Window Knob - replacement

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Window Knob - replacement

Postby Crabapple » Fri May 26, 2017 1:59 pm

MY Prolite has these generic knobs for cranking the windows open and closed. Probably thousands of these installed on campers everywhere. One of mine has the plastic fins stripped inside from being over tightened/turned in the wrong direction. I have tried fixing with epoxy but that fails to hold after a while. Anyone know where to get a replacement for this?
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Window Knob - replacement

Postby working on it » Fri May 26, 2017 2:30 pm

I just googled "rv window knobs", and "plastic window knobs", and lots of sources popped up on each search. They're cheap and plentiful out there, online, and probably in stock at a local RV dealer, being generic.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Crabapple » Fri May 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Yep they all want ~$23 for shipping at the Web based! No RV dealer real close, will have to call and see if they stock these. Thanks!
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Fri May 26, 2017 6:10 pm

I will look in my stuff and see if I have any left can you wait a few days for me to look? When I had tons of them. Nobody wanted them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Fri May 26, 2017 6:50 pm

I'd make one out of a decent hardwood. Just Drill large holes with a forstner bit around the edge of your pattern to get the indentations in the knob than finish cutting out the circle. You could make your inside circle as tight as you wanted. Could even make several at once and have a spare.

art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Crabapple » Fri May 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Padilen wrote:I will look in my stuff and see if I have any left can you wait a few days for me to look? When I had tons of them. Nobody wanted them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I'm in no hurry.
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Crabapple » Fri May 26, 2017 7:34 pm

ae6black wrote:I'd make one out of a decent hardwood. Just Drill large holes with a forstner bit around the edge of your pattern to get the indentations in the knob than finish cutting out the circle. You could make your inside circle as tight as you wanted. Could even make several at once and have a spare.

art

The shaft on the window mechanism has ribs like a gear wheel. The plastic knob has corresponding ribs that mesh with those on the shaft...but being plastic they strip easily if over tightened. At least that's how I think it is. Right now I just have a mini pair of vice grips clamped to the shaft. Works great but I would prefer to get it back to stock
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 26, 2017 11:02 pm

tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion