Harbor Freight trailer specs???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Harbor Freight trailer specs???

Postby tom » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:23 pm

Anyone know if you can change wheel size or even change hubs on the HF trailer recomended for the Cubby on Kuffel Creeks Cubby plans??? I wouldlike to run larger tiresand i cantget enough specs on the unit.
tom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Joseph » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:36 am

Northern Tool sells hubs, but I'm not sure if they'll fit the axle. For purely cosmetic reasons I plan to take my wheels down to my local tire dealer and see if he can find me something larger to fit my hub. He assures me he can, and if so, I'll use the original 12" wheels as spares.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Wheel

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:09 am

I am a green newbie here.... But as I looked into this question for myself I think that the wheel size can be changed as long as the bolt pattern on the hub is the same. The HF trailer I looked at has a bolt pattern of 545, 5 bolts spread 4 1/2 inches. Tractor Supply stores sell trailer wheels with this bolt pattern in wheel sizes of 12, 13, and 15 inches.

Dee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Re: Wheel

Postby Joseph » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:21 am

Hey Dee,
Dee Bee wrote:The HF trailer I looked at has a bolt pattern of 545, 5 bolts spread 4 1/2 inches.

Unfortnately, there's more to it than that. I have a four bolt patten on my HF trailer that matches the "donut" spare for the ZX2, but the center hole on the donut is too small to go over the grease fitting.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby mexican tear » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:30 am

I had the local machine shop take the center "out" of my rims to fit over the hub. I do not think it hurt the rims. When I get some miles on it, that will tell the story.
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby Grant » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:23 am

The 5 on 4-1/2" bolt circle is standard trailer stuff, and almost any 13", 14", or 15" trailer wheel with that bolt pattern will fit the hub. HOWEVER - the critical measurement with regards to the HF frame will be the BACKSPACE of the wheel and the sidewall bulge of the tire you choose for that wheel. There is NOT very much room between the sidewall and the frame on the original HF 12" wheel/tire, and most other wheels have more backspace to them and the larger tires usually have more sidewall bulge.

You can get wheels custom-made with the proper backspace, or you can add wheel adaptors to space the wheels further out, but then you are changing the load-stress geometry on the bearings, thereby voiding the warranty (if any) and potentially wearing out the bearings faster.

You've lots of choices ... but then you've got lots of potential consequences to go with your choices. Ain't playin' with teardrops FUN? ;-} ;-}

Good Luck, and ...

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Re:

Postby mboardman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Grant wrote:The 5 on 4-1/2" bolt circle is standard trailer stuff, and almost any 13", 14", or 15" trailer wheel with that bolt pattern will fit the hub. HOWEVER - the critical measurement with regards to the HF frame will be the BACKSPACE of the wheel and the sidewall bulge of the tire you choose for that wheel. There is NOT very much room between the sidewall and the frame on the original HF 12" wheel/tire, and most other wheels have more backspace to them and the larger tires usually have more sidewall bulge.

How does one measure that critical backspace? From the inboard edge of the rim to the frame ? Or ...?
-- Kansas City
mboardman
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Harbor Freight trailer specs???

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Measure from the inside (Backside) of the rim (Where it meets up to the hub) to the back edge of the rim. But you also have to account for the tire also. You most likely will need wheel spaces to go up to 14-15" rims. A zero offset wheel has the center in the middle of the 2 edges of the rim.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am

Go on "Wheels Vintiques" website to see how to measure Backspace (Woodbutcher is correct), Offset, Rim Size, bolt Pattern, etc.
Also you can see their catalog. They have almost everything anyone would need.
You can order wheels from them with "Custom Backspace" at no extra charge......just a little loner wait.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:28 am

I got my wheels for "Miss Piggy" from "Early Wheels" in Morro Ca.
Had them made with custom backspace $60.00 ea. 6 years ago.
Wheels for Kermit came from Wheels Vintques.
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion