors. By adding a second on the other side this would also get the cooking odors outside of the galley proper. Perhaps if you were to build short cubbies under the galley countertop this would allow you to drop the central countertop to a more user friendly height also. This gives you and yours a well ventilated cooking area, a prep area in the center, and a cleanup area where a few spills and splashed water is easily taken care of by mother nature.Image

My little 4x7 is without a galley at all and it serves me well to prep , cook and cleanup great meals. Mine are removable and stack in a 2' x 3' by 6" tall cube inside during transit.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Bobhenry,
That crutch makes a great support leg. I am going to have to head to the Goodwill store to look for some. An older wooden one would be nice.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:06 pm

lrrowe wrote:Bobhenry,
That crutch makes a great support leg. I am going to have to head to the Goodwill store to look for some. An older wooden one would be nice.

One quick note...... The old style wooden crutch must be disassembled and bolts placed in different holes to change heights the aluminum ones are just a push button adjustment.

And yes you do use them more than you would think not all camp sites are pool table level. If you study the pics you will see they were extended about a foot while in use but in transport mode they are shoved in to compact the units as much as possible.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:35 pm

I appreciate that tip.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby FIREBALL05 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:38 pm

Hello all, thanks for the thoughts on the galley height. After some consideration I think we will leave the fridge where it is, choose a new water jug for the lower center position and have a tiered countertop.

Imageben TD - DR quarter3 by fireball05, on Flickr

As drawn now, the top of the stove is at 38" and the ctop is at 40". This is at normal airbag suspension height, it can be lowered another 2-2.5" when parked for a longer period, which puts the ctop at 38" which is going to be great. 2" higher than a standard kitchen countertop.

Image2014-08-30_20-07-52 by fireball05, on Flickr

The final galley decision is what to do with the deep space above the fridge. I placed the "bulkhead" wall b/w the cabin and galley to accomodate a 80"L queen size mattress. This leaves ~37" of depth for some cabinets on the right side of the galley. This is a bit awkwardly deep so I'm not sure how to use this. The fridge is 33"deep, so that leaves 4" behind the fridge for some wiring and free air for circulation.

Imagegalley dimensions by fireball05, on Flickr

Any thoughts on what to do above the fridge?

Also, I'd really like to move the propane to the other side so that the table area isn't so cluttered, but I need to keep it there for an easy connection to the stove.

Thanks!
FIREBALL05
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:13 am

A couple of thoughts.. The area over the fridge.... a magnetic knife block of a small spice rack on the side wall and a couple nice wire baskets on the galley wall. I saw one build where the shelves were attached with a french cleat and had a stop block to keep them from hopping off in transit.

As to the propane a few pieces of 1/2 black pipe and the tank could be mounted behind the passenger side fender or even up front. My chuck wagon has the tank in front and the 3 burner stove is permanently mounted in the rear.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion