Guide Of State Towing Speed limits

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Guide Of State Towing Speed limits

Postby Dan242 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:55 pm

EDIT******* Appears this is outdated info, Some laws have changed,

I ran across this on FaceBook, may be useful to a few.

Alabama
Towing speed limit: 55 mph
Remember this: RV drivers must keep their headlights on at all times when towing in this state.

Alaska
Remember this: Essential items which must be carried are flares or reflective signs, fire extinguishers and a gas detector.

Arizona
Towing speed limit: 65 mph
Remember this: Triple towing with a fifth wheeler is permitted here.

Arkansas
Remember this: Overnight parking is permitted in rest areas, unless the are signs to the contrary.

California
Towing speed limit: 55mph
Remember this: Any vehicle which is towing is restricted to the right hand lane only.

Colorado
Remember this: You are permitted to tow two trailers at the same time here.

Connecticut
Towing speed limit: 55mph
Remember this: RV’s are strictly forbidden to travel in carpool lanes here.

Delaware
Remember this: There must be two different ways to be able to apply brakes to both the vehicle and the trailer.

District of Columbia
Remember this: RV’s can be no wider than 8 feet.

Florida
Remember this: Double or triple towing is not permitted in this state.

Georgia
Remember this: Absolutely not permitted to park overnight in rest areas.

Hawaii
Remember this: 48 feet is the maximum length for a trailer here.

Idaho
Remember this: Passengers are permitted to travel inside truck campers.

Illinois
Remember this: In and around Chicago, it is forbidden for trailers to be on boulevards.

Indiana
Remember this: 45 feet is the maximum length of an RV here.

Iowa

Remember this: Passengers are permitted to travel in fifth wheelers, travel trailers and camper vans.

Kansas
Remember this: 14 foot in height is the maximum permitted for RV’s and trailers.

Kentucky
Remember this: Regardless of weight, Kentucky does not specifically require brakes on passenger car trailers.

Louisiana
Remember this: Passengers are only allowed to travel in pickup campers.

Maine
Remember this: Only one boat or travel trailer allowed to be towed at a time.

Maryland
Remember this: Liquid propane gas is forbidden in I-95 tunnels.

Massachusetts
Remember this: Many parkways in the Boston area forbid trailers.

Michigan
Remember this: A minimum tread of 2/32 inches is required on all trailer tires.

Minnesota
Remember this: The only triple towing combo allowed is a fifth wheel and a watercraft/ATV/Snowmobile or motorcycle.

Mississippi
Remember this: No one is permitted to ride in a fifth wheel, travel trailer or pickup camper.

Missouri
Remember this: A braking system only on fifth wheelers is required by law.

Montana
Remember this: Flares or reflective signs are required on all RV’s.

Nebraska
Remember this: Flares or reflective signs are required on all RV’s.

Nevada
Remember this: While drivers and passengers are not permitted to carry open alcoholic beverage containers inside the tow vehicle, they are allowed in the living area of an RV or travel trailer.

New Hampshire
Remember this: Overnight parking in any rest area in New Hampshire is strictly prohibited.

New Mexico
Remember this: While overnight parking in rest areas is permitted, you are not allowed to stay for more than 24 hours in the same area in any three day period.

New York
Remember this: Liquid propane is strictly forbidden in all New York tunnels.

North Carolina
Remember this: Travel trailers of 1,000 lbs or more must have their own independent brake system.

North Dakota
Remember this: If doing speeds of 25 mph or more, then any trailer must have safety chains attached to the tow vehicle.

Ohio
Remember this: If the trailer has an empty weight of 2,000 lbs or more, then brakes are required.

Oklahoma
Remember this: Maximum length of any trailer must be under 40 foot.

Oregon
Remember this: Self dispensing fuel as garages is not allowed here.

Pennsylvania
Remember this: A fully functioning brake system is required for anything that is towed.

Rhode Island
Remember this: Overnight parking is prohibited in all rest areas.

South Carolina
Remember this: The combined length of both the tow vehicle and the trailer must not exceed 60 feet in length.

South Dakota
Remember this: Any vehicle over 8,000 pounds must stop at the weigh stations.

Tennessee
Remember this: 8 feet is the maximum permitted width here.

Texas
Towing speed limit: 60 mph during the day, 55 mph at night
Remember this: There is a 24 hour limit to overnight parking in rest areas.

Utah
Remember this: RV’s and trailers can be no higher than 14 feet tall.

Vermont
Remember this: A usable fire extinguisher must be carried at all times.

Virginia
Remember this: Only 2 propane tanks of no more than 20 lbs are permitted per vehicle.

Washington
Towing speed limit: 60 mph
Remember this: While overnight parking is permitted in rest areas, it cannot exceed 8 hours.

West Virginia
Remember this: Triple towing is not permitted here.

Wisconsin
Remember this: A special permit is required for triple towing.

Wyoming
Towing speed limit: 60 mph
Remember this: While driving at 20 mph you must be able to stop within 40 feet, if you are towing a trailer.

originally from http://www.doityourselfrv.com/state-towing-speeds/
Last edited by Dan242 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Re: Guide Of State Towing Speed limits

Postby lrrowe » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:27 pm

I think it needs more checking into. There is no date on the article. One poster at the bottom says one state has changed its limits upward. This weekend I was traveling up to 65 mph at times with my CT with police speed traps and behind me with no issues.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 pm

QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:10 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Triple A has a different view: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-speed-limits/

Notice that many states on that list only list speed limits for "house trailers" or "mobile homes". Neither of which should be confused with "RV", "travel trailer" or "camper".
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:51 pm

I recently passed a Texas Highway Patrol car, on I-20, returning home from a camping trip. He was doing 70mph, and I was towing my TTT at 73 mph. He never blinked, but I did a quick double-take; I pulled in front of him, maintaining my speed, and he followed for a couple of miles, before turning off. I also went thru a local radar trap, in southeast Dallas county, at 70-75mph (I think the higher speed), but wasn't flagged, either. I've always towed my TTT and my car-hauler over Texas highways, at (or above) the posted limits, and never had an officer look twice at me, but usually giving my TTT trailer or my Chevelle (on the car-hauler) a quick look. Maybe it's because they see that my equipment is safely secured and towed, my stuff is more interesting than my speed, or that my white hair gives me a free pass. Or perhaps, all three factors. And, the speed limits in Texas for smaller trailers is 70 in the daytime (I actually decrease my speed after dark- not so much to obey the law, but to compensate for my decreasing night vision). Here's a quote, from USA Today: The maximum speed for a towing vehicle in Texas is 70 mph -- on the interstate -- unless posted otherwise. Under code 545.352, that's only in the daytime; it applies to passenger vehicles and light trucks pulling small trailers less than 26 feet long, carrying a boat, motorcycle or animals. For such small trailers, the nighttime maximum is 65 mph.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Vedette » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:03 pm

All way to slow for me! :thinking:
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:11 am

Illinois is a bit wrong, 55 is around major urban areas only. Posted speed limits apply to all vehicles in rural interstates (70mph) including those that are towing a trailer.

Iowa is basically the same, "as posted", 70mph on rural interstates

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 am

wagondude wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:Triple A has a different view: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-speed-limits/

Notice that many states on that list only list speed limits for "house trailers" or "mobile homes". Neither of which should be confused with "RV", "travel trailer" or "camper".

Yes - which I interpret as saying only house trailers and mobile homes have reduced speed limits, and camper trailers, rvs, etc., do not.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:41 am

Pennsylvania is listed wrong. This thread was a good idea but there is too much misinformation. Should probably be deleted.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Reading through that list of regulations for each state is a reason why vehicle laws need to be more uniform for every state. How is a person going on a trip across the US supposed to be able to know all the regulations for each state? Most people probably don't even know all the regulations for the state they live in.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:29 pm

They are actually simpler to follow except regulations are stricter in larger urban areas.

But things like speed limits are always posted. If there is a separate speed for towing it is required by federal DOT to have it posted along side standard speed limit signs.

Also:

"One state cannot regulate the legality of a vehicle registered in another state outside of DOT standard regulations which are the same in all 50 states"

So if one state has a trailer brake requirement but your from another state and your trailer meets your home state requirements, the states you travel to CANNOT enforce their trailer brake requirement on your trailer.

There is federal basic regulations which all trailers, trailer lighting systems, gross weight based requirements etc must be adhered too. Beyond that if your legal in your state. Also city ordnances like a major city has extra regulations, if your from the opposite of the state you are not required to meet their regulations at the city level if your visit is temporary.

Just make sure your stuff is legal in your own state where you leave and don't stay in a state with stricter regulations that your vehicle/trailer doesn't meet for longer than 30 days and there is NOTHING they can do. They can try and if they do, recite what I said above. Watch how fast they back off unless they find you don't meet regulations in your own state, then they can ticket you. Downside of smart phones with internet.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion