Dual Axle Tiny Trailers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Dual Axle Tiny Trailers

Postby TechScott » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Has anyone out there any experience building a dual axle tiny trailer (frame)?

I'm looking to build a T3 (Tiny Travel Trailer) to be pulled by a small sports car. The car has only a Class 1 hitch and being a sports car it's low so tongue weight is critical. Thus the thought of using dual 500# torsion bar axle sets on a minimal frame.

Hopefully the collective knowledge of the group can give me some insight. :D

Many Thanks,

TechScott
Mission, Texas USA
TechScott
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Dual Axle Tiny Trailers

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:24 am

The problem with low tongue weight is that the trailer will wander...A LOT!!

You can design a single axle trailer that has low tongue weight, but when you get below a certain threshold (most say 10% of overall trailer weight), the tail will begin to wag.

I don't think dual axle is going to resolve the issue for you.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:46 am

If you weigh the axle (with wheels and tires) of a single-axle trailer chassis and compare it to the rest of your frame, I'm sure it comes close to half, if not more, of your entire chassis weight. Throw another axle, rims, and tires on a tiny trailer and it's going to be heavy. Plus... assuming it's a standard teardrop (I don't know what a "T3" is), you're going to be challenged to find a spot for the door to fit.

Tont
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:02 pm

[quote="jstrubberg"]The problem with low tongue weight is that the trailer will wander...A LOT!!

You can design a single axle trailer that has low tongue weight, but when you get below a certain threshold (most say 10% of overall trailer weight), the tail will begin to wag. The tail wags because the balance point is too close to the front ! Measure the loaded deck only no tongue and the axle should be no less than 60% forward and 40% rear. The tongue should be lengthened to give you 15% to 20% of the unit weight at the ball cup. (Time to drag out the bathroom scales). Most manufactures skimp on tongue length for one good reason that extra 18" to 2 feet costs more and may require slightly heavier wall material.

I don't think dual axle is going to resolve the issue for you.[/quote]

I currently have 7 trailers 5 are single and 2 larger are dual axle. I have always been fascinated with finding a very tiny dual axle frame for a teardrop. :thinking:

When towing a dual the second set of tires serve to snub the sway as the trailer would have to slide one set or the other. ( Watch one make a tight turn to better understand)
A blow out goes from a potential wreck to a simple headache. In fact in an emergency you can tow on 3 good tires. A very short hop just proceed on the flat and for a longer emergency run simply remove the tire and rim and go looking for a tire repair service. With the duals you sort of step over the bumps and pot holes verses hopping over and falling in them. This limits the shock and jerking often associated with towing.

Many dual axle trailers, when uncoupled, will support themselves as the tongue may remain in the air making lifting the tongue much lighter and making hook up easier.

Yes Virginia I would have a mini dual teardrop if I could just trip over the right frame.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:15 pm

Kinda wish this butt swinging monster had duals :rofl2:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:20 pm

What is your tow vehicle?

I don't know enough about vehicle dynamics to comment, but if you plan on having your wheels and tires "inboard" then you will lose a lot more of interior space with a dual axle trailer than a single axle trailer.

I have seen many teardrops towed by small front wheel drive and rear wheel drive cars. I think the wind resistance of a TTT will come into play more than the tongue when towing with a small car.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby TechScott » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:13 pm

The tow vehicle will be a Subaru BRZ. Unlike all other Subarus it is rear wheel drive. Rear wheel drive, a 200 HP engine with a close ratio 6 speed manual transmission should give it plenty of pull power but being a sports car it is, well, low. Very low.

As mentioned by others the purpose of the dual wheel design is to distribute weigh while on the move and to stabilize the trailer when parked.

So far I've gotten a lot of interesting input.

-TechScott
Mission, Texas USA
TechScott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TechScott » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:30 pm

To answer the rest of the questions posed earlier in the thread:

- I'm looking to build a slightly longer version of a trailer like Stacie Tamaki's "The Glampette" http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/search/label/Trailer%20-%20Build.
- Thus the door would be at the rear of the trailer.
- An outboard build build (in my mind) would add interior space rather than take from the standard "between the wheels" build.

Shoot away! I mean really, I'm looking for all the useful input I can find.

-TechScott
Mission, Texas USA
TechScott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby drhill » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:37 pm

I had to google the BRZ, nice looking car.

For a lightly built teardrop the tongue weight only needs to be about 100 to 120 lbs and that shouldn't be a problem even for your sports car. Keep that tiny trunk empty and put the weight in the trailer, near the axle. A riser on the hitch draw bar will take care of any low height problem. And if you use the torsion axle you could plan for a low clearance, low ride height trailer.

As already mentioned, the extra weight and complexity of tandem axles makes no sense on a small trailer. Also tandem axles add a bending moment to the frame when you go over bumps so the frame needs to be stronger than for the same trailer with a single axle. I have never seen dual torsion axles used. The normal is leaf springs with a pivoting shackle in the middle to help distribute the load. My suggestions would be to keep it simple and light.

Enjoy the planning phase of your build. A teardrop will look nice behind that car.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion